What exercise are you doing?

Options
I started my fitness journey a few years ago. Started with yoga, moved to body weight and cardio and now lift weights and do cardio.
I’m a fan of BeachBodyOnDemand. I’ve done their programs PIYO, Brazil Butt Lift, 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme. I’m currently doing Muscle Burns Fat.
I’ve recently downloaded a new app called FitOn. It is free and so far I’ve been impressed with the workout quality.
I also go for an hour walk most days.

What exercise are you doing?

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like popsugar fitness videos on youtube for cardio/light weights. I use Sydney Commings for strength workouts and am exploring other youtubers. There's another gal who does a nice weight workout - her name is Kat something.

I also ride my bike a few miles here and there. Up to 10 miles in the warmer months, probably 5 or 6 in the winter.

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I run daily weather permitting. I also have a pull up bar - and I try to do 30 pull ups a day. I use a band to assist. I have been doing it for years and I surprised ( and grateful) as to how much that has helped my upper body strength. I swear it helps my back too as I have osteoporosis in my hip but not spine.
    I used to alternate swimming with running but don't feel comfortable going to pool now with COVID. I sure miss it. I never actually enjoy the swimming but the way I feel after I have done it is wonderful. It's just so easy on the joints as well. Can't wait to get back to that.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I run daily weather permitting. I also have a pull up bar - and I try to do 30 pull ups a day. I use a band to assist. I have been doing it for years and I surprised ( and grateful) as to how much that has helped my upper body strength. I swear it helps my back too as I have osteoporosis in my hip but not spine.
    I used to alternate swimming with running but don't feel comfortable going to pool now with COVID. I sure miss it. I never actually enjoy the swimming but the way I feel after I have done it is wonderful. It's just so easy on the joints as well. Can't wait to get back to that.

Pull ups! I miss going to the gym and doing those (with assist- never could unassisted). Any recommendations for what I should get at home?

I've been avoiding the pool too, for the same reason. I'm going to Boulder in February- my husband is getting stem cell treatments for injuries in his hip and back- and the pool at the hotel reserves it for one guest at a time so I will swim everyday if I can. I hate the goggle marks but really enjoy the workout.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    Options
    I love to ski (we live trail side to a green run) but haven't been out much this season because my husband hurt his hip and back and can't go and he's my ski buddy. My daughter is doing school from home this week, so we went out for a few runs today during class break. It was just what I needed- getting outside, spending time with my daughter. It was very uncrowded so I didn't even get stressed by covid fears.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    [

I use one of those pull up bars that you put over the doorway. So simple! I bought a few of those bands (you can buy on line) to put on the bar to assist me in getting up. The bands come in different thicknesses. It is not easy! I feel it really helps strengthen your core. You may start out with the thickest band so that will be easier and then move to a thinner one. If you can't find one on line let me know and I will try to look for what I have.
    That is wonderful if you can go swimming and have the pool to yourself. I'm just sorry it has to do with your husband injuries....hope that will go well for him.
    I'm glad you got to run with your daughter. I was able to do that with mine over the holidays. I just love that I have one who likes to run! Makes the running so enjoyable!
    PS...you shouldn't have goggle marks.....maybe they are too tight?
  • backinthesaddleagain57
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill and do light arm weights. I do 5 lbs. now and am trying to work up to 8 lbs.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, sometimes elliptical, and I like to swim in summer
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Summer, row on water 4 days a week, weather permitting, used to do spin classes on another 2 days pre-pandemic. This summer I did more walks/bike rides on the off days. Before the rowing club opened (pandemic closure during early part of the season), I'd gotten into a routine of rowing machine 6 days a week, longer pieces 3 days, shorter pieces with a weight lifting session on the other 3, focusing mainly on exercises to balance out the unevenness of rowing.

In Winter, I usually mope a lot about the river being frozen, then do the Concept 2 holiday challenge to snap myself out of that (200k rowing machine between US Thanksgiving and Christmas eve, which I do as 6 days a week with 1 rest day). After the challenge, the "hate" side of my love/hate relationship with the rowing machine is in full bloom, so I slack off for a while.

Most years, the spin classes would continue through Winter: Not now. So, I'm doing a bit of rowing machine, occasional walks when the weather isn't as challenging, and trying to talk myself into doing some Y or Silver Sneakers video exercise thingies, or resuming weight lifting again, or *something*. I've been pretty active for 15+ years now, and tend to go through this mope cycle every Winter, so I'm not too concerned. It'll end, somehow, once I get cranky and uncomfortable enough from not getting exercise.

P.S. I have one of those doorway pull-up bars, too, and it works fine. I admit, I rarely attempt actually pull-ups or chin-ups, but will do some desultory dead hangs or hanging knee raises and that sort of thing. When I was working on getting to a pull-up or chin-up, another thing that was helpful (besides the bands for assistance) was doing negatives: Stepping from a right-height stool into the upper end of the exercise, then slowly lowering.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I have a pull up bar, I should start using it !

I do yoga and hiit with the Down Dog app, Leslie Sansone videos, we also walk/hike/jog about once every 2 weeks. I bought tennis racquets but we haven't used them yet. I have a rower I never use, I have a treadmill I can't use because it hurts my feet. My son just bought a Peloton Bike, it will be here 1st week of Feb.. Then we have various free weights, kettlebells and balls

You'd think will all that I would be in great shape, Nope... but I am working on it, right now I am really liking the hiit app..

