Solid Foods transition

Attended a nutrition class yesterday to begin the transition some six-weeks after post-op (Vertical Gastric Sleeve) from pureed/soft foods to solid foods. Last night, ate 2 oz. grilled chicken breast with BBQ sauce on top, and a small amount of mustard greens. This morning, 1/4 cup egg whites, 2 slices of Canadian bacon and a small amount of sauteed spinach. Since I began the pre-op diet on Oct. 22, I have lost 55 lbs.
Pre-op diet plan was two weeks of liquids and 1 small meal and final day before surgery of just clear liquid. Post-op was two days of clear liquids, then 2 weeks of protein shakes/c;ear liquids, followed by four weeks of pureed/soft foods.
What does your plan/transition look like for VSG patients? How is your transition to solid foods working or worked for you?
What suggestions on meals and planning do you have to share?

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Hey! So my plan has one full week of clear liquids, 2 weeks of all liquids, 2 weeks of purees, 2 weeks of soft, then a gradual progression from there.

The biggest things I remember, as I transitioned from one phase to the next, the amount I could consume DIMINISHED greatly. That's completely normal. As the viscosity and density increases, the fuller you'll feel in the beginning.

As I got to purees and soft foods, if you think your "bite" is small enough, it's probably not. Small, itty bitty, bites. Put your fork down and listen to your body. EACH TIME. Just because you had chicken yesterday won't guarantee your new stomach will like it again today! Stop, and think. Don't just eat.

SAUCES ARE YOUR FRIEND. Especially in the beginning, I needed everything WET. When I got to scrambled eggs I would do a soft scramble and add salsa at the end.

WATER. In the first several weeks, don't worry about your protein as much as your fluids. You do NOT want to dehydrate. No one wants to be in a hospital right now, especially for fluids. You won't be able to drink much. I LITERALLY set a timer for every five minutes I was awake and took a sip. SIP SIP SIP.

For some people, myself included still five years later, temperature may matter. Some days my body doesn't like certain temps. If I have a hot coffee and it sits hard, or hurts, I try cold. Some days, it's the opposite. Some days, BRING IT, I can drink it all.

I can drink plain water, but it's weird. Hopefully, someone else can back me up, but the texture and viscosity is harsh to me. I need to add something whether it's Crystal Lite or lemon juice, it doesn't matter, it just needs something to make it seem softer, so I can drink it quicker, which means I can get enough.

Steak is a food to wait to introduce. In the beginning, ground meats are easier to digest since grinding them basically starts the process.

Raw veggies are hit or miss for many people. Lettuce seems to be the roughest. Many can tolerate spinach and other greens, but lettuces are rough. I suggest trying a raw veggie at a time, not jumping straight to a salad.

I think that's it, sorry for the stream of consciousness, it's been five years, remembering is not linear, lol

• Thanks Nicole! I have been doing well with solid foods in terms of reactions (or lack of them). I have even had steak, cooked rare and thinly sliced into small bites. I am staying away from starches completely (rice, potatoes, pasta, breads, cereals) and sugars.

• claudiayaz1
    claudiayaz1 Posts: 10 Member
    I am one week post op exactly, I did two days clear liquids before surgery, liquids for 5 days post op (phase 1) and I am now in phase 2 which is liquids and purées and I do that for 3 weeks.

Phase 3 is where I start with soft foods and mix in protein like fish, eggs, chicken etc.
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Purée is fun! It’s amazing what you can purée :) I know some people who just ate baby food!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    The World According to Eggfqce has a great ricotta bake which is able to be eaten in the puréed stage. Also Bariatric Eating has an entire section just for the recipes and some are really good and you can search by purées too. Good luck!
  • HazelGrazie
    HazelGrazie Posts: 9 Member
    I loved the ricotta bake! I'm 7 months down, 133 lbs lighter but still am having limits with foods. Just saw the Drs after my 6 month post op for the bypass and the labs are all looking good. Chicken is literally my favorite and yet I just can't stomach it at all. I also have different taste and it's just kind of blah to me now. I have been doing well with anything turkey based (turkey meatball, turkey burgers that are cut down, even turkey bologna). Eggs still pretty harsh for me. I still do a lot of supplementing with atkins shakes and protein2O. Dr said it was pretty normal though and got the ok on what I'm doing.

I work from 4 pm to 3 am daily in a factory and that is a bit of a challenge in terms of eating. I am never hungry except when I come home after a long shift but will have part of a mild slim jim. I just started being able to eat apple so I'm trying to eat that when coming home. Sounds like everyone is doing really awesome with their transition!