Optimal October!

Options

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way no word on my knees yet I’ve called in and left messages but right now I’m just too excited about having my car in the garage oh happy days thanks for your support sweet ladies
  • magic71755
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I will post one or two more pictures to give you a really good look at what a fabulous job she did !
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Wow Magic!!! Looks great, congratulations! I know how good it feels to look around and feel calm instead of overwhelmed or just plain out depressed by the chaos.

el6r8h604ixf.gif
  • Mihani
    Options
    I am super tired. Still having off and on issues with my lower back. Doesn't hurt during the day but at night when I'm in bed. I'm going to sleep in my recliner as that always seems to feel better. I need to check the home emails and get some dinner then I'm going to relax and read until I fall sleep which I imagine will be really early.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hello...newbie here, barging in on your little beautiful Plantland here.

Officially been a vegetarian for about 10 - 11 years, then a "messed up vegan" a few. (ate cheese) Yesterday I finished a "Mary's Mini". Needed it to break myself of some of my bad habits and get myself accountable & back on track. I let myself get way out of control, eating whatever, however and whenever I wanted, and the result was a gain to only 10 pounds away from my top weight back in 2013. THAT was not cool!

Since doing it, I feel more in control of myself, and "calmed down". In 10 days, I lost 6.5 lbs, the lowest weight since Feb of this year. Occasionally I still fancy something sweet, but now that I am bringing fruit back in, I'm hoping that will calm down. After binging a lot of "Plantiful Kiki" on YouTube, I'm planning on eating Dr. McDougal's way, since the stripped down version has worked well so far for me, and "Doing vegan right" this time!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    03y5u38xloh0.gif

@magic71755
    Woohoo! Your before and after garage pictures are super inspiring! I am so happy for you!
    How nice to have created so much more calm and peace in your life with all that decluttering!

@Mihani
    I hope you slept well. Back issues can be so tiring.
    On the plus side -- your diet has been great, so yay for that!

@dreamer12151
    Howdy! Welcome to our peaceful, happy plant-based corner of the internet!
    Your "Mary's Mini" sounds like it was a great idea! I have a sweet tooth, too, and mostly sate it with apples, acorn squash, butternut squash, and the like. For McDougal -- my son is a big fan of the McDougal oatmeal cookies, and they are nit hard to make. Hopefully, as you go on, you'll find some yummy-to-you options that help you stay on track!

@ShredWeek1
    Thinking of you and hoping you are well today!

I am doing well today, food-wise! I have gotten some project work started, and have more to do. I am about to get out a timer and do some 20 minute sprints ("Pomodoros") to take some ground.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Dreamer! Welcome to the group! It's a happy place. :) I've been vegetarian for a long time and vegan since I think 2012. I started out WFPB vegan then went to an awful junk food vegan place, and now back to (mostly) WFPB. When I first went vegan there weren't many tempting treats because everything had some sort of milk in it, but then the market exploded with items that I just had to try and now have to avoid. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Austin, excellent day! Hope you make good progress on your projects.

I am still soooo busy with work and super stressed. I did sleep better in my recliner last night. I'm going to look into adjustable beds. My mattress and boxsprings are probably going on 10 years so it's time to get new and I think an adjustable bed would be a great choice. In the meantime, I'm going to sleep in the recliner for the most part. The dog doesn't like it... he doesn't get on furniture (he came that way and I decided not to "untrain" him) other than he does like to sleep in my bed so he isn't happy when we stay downstairs. He has a comfy dog bed in the same room as the recliner so he has to deal with it.

I'm taking a day off tomorrow which is MUCH needed. I'll be in the office Saturday though so it's not like a long weekend or anything. Sigh.

• Mihani
    Options
    Enjoying my day off so far. Slept in, drank leisurely cups of tea. Had a dentist appointment and now going to relax and read the rest of the day, maybe some laundry, but I really just want a total laze around day. There are so many things I should do around here, but I honestly just don't want to do anything. I think I'm entitled to that once in a while!
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    @Mihani Thanks! I looked through a few posts before I joined, and it looked like an embracing group. Reading about your dog made me miss my girl even more. Had my "fuzzy daughter" for 14 years, and in Feb had to make The Decision. As far as beds, I just got a Beautyrest a few months ago from Wayfair and LOVE it!! Wish now I would have sprung extra for the adjustable frame, but I'm part Scottish & Norwegian, so anything to save a buck, I guess? lol

The story about me was when I was young, about 3 or so, was my daddy asked me "what do you think? Is Mom a good cook?" to which I apparently said "Mummy is a good cooker, I just don't like the black stuff she fixes." (Daddy is American, mum is English, I'm a hybrid, so I'm "bi-lingual! lol) Took him a little bit to figure out "that black stuff" was meat! Several years later (and I recall this one) I asked him if I could become a vegetarian, to which he said "I would not have a problem if you did so, but you don't like enough vegetables to sustain you!" So I choked down the black stuff for many years (put my foot down against pork products in my early teens though - blech!), until I was in my early 40's and finally woke up & thought "This is stupid! Forcing myself to eat something I hate!" So I stumbled through until I think I finally have found my answer.

