Protein supplements taste terrible...need options

Options
epiphany29
epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
edited November 2020 in Social Groups
I had the lap band in 2010, and removed in Jan this year. I was converted to bypass Oct 14.

Before by pass I regularly drank a protein shake for breakfast and most tasted fine. Since the surgery they taste terrible and I can barely get them down. I am struggling to get my protein as recommended by my Dr as a result. I have tried several and they all give me this issue. They make me want to gag as I drink. I'm taking small sips and spacing them but just feel grossed out with it.

Some ones I have tried are the Body Fortress (my former go to), Ensure Max, Atkin's, Quest, Lean 25. Lean Burn, and Muscle Milk.

I have tried mixing with milk, 50/50 milk/water and just water...no difference.

Anyone have any ideas on what would taste good?

Vicki

Replies

• mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of protein shakes until I tried Premier Protein Chocolate shake (premade, not powder). I had a gastric sleeve in 2014, tried all of the brands out there and ended up throwing them way. Then I tried Premier and I've been drinking them ever since (I especially like making smoothies with a shake, ice and frozen berries).

I had gastric bypass surgery October 29th and I'm also struggling with food/drinks tasting right. So I pour my Premier drink over a cup of ice and I like it. I've even tried a smoothie and it also seem good. Not like it tasted pre-surgery, but it is a good source of protein until my taste buds get back to normal!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. They are better than the others and I'm getting my protein in.

Vicki
  • monalisa401
    monalisa401 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fairlife 30 gm is the best tasting. I use to love Premier until I tasted Fairlife
  • atmdaddy
    atmdaddy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with monalisa401-Fairlife 30gm tastes great! I also use vanilla protein powder and mix with Fairlife with fresh fruit and blend it.