Roller coaster of Life - Creating Your Own Path - 75 Hard

Options
HoneyBadger302
HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
Not only has 2020 not gone to plan, it's gone so far off "plan" that there are some days I just sit there scratching my head going "how the h@$$ did this all happen?!?"

Weight-wise, after gaining back to my previous starting point, I dropped a little bit, and have maintained that - still about 20-25 pounds over where I should be though. Gyms remain questionable at best, so I found an alternative way to get some activity by volunteering at the horse barn to help with morning chores 2-3 hours M-F.

My current/old employment situation has been an on-going nightmare all summer long as they have strung me along, but no opportunities elsewhere have presented themselves. I am simply in the wrong industry with no experience in anything that is actually "growing" right now, and add in a saturated market of applicants, it seems that my "little cow" has been pushed off the cliff (if you're not familiar with the little cow story, here's a link: https://philipchircop.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/push-that-cow-down-the-cliff/)

So, I decided to take my business (that I originally had planned to just be part-time for a year or two) full time on a very accelerated timeline. While it's exciting, it's also very stressful as I have been one of those "paycheck to paycheck, slave to the company" employees, so I don't have months of savings to fall back on (I'll have 2-3 months of expenses once I'm "laid off" assuming they try to screw me over on severance which they've already indicated they hope to do, so already engaging with a lawyer in case - but that's another story).

With all of this going on, decided it was time to head on tackle some of my other struggles the past ~3 years, and as part of shifting that mindset and helping myself get set up for success in the areas I care about, I've decided to also start the 75Hard program. Intention being multi-layered:
1. Help develop a "do it regardless of the suckage" mindset day in and day out.
2. Develop activity and eating habits that I have otherwise been too lax on.
3. Create some focus and structure in a time in life when I am facing down complete unknowns
4. Give myself something each day to say "I accomplished this" even when all the life curveballs keep coming.
5. Set myself up both physically and mentally to start accomplishing my goals that have been 'out there but not attained' for 3 years running (those involve my motorcycle racing, finances, and fitness/weight)

Anyone else in here doing the 75Hard (or done it)? Care to share your story?

Replies

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm very glad to see you back here @HoneyBadger155 ! I miss some of the regulars here and it's nice to see you again.

I'm sorry to hear that so many thing went wrong for you this year (or past years) but I think that your 5 main goal plan is realistic and will indeed help you focus. It' clearly your wish to turn things over and gain back control over three important areas in your life right now and you seem dedicated and motivated.

However, please also be kind and not to harsh on yourself. It's a good plan to change tack when it's not going as you wish, but small steps towards your goals are sometimes better than a radical change.

I wish you all the best !

Btw: I've never heard of 75Hard, but according to the first and only article I read about it, it's more of a ponzi scheme than an actual plan. Be careful.
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Well, there's no money involved (unless one chooses to buy the book or app, but you don't need to buy those), so not sure that it can fall into a ponzi scheme lol. I've had several people I know go through it (some multiple times), and it's definitely more about building that mental discipline than anything.

I (used to) have the mental "muscle" to make things happen - all reasons aside, reality is that I have let that muscle weaken. I also have lost that sense of balance between pushing myself and berating myself. There are some valid reasons for some of this stuff, but now seems like the perfect time to reactivate that part of me that has crawled into a bit of a hole.

Radical change is pretty much being forced on me (getting laid off, have been applying to jobs for MONTHS with nothing coming through, and I've never been "unemployed" although during college I was self-employed). It's terrifying, I'm single, I have no well-off family who can help, so that means figuring it out. I'm tired of being a slave to the corporate BS, and that is something I have let myself fall prey to - so time to change that.

Honestly, I'm overall excited about the change - yes it's scary (and some days are definitely rougher than others), but I've let the bs from outside influences have way too much power for way to long (and have felt very "untrue" to myself during it all!!!) - so taking that power back.

I know it won't be fun - much of it won't be "fun" - but I am pretty dang sure I won't regret it, either.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really impressed by your commitment, and your willpower. You rock girl ! :smiley:
  • AleLue_1
    AleLue_1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your future endeavors! I’ve found it difficult to stick to my diet during the pandemic stress but am working slowly to make good food choices. You got this!
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    AleLue_1 wrote: »
    Good luck on your future endeavors! I’ve found it difficult to stick to my diet during the pandemic stress but am working slowly to make good food choices. You got this!

Ya, I'm fairly certain the diet part will be the hardest part of this for me - there will be days that second workout will be tough, but the food - that is my weakness, and I don't think I've ever gone 75 days without ANY cheat meals...