Lack of self control on a road trip and now I’m over my starting weight :(

Options
Ghanima1
Ghanima1 Posts: 3 Member
So disappointed in my self! I had lost about 4lbs and was on track for steady, healthy weight loss. Now I have gained back 6lbs and I’m heavier than my starting weight. I have such a tough time choosing the healthy option when there are so many things on the menu that just look better tasting. And some of the time the best option on the menu was still super unhealthy and high-calorie.

I know some of it is just bloating, but I just feel so awful and sad about it. I’m back home now and cooking for myself and eating waaaaay better again.

Any tips for improving self control??

Replies

• Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How long was the road trip? If it was only a few days then it's going to be a lot of bloating and water weight. Have you thought of portion control instead of choosing foods that aren't as appealing? Get what sounds best but don't eat all of it. Try to focus on how much fun you had instead of the weight. In a few weeks or months from now if you are consistent and stick to it that couple of pounds won't matter. I have terrible self control so sadly no tips, just try to keep going and don't let little setbacks get you too down (easier said than done)
  • AbigailLeannemfp
    AbigailLeannemfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I went on a road trip and I knew I was going to go over on my calories, so since my trip was 3 days long I just switched to my maintenance calories for just those 3 days, allowing me to enjoy myself and also allowing me to stay feeling good. But don't worry about those 6 lbs. You'll get back on track, I believe in you!😉
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you gained 6 lbs of fat and ate 21000 calories over maintenance. Long journeys such as plane or car rides can cause a lot of water retention. Give it a few weeks and the weight will drop off.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Plane rides and traveling in general stress you out and dehydrate you!
    I switch to maintenance for vacations/trips, family things, etc because It will come off again when I get back on track. I do my best to enjoy/relax during the occasion and get back to business when I'm on normal schedule. I've had it happen several times where I come home from a trip and its like the bowels know I'm home and I gotta go!
  • mbaker0510
    mbaker0510 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't dwell on set backs, learn from them!
    Recently, I had a 3 day weekend of eating twice the calories I should have. I went from my 5 lb weight loss (that took 6 weeks to accomplish) to 1 lb. I was horrified that I had put 4 lbs back on in a weekend! I pressed on and behaved myself for the next week. I got myself back down to the 5 lbs lost from my original starting weight. I assume a lot of that gain was from bloat/retention due to high amounts of salt and sugar. Ultimately, I wasted 1 week of potential progress and now fully comprehend the consequences of my choices.