I am recovering - 10 weeks today - from rotator cuff surgery, so I am trying to formulate myself right now, with plans to "get back to it" come the new year. (NO "resolution", just space for healing) I used to run, so I plan on slowly running again, and do a small weight training program. Going to turn 52 in Dec, so body is changing, need to get proactive, starting with diet!
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    @AustinRuadhain Thank you! I love butternut squash and one of my fave recipes is "Sweet Potato Soul's" Butternut squash Mac & cheese...SO SO good! (I omit the Brussel sprouts) Have yet to try acorn squash, it intimidates me. I did look up the McDougal oatmeal cookie recipe, but hmm, looks like having to buy extra ingredients. May have to look for another one to try because now I want oatmeal cookies! lol
  • ShredWeek1
    ShredWeek1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good evening, Plant Tribe and welcome Dreamer!

I've been MIA since our internet connection has been wobbly due to an unceasing amount of rain. I personally like thunder cause with all the lights in the city I can seldom see any natural celestial activity, but the internet seems to have a different opinion.

I had my annual physical: Down 5 lbs since this time last year. My glucose has dropped down to 73, and from what I've read the lowest acceptable end is 70, and below that is time for concern.

I've been eating largely potatoes and...veggies or some beans. It may be time to eat more on the low end of the glycemic index and add more protein (my blood protein tetters just one point above worrisome.)

So, my fatigue is telling me something, and my labs are confirming it.

On to beans, tofu, tempeh, and perhaps entering the uncharted waters of kitchen appliances that are not the microwave or airfryer...!

So glad to learn that we are at peace in our own lands.

And, Austin, Pomodoro is the bomb! I am a timer maniac, and just this week I started time tracking to figure out where the heck my time is going and how to "timeblock" better (timeblocking my current enthusiasm...)
  • ShredWeek1
    Options
    Dreamer: I broke my arm/shoulder in October, 2018 and it took a full year to get back to 90%, and then just as I started back at the gym...the virus...so I'm with you, I'm just getting back into it. I love weight training, and it is discouraging to me able to lift only 7.5 lbs, but I know with physical conditioning it is all consistency so I've worked out 4 days week thus far this month, and going for 6 in November. And, up to 35 minutes a day with a goal of 60.

Welcome, again!

So many dog lovers here, too!

• Mihani
    Options
    Hi y'all... couldn't get into the community yesterday on mfp for some reason.

Hair appointment this morning then quick visit to a friend, grocery for just a couple items, then up to my home office to work the rest of the day.

I love doing strength training too. Nothing like feeling strong!

Dreamer, hope you continue to recover well. That's a funny story about when you were young. When I was a kid if I thought about what I was eating being an animal I would just start to cry and couldn't eat any more. I rarely ate meat but didn't commit to full on vegetarian until my late 30's. Sorry to hear about your pup. I always had 2 or 3 dogs, but after my last shepherd passed away a few years ago I decided it would just be me and my lab mutt for a while. He's 12 but being mostly lab he still acts like a puppy and I work so much I'm just not ready to bring in a new member of the family.

Shred, hope you can adjust your diet to get feeling better. I don't eat enough beans lately. Going to get back to adding a cup of beans to my salads and/or make a bean soup every few days for lunches. I love to make a pot of beans and greens with different veggies and spices. Can change up the flavors so easily by using a variety of spices.

Better go start getting ready to go! Busy day ahead. At least I got laundry done yesterday so that's out of the way.

• magic71755
    Options
    Welcome to our newest member...Dreamer! Love that we are growing.

Completely plant based today...but with a few helpers ... Follow Your Heart Gouda for my sandwich. Work food is not easy for me...maybe it will be in the future...but right now, my head is kinda goofy.

Off to work in a minute...my weekend includes a visit with my oncologist on Thursday...so a blood test on Tuesday...hoping it was ordered. Geez ... and I have not heard back from ortho surgeon. Brother! major eye roll here.

Later, dollies.

• ShredWeek1
    Options
    Happy Sunday Plant Tribe!

I'm combining Weight Watchers with Mcdougall and down 3.5 lbs since I started, so a half lb a week fairly steady. I've asked my doctor if there might be other reasons for my fatigue, and perhaps seeing an endocrinologist might be in order (since I'm post menopausal.)

