September 15 NSV’s (Non Scale Victories!)

2»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    77tes wrote: »
    Another NSV: I remembered to use my deep breathing & softening my heart during an intense political discussion, and then went to art table (and disengaged from group discussion.) #Self-Care Rules

@MadisonMolly2017 , what a great idea for self-care! Political discussions can get so heated and leave you frustrated. I have unfollowed all my friends on Facebook who want to engage in the angry political debates of the day. It's not that I think the topics aren't important, it's just that I need to maintain a quiet mind.

@77tes
    Exactly. AND there seems to be very little “discussing” 😂

I know I need to continue to keep my head in a good place to do my healthy habits & pursue my other projects.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've had a rough patch the last couple of weeks or so (stupid huge osteo flare up :'( ), but I have popped in at times and read your amazing NSV posts. However I haven't been up for posting much during this second half of September.

In the meanwhile, reading your posts got me thinking about what my most important NSV would be for this month at the midway point.

My best NSV was actually when I shredded my past exercise calendars earlier this month (as noted in the declutter thread).
    After that I found it easier to be more grateful and focus on what I can do now. Since shredding my beautiful calendars I seldom have the intense sad moments like before, and I am getting better at recognizing when one is sneaking in. I've been more able to either just dismiss it right then, or I realize that I need to consider it a bit first if it doesn't want to leave so easily.

This past weekend I ended up with an unexpected 'part two' to my mid month NSV, thanks to my continuing to declutter paper.
    I was going over a particular large batch of old files that needed both my husband and myself to make decisions about. Of course there were some tense bad memory moments for me, but we kept on till they were all finished.

The next morning while I was preparing the files to take to the office supply store for shredding on my next errand day, I told my husband that I had just realized that all of these particular files had just become 'paper' with no emotional component to them any more.

Now, that is when the second part of my paper decluttering related NSV was realized!

Thank you @MadisonMolly2017 for starting this thread. What a good idea you had!

Also thank you to everyone for sharing your NSVs. I really do not have time to comment on each one. They are all so amazing as well as encouraging to read. I am often reminded how blessed I am to be a part of this group! Thank you 💐💖 everyone!

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    @texasgardnr I am sorry to hear about the rough patch. I think the weather changes and such can make osteo flare up also? But your NSVs are totally amazing! And so happy to hear that what was once torture became just paper to be destroyed. I look at my memories on facebook like that sometimes also. At first seeing photos of happier times or loved ones who are gone is so so very painful but now I just enjoy them and they are no longer as 3D as they used to be but merely a faint shadow to notice and move on.

our new leader @MadisonMolly2017 is doing a fantastic BANG up job these past few months. I really never had the privledge of being in the group when the medalist was running it but I greatly enjoy all the posts and am happy to see a few new folks joining in as well.

Reading about your struggles helps me in ways you can know. So thank you for taking the time to post and share and here's to Oct being a better month for you!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,645 Member
    Just looked back and saw @MadisonMolly2017 had asked about FMQ ...

“Do you know what you changed to make the free motion stitching work better?“

I discovered that if stitches look funny to rethread the machine first. Also sometimes the fabric and thread don’t seem to work together well so try a different weight or brand of thread. It’s been going better with practice but there are still some times when it’s pretty messy. And my stitches, well, they definitely need a lot of work!!!
  • nebslp
    @texasgardnr taming the Paper Tiger worked for you, for sure. You inspired me to release my daily planner pages from last year and I feel like I can keep moving forward instead of looking back. I hope you feel better soon. It’s hard to do much when you hurt😞 and good for you for not letting it stop you. Take care of yourself!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    I've had a rough patch the last couple of weeks or so (stupid huge osteo flare up :'( ), but I have popped in at times and read your amazing NSV posts. However I haven't been up for posting much during this second half of September.

In the meanwhile, reading your posts got me thinking about what my most important NSV would be for this month at the midway point.

My best NSV was actually when I shredded my past exercise calendars earlier this month (as noted in the declutter thread).
    After that I found it easier to be more grateful and focus on what I can do now. Since shredding my beautiful calendars I seldom have the intense sad moments like before, and I am getting better at recognizing when one is sneaking in. I've been more able to either just dismiss it right then, or I realize that I need to consider it a bit first if it doesn't want to leave so easily.

