Instruction Manuals Perhaps?

Options
Previously I have lost a lot of weight (90+ lbs), but as most, I have not been able to keep it off. I knew what I needed to do to keep the weight off, but life changed and I wasn't able to put forth the same effort towards myself so I backslid - considerably! Currently, my weight gain is ALL mental. I know what foods I need to eat and how much exercise I need to do to lose, but here I am, back to OBESE! In 3 years I've gained 60 lbs.! And the killer is, I was almost to my goal (only 11.7 lbs. away). I was beginning to see a counselor but with Covid, I've limited my face to face interactions.

I have an all or nothing personality, I am extremely regimented when it comes to how I do things, so when my schedule was thrown off and some situations changed, I couldn't find that new normal I needed. Now I'm eating out of sheer frustration - none of my clothes fit, I'm winded, I'm WAY overweight, my thighs rub together, I'm worried about my health, but yet, I see no end in sight. I start out strong and then by day 2, I'm eating buttered popcorn by the bowl full.

I'm wondering if you all have read any books that have helped with the mental part of losing & keep the weight off. I feel like it's the psychology of it all that I really need to work on as I haven't forgotten the how to lose part, I've not mastered the "reel it back in" part. I would so appreciate any recommendations.

Replies

• veggiepat
    veggiepat Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My heart is with you! I found "Shrink Yourself" by Roger Gould is very helpful. I get it on Amazon and it really helps to analize yourself with the food. I hope that helps!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You sound as if you know some key things about yourself and that is a great thing because self-knowledge is a kind of tool in itself.

The mental weight is real for me, too. Strict alignment in life -- such as needing to adhere to schedules or moving through life in such an organized way -- has been a signal of perfectionism for me; and this always suggests that fear is at work. Regiment is sometimes just fear in disguise. Fear, when not acknowledged and addressed, turns monstrous.