How to get back on track?

aygbc
aygbc Posts: 6 Member
Hello! I had Sleeve about two or three years ago (my sense of time is awful) and lately have been really struggling. I’m worried I’ve stretched my pouch. This morning I put up 5 pairs of jeans that are two small and I swear would have fit last week. I need help and need to get back on track. It looks like I’ll be back to work in couple weeks unless something changes and we get shut down again. I work as a Groomer, on my feet all day, lifting/pulling twisting so I know getting out of the Covid slump will help a lot but I still need to do more.

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    The struggle is real! My best advice is to start logging your food, every bite! It’s amazing what we can slid past our surgeries! If you log everything you may be able to pick out where you need to adjust things!
    And find things for self-care and distraction! These are insane times and we need to be kind to ourselves!
  • abouthergrace
    abouthergrace Posts: 3 Member
    I’m five years out and I’m currently doing a “reset.” It sucks but hopeful it’ll give me a fresh start.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    I’m five years out and I’m currently doing a “reset.” It sucks but hopeful it’ll give me a fresh start.

Can you tell me how to do a reset
  • Tugsandpull
    Tugsandpull Posts: 40 Member
    Same here
  • HLaR79
    I think there is mixed science in pouch reset, instead of doing a reset maybe it would help to go back to the basics, measure and log your food, get your 80 grams of protein, exercise 150-300 minutes a week!
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    I too am three years out and wavering. Hoping to get back in synch with good habits starting NOW!!! Reading, posting, logging are all things that work for me. When I go AWOL you know it is not going well. LOL
  • HLaR79
    DawnCumm wrote: »
    I too am three years out and wavering. Hoping to get back in synch with good habits starting NOW!!! Reading, posting, logging are all things that work for me. When I go AWOL you know it is not going well. LOL

That’s how I feel, I lost touch then I lost myself again, I am measuring logging and connecting this week! It feels better already. I am 2.5 years out and have slipped on 10 lbs this year, since I don’t want that 10 to be 50 I’m taking control now!
  • mdecoteaux
    mdecoteaux Posts: 4 Member
    I am 19 months post-op with a VSG and have found that the holidays are particularly difficult to abstain from all the best foods. Today I decided to start logging every bite again. I feel SO much better when I track my food... more energy, less moody, etc. it just seems like the best option for me when I start to slip. Lately I have discovered pastas made from chickpeas and lentils. These seem to be a great alternative to traditional pasta for us. I can’t (physically) eat much of them but they really hit the spot for that craving and are still a great source of protein. Anyone else in this group feel free to add me to your friends. I need more motivation & support! I also use a FitBit if anyone else is on there. 😀
  • DawnCumm
    Let's do it together! I am just getting back on the wagon, this year has been pretty tough. The stay at home has for some reason pushed me into bad habits. Starting today, day one about done! tracking and getting my protein. yay!!! let's all do day two, three, and so on!!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,679 Member
    I had the sleeve in 2013 and went from 317 to low-140's which is goal for a 68yr 5'8-1/2" female.

I gained some back 2-3 times and each time got it off again for a couple years before hitting another trigger. Most recent is the Covid+40#; and I'm back on track right now, having lost 15 and anticipating reaching pre-Covid weight by next spring.

I get scared when it creeps up to 180# and that makes me really buckle down. My problem is carbs. Switching to fat-burning (lo-carb) instead of glucose-burning helps me avoid the sugar-cycle (hunger; eat; insulin spike; crash; hunger; eat...). Different metabolisms work different ways. For me, lo-carb gets rid of cravings and lets me maintain without pulling my hair out.*

Everything helps: exercise; tracking (and pre-planning) meals; drinking water; avoiding alcohol; always having good foods prepared to avoid "bad snacks"; etc.

I have stretched my pouch out to the point I could eat large meals. But it shrunk back - it still helps me feel full with smaller amounts.

A sleeve reset helps shrink your stomach again. (And may help kick bad eating habits too.) It is going back to the way we ate right after our procedure: first liquids, then purees, etc. You can google it. Here is a link: https://jetmedicaltourism.com/gastric-sleeve-pouch-reset/

*BTW, I lost hair when I lost weight and started eating collagen bone broth supplement powder this year and my hair is thick again. It's amazing.

Good luck.
  • DawnCumm
    So peeps, how are you doing? Everyone back on the wagon? Just one week out and dragging behind, not sure I am actually on the wagon yet. Figure one day a week I will allow me to have some items that I should not (mainly a glass of wine) just to keep me from going crazy and because my grandkids. LOL Sunday family dinner. Jump on with me please!!!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Figure one day a week I will allow me to have some items that I should not (mainly a glass of wine) ...

This is why I count macros and calories. I make sure to hit my protein goals because I am lifting weights five days a week. Beyond that, I kinda let the carbs and fats fall where they will. So, if I want alcohol, I deduct the calories and make sure I'm staying under my calorie goals.

I'm five years post-VSG, had a 45 lb regain, down to the last 10 lbs...finding the right macros post-bariatric surgery while lifting has been difficult. I'm not so concerned about my weight at this point as I am my overall physique. I have baby muscle definition for the first time ever!

• atmdaddy
    atmdaddy Posts: 51 Member
    I'm only 14 months post-op. Since hitting my lowest weight of 212lbs. I've maintained somewhere between 216-220 lbs. I count my calories but eat what I want and cheat on some things at times especially during the holidays now. I think maybe because I stay active and have been looking at putting back on muscle that I lost. I've added more protein to my diet due to working out more. After ready about 5 years out stories here I may have to not cheat as much. I'm happy with 220lbs. after being 324-325 lbs. pre-surgery. Appears I feel the same as many of ya'll-more energy, less moody(not that I was before!), less joint pain, etc. One of the best choices I ever made. I'll be 62 next month and certainly don't feel or act my age! Cheers to the holidays and future success stories!!
  • DawnCumm
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    Figure one day a week I will allow me to have some items that I should not (mainly a glass of wine) ...

This is why I count macros and calories. I make sure to hit my protein goals because I am lifting weights five days a week. Beyond that, I kinda let the carbs and fats fall where they will. So, if I want alcohol, I deduct the calories and make sure I'm staying under my calorie goals.

Could not agree more Nicole, you are my hero five years out and still engaged / doing well. I have three years down and waver every now and then but trying to at minimum use the FP food diary to keep me within the lines. Now I just have to keep up the streak of logging in and engaging with you all. After this week, exercise needs to be a priority.