This past weekend I ended up with an unexpected 'part two' to my mid month NSV, thanks to my continuing to declutter paper.
    I was going over a particular large batch of old files that needed both my husband and myself to make decisions about. Of course there were some tense bad memory moments for me, but we kept on till they were all finished.

The next morning while I was preparing the files to take to the office supply store for shredding on my next errand day, I told my husband that I had just realized that all of these particular files had just become 'paper' with no emotional component to them any more.

Now, that is when the second part of my paper decluttering related NSV was realized!

Thank you @MadisonMolly2017 for starting this thread. What a good idea you had!

Also thank you to everyone for sharing your NSVs. I really do not have time to comment on each one. They are all so amazing as well as encouraging to read. I am often reminded how blessed I am to be a part of this group! Thank you 💐💖 everyone!

🤠🌺

@texasgardnr Oh you are SO Welcome❣️❣️ We must be our own cheerleaders!!

I’m sorry it’s been rough for you, but YES, what two significant outcomes for you this month!! Letting those things go is HUGE & I believe it helps us let our attachments to food (“It’s just food”) get better too! Very freeing & gives us room (mentally & physically) to grow in new directions🎉🎉🎉

Much Love,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @texasgardnr I am sorry to hear about the rough patch. I think the weather changes and such can make osteo flare up also? But your NSVs are totally amazing! And so happy to hear that what was once torture became just paper to be destroyed. I look at my memories on facebook like that sometimes also. At first seeing photos of happier times or loved ones who are gone is so so very painful but now I just enjoy them and they are no longer as 3D as they used to be but merely a faint shadow to notice and move on.

our new leader @MadisonMolly2017 is doing a fantastic BANG up job these past few months. I really never had the privledge of being in the group when the medalist was running it but I greatly enjoy all the posts and am happy to see a few new folks joining in as well.

Reading about your struggles helps me in ways you can know. So thank you for taking the time to post and share and here's to Oct being a better month for you!

@SummerSkier
    Thank YOU for joining us & being SUCH an interested, active participant!

Trackers are optional...but I think you might like it! Thanks for trying it out- can’t wait to see it!❣️❣️Love you tons

#SmokedOutAgaininCalifornia but still smiling 😄
  • MadisonMolly2017
    nebslp wrote: »
    Just looked back and saw @MadisonMolly2017 had asked about FMQ ...

“Do you know what you changed to make the free motion stitching work better?“

I discovered that if stitches look funny to rethread the machine first. Also sometimes the fabric and thread don’t seem to work together well so try a different weight or brand of thread. It’s been going better with practice but there are still some times when it’s pretty messy. And my stitches, well, they definitely need a lot of work!!!
    nebslp wrote: »
    @texasgardnr taming the Paper Tiger worked for you, for sure. You inspired me to release my daily planner pages from last year and I feel like I can keep moving forward instead of looking back. I hope you feel better soon. It’s hard to do much when you hurt😞 and good for you for not letting it stop you. Take care of yourself!

@nebslp
    Thank you for these tips & advice❣️
    I am having difficulty getting my sewing machine to cooperate...so I’m going to call the shop I ordered the feet from & see if they can help. I can’t get it to see “freely” - it only moves the fabric of teeth are in up position- seems the foot is too low... you DO lower the presser foot, right? Hmmm I did try it with presser foot up but got loops.

Hehe such a challenge but I’m hooked..I WILL figure this out LOL

❤️❤️❤️
    Maddie
  • nebslp

@nebslp
    Thank you for these tips & advice❣️
    I am having difficulty getting my sewing machine to cooperate...so I’m going to call the shop I ordered the feet from & see if they can help. I can’t get it to see “freely” - it only moves the fabric of teeth are in up position- seems the foot is too low... you DO lower the presser foot, right? Hmmm I did try it with presser foot up but got loops.

Hehe such a challenge but I’m hooked..I WILL figure this out LOL

❤️❤️❤️
    Maddie[/quote]

OK. FMQ is a definite challenge!!! Have you disengaged the feed dogs in your machine? There should be a button or something that will let you lower them so they won't make your fabric move. My feed dog slider is well hidden away and I have to take off a couple of easily removed parts to reach it. I do lower the presser foot. It's a process so keep trying and before you know it, voila! It's pretty exciting when it actually works :D If you don't have a book for your machine and can't find the switch, maybe check online and put in your specific machine info. Let me know how it goes. Good luck <3