Introductions!

Options

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    January I think I will experiment with giving myself 300 extra calories a day (of quality veg/protein food) along with an increase in daily activity of 1.5 hrs a day daily min, with walking counting. I've noticed my pattern being that the days I exercise a lot (ie: days I run 2+ hours or hike 4+ hours), I always tend to over-eat the day after since my body is technically starving and trying to repair itself. And when I am in starving mode, this is when I tend to consume things that are not good for me!!!

This is leading to the undereating-overeating cycle that is so bad.

As weird as it sounds, let's see if the "eating more" approach works.

I can tell you that it really does work. At least for me. But I did not add so much as a time. Just 100 a month for a few months running. My TDEE when I finished losing in 2017 was 1850 cals. Right now I am on a small cut for 2 weeks and that is what I am eating. LOL. TDEE appears to be around 2100 for me (and I am short old and light). The only reason I am cutting right now is I want to improve my pace so down a pound will help take pressure off joints etc. and hopefully help pace. I find that what you write is true and on longer run or hard exercise days my appetite is depressed somewhat so I have to make sure to eat enough that day also. If I don't I am very hungry the next. I call this the roller coaster and it leads to unhealthy in my case eating. My mind and body appear much happier when I set a level and stick to it for cals. Best of luck!

Thanks for this!!! I am 5 feet tall and age 55, sitting in front of a computer all day. I'm an efficient mesomorph which means the second I reduce or stop exercise, my physiology rushes to store all it can. I also lose fairly quickly but sadly, it seems to be muscle loss and not as much fat. Darn hormones.

Already getting hip and lower back pain from too much weight bouncing on those aging joints. Dieting while exercise is tough but I will slowly add in quality calories at the right times and hopefully January will show some improvements.
  • tchnlrn1229
    tchnlrn1229 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Malted Tea. We've managed to have a building full of students and staff relatively safely, but it's been a daily stressor -- and I need to quit stress eating! Looking forward to more positive structure!
  • oh_jackie
    oh_jackie Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thank you for organising the group! Going for Veganuary and no added sugar this month. Good luck to everyone!
  • allisond8
    allisond8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I’ve got a long history with MFP, but this is my first UAC! I’m excited! I need the accountability to lose the 40 pounds I need to lose. Nice to meet you all!
  • GreyGirl915
    GreyGirl915 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, I'm new to UAC but have used MFP for years and love it. I was doing very well with fitness, getting to the gym 5-6 times a week until the pandemic. I live in NYC and the lockdown really set me back. I miss the social part of my life that we all shared and enjoyed. I'm back on track and looking forward to giving and receiving support and accountability from this group. Good luck to all.
  • hollyroregon
    hollyroregon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello all, new to this challenge. This is our year and I am excited for change. To get ready I have planned and prepped meals for this week and scheduled in time to move. Oregon Mom and coach.
  • griffith0008
    griffith0008 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mom of 4 and 1st grade teacher. I had my last baby in Aug., and I'm here to keep myself motivated to loose the last 20 lbs. of baby weight.
  • Alisonph2018
    Alisonph2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning, looking forward to the accountability and community aspect of this group.
  • VitalityMags
    VitalityMags Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to RangerRickL for facilitating this challenge – and to all you participants for being here!

I’m 5’3” tall and weight 161 today. I’m in training for my 80’s, which I’ll enter in March, so it’s imperative to regain my health and fitness ASAP.

Last spring and summer I was battling ilio-tibial band trouble and couldn’t even walk around the block for several months. Fine now, I think, so I’m ready to restart the fitness program that was short-circuited. Fortunately I’ve developed the habit of a light workout every morning – a good start.

My ultimate goal is to run again. I ran (oh-so-slowly) in my late 40’s and early 50’s, and it was the only athletic/exercise activity I’ve ever enjoyed, so I’ll pick it up again this year. Just don’t tell my family; they’ll worry. When I ran before, I weighed 140, but it was very hard on my knees, one of which now has arthritis pain. I think I’d better not run seriously until I’m down to 124 – probably by mid-September.

I have two primary challenges beyond the usual deficiency of self-discipline. (1) I live in Hoquiam, Washington, which has 88 inches of rain per year and dangerously ill-maintained sidewalks; and (2) I’m married to a semi-invalid woman who is not interested in adjusting her diet. I’ve always prepared our dinners, and although she has said I don’t have to cook for her, it’s awfully difficult to start separating the meals. (I’ll appreciate encouragement from anyone who has mastered that challenge!)

Although I hate logging every BLT, I’m sure it will be essential. Accountability and support have been my missing factors for a long time, so I look forward to being active in this group.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Thanks to RangerRickL for facilitating this challenge – and to all you participants for being here!

I’m 5’3” tall and weight 161 today. I’m in training for my 80’s, which I’ll enter in March, so it’s imperative to regain my health and fitness ASAP.

Last spring and summer I was battling ilio-tibial band trouble and couldn’t even walk around the block for several months. Fine now, I think, so I’m ready to restart the fitness program that was short-circuited. Fortunately I’ve developed the habit of a light workout every morning – a good start.

My ultimate goal is to run again. I ran (oh-so-slowly) in my late 40’s and early 50’s, and it was the only athletic/exercise activity I’ve ever enjoyed, so I’ll pick it up again this year. Just don’t tell my family; they’ll worry. When I ran before, I weighed 140, but it was very hard on my knees, one of which now has arthritis pain. I think I’d better not run seriously until I’m down to 124 – probably by mid-September.

I have two primary challenges beyond the usual deficiency of self-discipline. (1) I live in Hoquiam, Washington, which has 88 inches of rain per year and dangerously ill-maintained sidewalks; and (2) I’m married to a semi-invalid woman who is not interested in adjusting her diet. I’ve always prepared our dinners, and although she has said I don’t have to cook for her, it’s awfully difficult to start separating the meals. (I’ll appreciate encouragement from anyone who has mastered that challenge!)

Although I hate logging every BLT, I’m sure it will be essential. Accountability and support have been my missing factors for a long time, so I look forward to being active in this group.

We'd worry about you running too but it sounds like you're reasonably determined! As you get started, perhaps avoid running on concrete - at least this year - and opt for an outdoor track? Heck, I've done laps in baseball fields just to reduce joint pain and the excessive body shock that comes from pounding pavement.

As for the meals, is there a chance to consider having a meal service bring them to you both? That way, each of your dietary preferences are taken care of. For example, in your area, I found...

http://coastalcap.org/meals-on-wheels/

...which can deliver frozen meals (made from scratch) to you, your spouse, or both.

Otherwise, there are meal prepping strategies online that account for various dietary preferences in a household.
  • jensam327
    jensam327 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    New to UAC. Looking forward to the accountability on a daily basis. Hope I can stick with it and see results. It's hard not going to the gym and getting out and seeing people. The kitchen pantry and fridge call out to me all day!!! Thanks for this challenge!