pulled muscle

Options
1961Fowler
1961Fowler Posts: 12 Member
Hi all.. you can tell I’m in the over 50 group.. pulled a back muscle getting out of bed. Not extreme but not strong enough to do major exercises like deadlifts. Taking it easy, no workouts and trying hard not to drown my sorrows by eating. Just needed to vent some of my self-pity 😕

Replies

• Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    @1961Fowler - You have my sympathy and vent away! I had a sciatica injury that took almost a year to recover from with PT. I am a runner and am still going very easy because I really don’t want to reinjury. Take it easy and make sure you get it looked at if it does not improve in a few days.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,838 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @1961Fowler

Oh nooo sorry to hear about your pulled muscle! Like the previous post stated vent away.... A month ago I did the same thing in my calf, I iced and kept it elevated for a few days. A couple months ago previous I decided and signed up for a virtual races.

Please take care of yourself and if it don’t improve in a few days, get it looked at.

I’m taking it one day at a time...
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Do take it easy. Nothing worse than a re injury. Does ice help?

And I won't complain about my pulled groin muscle.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    1961Fowler wrote: »
    Hi all.. you can tell I’m in the over 50 group.. pulled a back muscle getting out of bed. Not extreme but not strong enough to do major exercises like deadlifts. Taking it easy, no workouts and trying hard not to drown my sorrows by eating. Just needed to vent some of my self-pity 😕

Ugh, sorry. Hope you feel better soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that :(

Do you have a foam roller? I adore mine!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    @1961fowler Based on our user names, I think there is some chance we are the same age. I ended up in a similar state last Sunday, the 13th, by throwing a large branch into the woods. Boy did it mess with me last week. Suggestions that I have are to keep the blood moving. I have found with my previous back issues (one from moving a pen on my dresser by one foot to the left - kind like your getting out of bed) that if I can get myself out and walking, or better yet, jumping on the elliptical, that that has helped it a lot. Add some careful stretches and a heating pad and some advil, and I seem to be able to skip the PT. I do think I need to take this as a hint though that I need to be strengthening my abs, back and upper glutes to provide more protection.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Feeling any better?
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I use Voltaren Or A535 when I over do it. Sometimes need to resort to painkillers like Robax.
    Also get some relief with foam rolling and hot baths.
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    About a week and a half ago I also pulled a back muscle. I'm thrilled that the pain has finally started to get better. Moving a lot slower, but starting to re-engage. Merry Christmas!
    @1961Fowler I hope yours is better too.
  • 1961Fowler
    Options
    @ridiculous59 yes, I am feeling better. like @WThyme I'm still not moving at my norm without little aches here and there, but TONS better than I was! Thanks all for suggestions!
  • 1961Fowler
    Options
    @SModa61 yes I too was born in 1961. Pulling my back muscles was an eye opener. As I aged, how I carry my weight has changed. I'm much more top heavy than I used to be in my younger days. I know that the extra pounds on top strains my back muscles more. Plus it means that I need to get exercising more to strengthen my core.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    1961Fowler wrote: »
    @SModa61 yes I too was born in 1961. Pulling my back muscles was an eye opener. As I aged, how I carry my weight has changed. I'm much more top heavy than I used to be in my younger days. I know that the extra pounds on top strains my back muscles more. Plus it means that I need to get exercising more to strengthen my core.

@1961Fowler Ya, I've still got a "burn" going on in my back, ever since Dec 13th. I have no issues with being "top heavy" as I have very little left "up there". That said, you are wise to realize the relationship between weight around the middle and above. That can certainly pull on your back. On bad days, i sleep on the floor with a pillow under my hips, and I wake up feeling great. My walks seem to really help as well, and also, oddly, my planking helps too. What keeps setting me back right now is my 11 month grandson. A day of picking him up, sets me back.