Don't Let the Bathroom Scale Get the Better of You

Replies

• southernskeeter
    southernskeeter Posts: 26 Member
    speyerj, I do have a scale at home, I try to weigh once a week on Saturdays. the last week has been so hectic I forgot to do it last Saturday. I will definitely do it tomorrow.
  • I weigh daily and discovered my pattern. I hold steady within two pounds either way for two to four weeks, and then suddenly I lose five pounds in two or three days. Then I hold steady at that new weight... and lose more all of a sudden.

And often I find that in the middle of that long plateau that suddenly my pants have gotten just too loose and smaller ones are needed, and that's comforting when you seem to be holding steady.
  • Ccricfo
    Ccricfo Posts: 156 Member
    I weigh daily and discovered my pattern. I hold steady within two pounds either way for two to four weeks, and then suddenly I lose five pounds in two or three days. Then I hold steady at that new weight... and lose more all of a sudden.

And often I find that in the middle of that long plateau that suddenly my pants have gotten just too loose and smaller ones are needed, and that's comforting when you seem to be holding steady.

That seems to be the way I lose weight too. A couple of weeks of bouncing and then 2-3 lbs seemingly for no reason.
  • ly2sing
    ly2sing Posts: 12 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @maiomaio71

I upticked again today so now I am 4.8 pounds (2.17 kg) heavier than 2 days ago. I am a little surprised but overall I know I have been in a deficit so it will sort itself back out like it always does. I suppose I decided if you were going to be 2kg heavier I would be too.

• I've also discovered that stress is a major contributor to it. I know that today I will post no loss, but I was awakened an hour early because one of my partners was having a mental health crisis. That's enough stress for me to retain water and hold steady in weight for a day. There's probably a nice biochemical explanation of cortisol and kidney function, but I definitely have found that there's a correlation between the daily stress I'm having and how long the plateau runs.

Admittedly, it eventually will show on the scale, but it takes way longer if I'm under chronic stress.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I take progress pics periodically but the first few didn't look any different to me. I was going to take one this week but almost decided against it because it had only been 5 pounds lost since my last pic and I thought no way would I see a difference. I was wrong, THIS is the first picture where I actually see a change!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    I take progress pics periodically but the first few didn't look any different to me. I was going to take one this week but almost decided against it because it had only been 5 pounds lost since my last pic and I thought no way would I see a difference. I was wrong, THIS is the first picture where I actually see a change!

@amart4224

You're right - there is a visible change! Congratulations - you look great! :smiley:
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    @amart4224 Nice work! Definitely a difference. I've finally reached the point where other people have started to notice and asked, "Have you lost weight?" I like that stage. :)
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    The best is when people you haven't seen in a while don't recognize you!
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Between a generous serving of chips, salsa and fajitas at a Mexican restaurant (👋🏻 sodium) and a migraine last night. I am up 4 pounds overnight. Thankfully I know it’s just water and it will come off quickly. Now to get hydrated keep going today.
  • alisampm wrote: »
    Between a generous serving of chips, salsa and fajitas at a Mexican restaurant (👋🏻 sodium) and a migraine last night. I am up 4 pounds overnight. Thankfully I know it’s just water and it will come off quickly. Now to get hydrated keep going today.

I eat so little salt any more that the last time I went to a Mexican restaurant and had the rice, I could barely choke it down. It was way too salty. I much prefer to make my own at home.
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member
    Can anyone suggest a scale for high weights.
  • BordeauxBee
    BordeauxBee Posts: 69 Member
    How much weight did you have to lose to before people started to notice you weight loss.
  • My boyfriend and girlfriend said they noticed when I had lost about 15 pounds. I noticed myself at about 30; I suddenly had a ton more energy and my body took up space differently.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I've lost 23 and can see it on myself but due to the pandemic the only people I see regularly are my parents and they haven't said anything whether they noticed or not.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member

@BordeauxBee
    I just bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digital-Bathroom-Measure-Tempered/dp/B01HI1W1V4/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603717296&sr=8-12

There are two options - one weighs up to 400 lbs, one up to 440. I just got it, so can't attest to how well it lasts, but so far it seems comparable to my old one. Fast, quiet, seems accurate/precise enough (I'm currently in the 200 lb range, but assume it would be equally accurate at higher end of its range as well).

I also recall seeing this one that goes up to 550 lbs, but have never tried it: https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Extra-High-Capacity-Extra-Wide/dp/B01ATYK3M6/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=High+Capacity+Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603716914&sr=8-9

I'm not sure about scales for higher weights than that, but someone else might have some suggestions if needed!
    Hope this helps!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »

@BordeauxBee
    I just bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digital-Bathroom-Measure-Tempered/dp/B01HI1W1V4/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603717296&sr=8-12

There are two options - one weighs up to 400 lbs, one up to 440. I just got it, so can't attest to how well it lasts, but so far it seems comparable to my old one. Fast, quiet, seems accurate/precise enough (I'm currently in the 200 lb range, but assume it would be equally accurate at higher end of its range as well).

I also recall seeing this one that goes up to 550 lbs, but have never tried it: https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Extra-High-Capacity-Extra-Wide/dp/B01ATYK3M6/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=High+Capacity+Bathroom+Scale&qid=1603716914&sr=8-9

I'm not sure about scales for higher weights than that, but someone else might have some suggestions if needed!
    Hope this helps!

That is the one I bought. It has an easy recalibration system. Also the extra wide was a feature I really appreciated when I needed it. I bought one that I had a hard time seeing the number while on it and it would disappear very quickly when I stepped off. It took me several tries which I suppose was good for step exercises but kind of frustrating as a scale.