But my schedule is usually 10min hiit, and 30 min Leslie video every weekday morning, then yoga, strength or another Leslie Video in the evening, I need to work more on strength... One of my goals is to be able to do a handstand by the end of the year, so I need to work on a plan to get there...
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    I try and do lots of different things. The end result is that I'm not super accomplished at any of them, but I don't get bored :)

I'm like @AnnPT77 and my favourite exercise is on the water. In a normal summer I paddle on a dragon boat team twice a week. COVID took that off the table (off the water?) this past year but instead I did lots of kayaking and canoeing. I enjoyed it, but its not the same as the rhythm when you're part of a 20 person team. Every spring I re-start C25K and then continue till late fall.

Winter months are for snowshoeing and cross country skiing and I try to get out at least every other day. Shoulder season (the snow is too poor to ski but roads are too icy to run enjoyably) is usually when I go to spin class or a deep water running class. Not this year though :(

I do weights a couple of times a week. Sometimes with a HASfit youtube workout. Sometimes just on my own. I'm currently taking a yoga class one day a week and then I'll do it at home once a week with Adrien, or on my own. I also have two very active dogs who make me get outside every day.

When I started this journey eight years ago at 232 pounds I needed a solid routine so I had a gym membersip and stopped there every day on my way home from work. Now that exercise is an ingrained part of my life, I like waking up in the morning and thinking "Hmmm, what shall I do today?" (One of the best parts of retirement!!!!). It usually depends on the weather, i.e. when its -30 I'd rather do some weights or yoga than go skiing! But doing nothing is never an option because even my "rest days" involve walking with the dogs. They just get shorter walks at -30 LOL
  • SavageMrsMoose
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    [

I'm glad you got to run with your daughter. I was able to do that with mine over the holidays. I just love that I have one who likes to run! Makes the running so enjoyable!
    PS...you shouldn't have goggle marks.....maybe they are too tight?

It is great to exercise with your kids, isn't it?

And my goggles probably are too tight, but I'm very nearsighted and wear contacts and I'm terrified of losing one when the goggles leak! It's just a trade-off, I suppose
  • SavageMrsMoose
    Options
    I try and do lots of different things. The end result is that I'm not super accomplished at any of them, but I don't get bored :)

It usually depends on the weather, i.e. when its -30 I'd rather do some weights or yoga than go skiing! But doing nothing is never an option because even my "rest days" involve walking with the dogs. They just get shorter walks at -30 LOL

I hate walking my dogs in the cold, here too. But cold where I'm at is below 15 degrees.... I finally bought some Mushers Wax for the dogs paws and it seems to help. What kind of dogs do you have?
  • ridiculous59
    Options

It usually depends on the weather, i.e. when its -30 I'd rather do some weights or yoga than go skiing! But doing nothing is never an option because even my "rest days" involve walking with the dogs. They just get shorter walks at -30 LOL

I hate walking my dogs in the cold, here too. But cold where I'm at is below 15 degrees.... I finally bought some Mushers Wax for the dogs paws and it seems to help. What kind of dogs do you have?

I have a 12 month old golden retriever and an 18 month old border collie. I've never used anything on my dogs' feet. But I rarely take them on sidewalks that have been salted. We usually walk trails, ski, or snowshoe.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    Options
    [/quote]

I have a 12 month old golden retriever and an 18 month old border collie. I've never used anything on my dogs' feet. But I rarely take them on sidewalks that have been salted. We usually walk trails, ski, or snowshoe.[/quote]

You are busy with a 12 month golden! I've never had a border collie, but I've heard they are very good dogs and very smart. We have two goldens 10 and 6. I have never used anything on their feet before this winter. They hate boots. But when its below 15 degrees on their morning potty walk, they pick up their feet from the cold. The younger one must go out first thing or she goes in the house and I can't let them out without a leash. Too many fun things to chase.

I see all these other people cross country skiing with their dogs and I'm kind of jealous. I'm pretty sure mine would trip me and I would end up in the ER
  • ridiculous59
    Options

I see all these other people cross country skiing with their dogs and I'm kind of jealous. I'm pretty sure mine would trip me and I would end up in the ER[/quote]

This is our golden's first winter skiing because she was born last January. She's doing really well and I've only fallen over her once, maybe twice LOL And they soon learn to stay out of the way of the poles. Our local xc ski area has two designated off leash dog trails. One takes about an hour to complete and the other is about 1.5 hours. The dogs love being out with us and for me, its my favourite winter exercise.
  • tripsmom3
    tripsmom3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I am new to the group as of this morning. I just did 20 minutes of general strength training with light resistance bands then 40 minutes on the treadmill. I wish the weather was nicer so I could get outside. I need to retire and get a dog but that is going to have to wait! Thank you for the motivation you bring to this group.
  • ridiculous59
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yesterday was a trifecta of winter workout goodness❄.

I usually meet up with friends three mornings a week and we power walk a paved riverfront trail. Sometimes we need snowboots. Sometimes we need "yaktrak" type grips. But yesterday it was perfectly plowed and sanded so it took us under 55 minutes to do the 5 km loop. After lunch I took the dogs for a short 50 minute snowshoe to my favourite park. And then in the evening my husband and I went for a cross country ski (using headlamps) on absolutely perfect trail conditions.

It was a very good exercise day so I had lots of room in my calories for pizza 🍕 and a rye and Zevia ginger ale 🥃. I went to bed feeling very tired but happy 😴