Started drinking an a.m. shake of almond milk and Vega Sport Protein, which for 160 calories in 30 grams of complete protein. I've a pretty active woman (work out daily, walking, running up and down stairs, job, family, dog.) so I may be getting too litte...we'll see how I feel.

So long as I stay plant and whole foods, I'm feeling good about this path.

Hope all is well! Next week the goal is to work out 6 days a week an hour each time. Our gym is open, and like a high tech science lab (there are actually shields around all the cardio equipment, plus individual air purifying systems...) so that coupled with the fact that I'm there and out by 9 a.m. helps me feel safe.

Take care, my lovelies!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Good luck with your appointments this week, Magic! Hope your work week went well.

Great job so far with your pounds down, Shred. Hope the protein boost helps your energy. I have been feeling very fatigued lately too. I've cleaned up my diet and got rid of the crackers, pretzels, etc. that are always my downfall, eating more fruit, no snacking. Maybe I'll start seeing some improvement soon.

B - oats with blueberries and chia seeds
    L - Dr. McDougall soup and an apple
    D - big ol' salad with garbanzo beans and ginger miso dressing

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

So happy to be back on after troubles getting in!

It is Tuesday, my super busy day, but I want to check in and say hello. I am committed to having a good health and fitness day today, too! I even started the day with a yoga type workout (Classical Stretch), a session which will help with my plantar fasciitis, which has been whispering to me of late.

I have 2 projects to concentrate on, and after this, I will go work on them. I am doing pomodoros for projects today -- 20 minute sprints.

Food yesterday went according to plan - hurray! I read an article yesterday that claimed you were way more likely to eat according to plan if you wrote things down ahead of time, so here goes with today's plan!

B-coffee & cashew milk, green smoothie (flaxseed, hemp hearts, broccoli, spinach, blueberries, cinnamon, turmeric), cashews, apple slices
    L-steamed greens, navy beans, with tomato & onion; steamed turnips, beets and zucchini; green beans; steamed jicama and cranberries with diced apple
    S-cashews (or almond butter? may be out of cashews) and apple slices
    D-big raw veg salad with a mustard-y dressing

@Mihani - I hope those dietary tweaks help address the fatigue. Doubling down on more fruits sounds like a great adjustment. You often seem to feel better when you go light on those favorite flour-y snacks!

@ShredWeek1 -- Hurray for those big workout plans! And good for you for keeping an eye on numbers and planning dietary adjustments to move things along.

(The older I have gotten, the more intolerant I am of high glycemic index foods -- darn it! So you have company of a sort, and sympathy!)

@magic71755 - I am glad you are making progress on managing your medical items. Your eye roll made me smile. Medical folks are definitely your hired help, and it can be like herding cats!

@dreamer12151
    Mmm! That butternut squash recipe sounds delish. Acorn is a lot like butternut, just less easy to slice! I like them both!
    And am out of both! I need to go shopping tomorrow after I go vote!

Stay safe, friends!
  • magic71755
    Options
    just a fly by with my menu...getting back into juicing to help alleviate some of the arthritic pain I have been experiencing of late...

coffee
    celery juice
    carrot/apple/ginger juic
    tostado bowl with beans, LTO, salsa, corn
    steamed veggies for dinner with a shower of microplanned VIOLIFE hard parmesan ...using the microplane makes clouds of cheese...uses very little with lots of taste. so big bang for your buck...and JUST in case someone does not know...VIOLIFE is plant based cheese

dessert: not sure

gtg...love you guys.

Oh yes, using a tortilla that is plant based and gluten free

• ShredWeek1
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Plant Tribe! I'm increasing my protein via Vega Sport Protein, and also sneaking it into my husband's daily eating. Also, bought a weighted blanket on Amazon, which I read in the New York Times has been found to help with insomnia. So far, so good.

Take care all!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hello all... busy week at work as usual, but I have got out (almost) on time the past two days. Last night I was so tired that I fell asleep in my recliner at around 8:00 and only got up once in the middle of the night, slept right through the night. I realized after the fact I only had one cup of tea all day and probably having caffeine withdrawal. Oops!

Austin, always so inspired by your varied menus. Yum to all those steamed veggies! Hope you got all your projects done today with your time sprints.

Magic, hope the juicing helps. Taco salad sounds so good. Think I'll do that next week.

Interested to hear how your new blanket works, Shred.

Dreamer, hope you are doing well!

Today was good...
    B - oats with blueberries and chia seeds, a few walnut halves
    L - Dr. McDougall soup, apple, a few Lundberg rice thins
    D - big ol' salad with chickpeas, ginger miso dressing

I had work to do this evening and have an appointment after work tomorrow, but Thursday I will get to the treadmill and weights in the evening.