Is your menopause similar to your Mother's (or Sister's) as far as age and symptoms

Options
2»

Replies

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not similar at all. My mom had menopausal symptoms serious enough to be talked into HRT, which eventually killed her. I had none whatsoever. Aside from the obvious cessation, my menopause was entirely non-symptomatic. Even my doctor was a little surprised. He shrugged and said "Eh. It happens."
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    wow - flaminica, consider yourself one lucky woman!! Sorry about your Mom. I have symptoms, but not bad enough that I want to take HRT....I deal with the hot flashes.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Alyson. 51yrs. I'm new here in this group. I've been pre medapausal for several yrs. I think I'm getting closer to medapause. But I still have a monthly period. I'm seeing clots now. I have had some night sweats and hot flashes for a yr. But nothing continual.
    As far as am I like my mom or sister. I'm the oldest. My mom had a hysterectomy. My aunt was still cycling at 53, my grandmother had that ant in her 40s. So by that notion I seem to be possibly following the family. But I'm not sure.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I know I am reviving an old thread here, but I just wanted to say it's kind of comforting to see I am not alone in having no point of reference for what to expect. My mother had a hysterectomy at 27. My sister and grandmother had hysterectomies in their 30s. We often joke that I have the last uterus standing, but I had no idea when to expect perimenopause to start or what symptoms to look for. I have only recently realized that I've been having hot flashes for months now. And only though reading this thread have I come to realize the migraines I've had in the last two weeks and the heart palpitations that were plaguing me a while ago are probably also symptoms. I've also been having weird sleep patterns. Last week I kept waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm went off for no apparent reason. This week I've been staying up way too late. Don't even get me started on the moods! :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know I am reviving an old thread here, but I just wanted to say it's kind of comforting to see I am not alone in having no point of reference for what to expect. My mother had a hysterectomy at 27. My sister and grandmother had hysterectomies in their 30s. We often joke that I have the last uterus standing, but I had no idea when to expect perimenopause to start or what symptoms to look for. I have only recently realized that I've been having hot flashes for months now. And only though reading this thread have I come to realize the migraines I've had in the last two weeks and the heart palpitations that were plaguing me a while ago are probably also symptoms. I've also been having weird sleep patterns. Last week I kept waking up 1-2 hours before my alarm went off for no apparent reason. This week I've been staying up way too late. Don't even get me started on the moods! :D

Have you seen the list of 34 symptoms of menopause? I was STUNNED. I had a weird vertigo like thing that I came to call wobbly eyes, blood sugar crashes for the first time in 20+ years, weird ocular migraines, night sweats, incredibly sore breasts, etc. etc. It wasn't until after my last period that I had classic "hot flashes" and then heart palpitations. Crazy. I also had NO point of reference (as I mentioned a while back).
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Have you seen the list of 34 symptoms of menopause? I was STUNNED. I had a weird vertigo like thing that I came to call wobbly eyes, blood sugar crashes for the first time in 20+ years, weird ocular migraines, night sweats, incredibly sore breasts, etc. etc. It wasn't until after my last period that I had classic "hot flashes" and then heart palpitations. Crazy. I also had NO point of reference (as I mentioned a while back).

No, I haven't seen the list, but did you say vertigo? I've been having minor episodes for the last year or two! Ocular migraines started in the last 2-3 years. I think I need to do some research!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

No, I haven't seen the list, but did you say vertigo? I've been having minor episodes for the last year or two! Ocular migraines started in the last 2-3 years. I think I need to do some research!
    https://mpoweredwomen.net/medical/what-are-the-34-symptoms-of-menopause/

https://www.menopausenow.com/symptoms

YEP. Vertigo. Or something like it.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    Well my periods are becoming irregular. So I went to the obgyn. They checked my hormones. Ive been told. Im headed towards menopause,but not in menopause. Im 52. My aunt was still having per period in her early 50s. So it looks as tho Im running like the family.