COVID lockdown weight gain

2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I'm going to go against the grain here - I have lost 40+ since mid-April (we won't discuss how much I gained going into that point 😢).
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Yes I have gained 28lbs. Gutted. Could not get back in the swing of losing weight till I remembered low carb worked so well for me before so I’m back! Need to learn everything from scratch!!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Yes, I did. A pretty serious depression hit me and with all this coronavirus stuff, we began eating out again to support local businesses. Think local ice cream shop, local donut shop, etc. ALL the carbs. Also had more time to cook and bake, so that was a problem as well. I did get more physical activity in than I normally do by far. It felt incredible to be outside working in the yard and garden every single day that it wasn't pouring rain. And even sometimes in the rain. We went for lots of trail walks as well.

Unfortunately, I have been very low carb/keto since early July now, but have lost very little weight. I have never had this happen before. For the first two weeks, I normally lose weight very rapidly, then it normally slows a little, but continues to drop steadily. This time, I lost no weight the first two weeks at all. Then it dropped several pounds in a short time and now I have gone three weeks with no weight loss. I am so frustrated by this. I am doing everything I know to do that has always worked before. I weigh everything that goes into my mouth and log it. I drink zero alcohol. I do not eat back exercise calories. I am definitely in a calorie deficit, I am under 50 net carbs per day, exercising most days of the week. I am also not losing inches. If I were, that would be different. So, not only am I not losing scale weight, I'm not losing size either. About to give up. Seriously, why struggle so hard for no results? The only thing left that I know of is stress. Maybe my cortisol is very high. I don't know. I just wish the scale would move down or inches would start coming off. Very de-motivating.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I gained about 7 pounds but have got it off. I decided to eat clean and took 1 day a month and had some junk food but only 1 day and it worked.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    @sljohnson1207 I was in the same situation. I started "clean fasting" morning and afternoon = OMAD. Not adding any cream or milk in my coffee was hard, but it is working, lost a few kilos I gained since the spring! water and black coffee/tea only in the intermittent fasting window seems to be key. Need to keep at it though or it will all come back, I am sure.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Struggling with motivation and consistency. This past month I feel I slipped the most. I really need to make addressing this a priority, before even more creeping poundage settles in. I'm guessing I've gained about 20 pounds since March 18. I've basically been by myself, inside most of the time. It gets old.
    I joined the Sept challenge and I'm just focusing on being more active this month.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    @sljohnson I've had the same problem recently. I started Intermittent Fasting almost a month ago (also read The Diet Myth and have been incorporating some principles and recommendations from there). This time I did lose about 6 lbs pretty quickly but then bounced back up and it took 3 weeks to finally lose another 0.4 lbs. :/ My body holds on to weight so hard! I have also suspected increased cortisol as a factor.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    I gained during our "lockdown" months which were more March Apr May. June got better and have stayed the same since then.....but still need to lose my gained weight. All in all I would like to lose 15 lbs. Its just hard to get focused.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Yep gained close to 30lbs starting to take losing it seriously.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    I should add that my activity has been good. I run, bike, swim and do strength workouts. Its just the food and WINE! :/
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 429 Member
    I gained 30. I'm so disappointed in myself! I'm really trying to get back on track.
  • Yes! I've gained weight back on this CV-19 lock down business. I didn't quite realize how necessary getting out of the house for regular activities (like school) kept weight off. Trying to recover, but jeeze, it's been the devil.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Yes! I've gained weight back on this CV-19 lock down business. I didn't quite realize how necessary getting out of the house for regular activities (like school) kept weight off. Trying to recover, but jeeze, it's been the devil.

Exactly! I used to get close to 10,000 steps daily just by going to work... now some days I don't make it to 500! I have to force myself to take walks (it has been too hot). One thing that helps though is online yoga classes--my friends and I signed up for Zoom classes, and we keep each other motivated. It is good to see their faces every weekend on my screen at least.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    I finally see others who can commiserate. According to MFP, I was 129.8 May 2019. Something that had taken years to accomplish and I had been stable for about 5 years. By the end of that summer I was 138.5. At my FIL death a year ago, I was 142 and was still there at the beginning of March. After months of carbs, snacks, LOTS of ice cream (like 1/2 gallon at a sitting) and no exercise, I was 153 last week when I finally got myself together. Nothing fits and my body feels like cr*p. Trying to pre-track every day. Trying to get into the pattern of exercise and we'll worry about content as I get consistent. And playing with new dietary approach which is a protein vs energy concept while also limiting total calories. Back into the 140's this week.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Working on the Quarantine 15 myself. I was doing great until about June... I just thought since I was in maintenance I could try to eyeball things a bit more and not log and weigh my food. (Which I ALREADY FRIGGIN' KNEW I couldn't do right but somehow convinced myself I could try again. :sweat: )That clearly was a mistake. I need to be able to wear my jeans, if I ever get to leave the house this winter...

I'm behaving. Lost a couple lb this month. Noticing a little slimming back down. This jiggle is goin'!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Gained 30 pounds. As an n=1 I added honey, banana and a apple daily with my gut microbiome in mind.

Later I got heavy into POM brand pomegranate juice. While I still didn't use added sugar and grains the carbs did increase my desire to eat more. I cut out eating honey and bananas and am down 5 pounds.

I had friend that lost a lot of weight and tested positive for Covid-19 end of October and died two weeks ago. Six years ago when I lost 70 pounds I just cut carbs to 50 grams but didn't cut calories. I still eat high fat. Turning 70 in 3 months with good pain management.

I'm in very light ketosis most mornings.