Christmas dinners 🍽

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
If you celebrate Christmas πŸŽ„ what are you having on the big day? I'm cooking prime rib roast, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, and pumpkin pie plus one other dessert probably cookies. Yes, I'll be going over my calories that day!

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    We're traditionalists at our house. Turkey, stuffing, brussel sprouts, carrots, and roast potatoes. For dessert I make a trifle with layers of chocolate cake, strawberries, chocolate mocha cream cheese, whipping cream, and chocolate shavings. I make the trifle once a year and yep, I'm going to enjoy it 😁
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I will be alone this year.. so I'm still undecided. My family is pretty strict about the pandemic as many are cancer survivors. And my roommate is going to her brother's for a few days.

Dont feel bad for me, after decades of living alone and many huge family gatherings. I'm fine staying home alone.

I was going to grill a steak, but it'll only be 20 degrees so maybe not.

Plenty of cookies for sure.

• Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    We are not traditionalists, I make each of my 3 kids favorite dishes... My youngest - I don't really make, I buy a tray of Chick Fil A nuggets, My oldest son- I make Pasta salad, and for my daughter I make jalapeno popper taquitos... then various dishes to go along with it, like this year we are doing, mac and cheese, meatballs and turkey pinwheels... It's basically make it and snack on it all for days....
  • backinthesaddleagain57
    Options
    My husband is making prime rib, fresh green beans, mashed potatoes or a baked potato and an apple pie for dessert. I am going to enjoy it but not overdo it. I will measure everything out like I did on Thanksgiving.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I usually do prime rib (that's our idea of a traditional Christmas dinner), but there won't be enough people this year, so I'm doing something different (we are talking about maybe a Christmas in July with people who otherwise would have come to dinner). Right now we (my sister and me) are doing a mini 7 fishes for Christmas Eve (with 3 fishes) and will decide on the Christmas menu today. Grilling was actually one of the ideas too (my sister's SO and another friend may or may not be with us, and sister's SO is vegetarian, so grilling would be one easy option--we did that on the 4th, of course), but the weather does NOT look cooperative!
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My husband is of German heritage and it will only be the four of us this year so I am making Schnitzels for the kids, Rouladen for us along with Spaetzle, Brussels sprouts with bacon and an eggnog cake.

I have to say I won’t miss the bird this year!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Eggnog cake sounds intriguing. I have a feeling I shouldn't add this into my life, but do you have a recipe?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'm soloing, too. I decided this was a good excuse to cook & eat/drink whatever I want (and however much of it I want), traditional or not. (Since I'm vegetarian & usually holiday with non-veg in-laws, my usual traditional is a little weird, too.) I took the same approach for Thanksgiving, and that was enjoyable.

Christmas or Christmas Eve (maybe both), I'm thinking a shepherd's pie sort of thing, lots of veg with some tempeh for protein, veg/mushroom gravy, and the mashed potato topping. I'm starting early with roasting most of the veg for heartier flavors. The sweet potatoes and turnips are in the oven now, and rutabega, eggplant, parsnips and carrots being prepped for roasting (when I'm not typing πŸ˜‰).

Breakfast one of the days will be one of those puffy supposedly German oven pancakes with fruit & yogurt.

Still waffling about dessert. My favorite local brewery did a special limited-edition release of imperial stouts for the holiday, 5 varieties, and I have some in the fridge. One option for dessert would be a drink, one of the sweeter stouts with vanilla ice cream (yeah, people do that). I got some whipping cream, figuring that no matter what I decide about dessert, fresh-whipped cream is unlikely to hurt it. Or I could just whip and eat the cream. πŸ˜‹
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    We’re not visiting with anyone this year.
    We have a variety of traditions that we follow. Christmas Eve we have a French Canadian dish called tourtiere. Christmas Day breakfast we’ll have eggs Benedict. Christmas dinner we have a German dish called rouladen with potatoes and red cabbage.
    In a typical year we’d have Christmas pudding for dessert, but not worth making it without a crowd.