Has anyone else find pork rhinds to be their trigger food?

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I know pork rhinds dont have carbs but do have calories. Just today I decided not to eat them, I get too carried away with these Salt and Vinegar pork rhinds. Weight is edging up and I want to catch it before too much damage is done. Have ya found any low carb foods to be a trigger for you?

Low carb has worked so good for me but when it is a trigger food, I know I dont need that.

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nope, can’t say they do...i think maybe the first time i bought them when i missed chips perhaps.

yes, currently do have a low carb or rather zero carb trigger food!! it has resulted in me going over calories a lot on a few days in last two week plus...it’s a keto bread mix by Ketonia that turned out to make an awesome loaf of bread and it isn’t almond or coconut based!! it tastes like the real thing or rather in between white and wheat bread that is..
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    potato chips...I will eat the whole bag...it doesn't matter how big the bag is...

On the plus side, just picked up a legit single (3) serving of Utz Crab Chips, which won't fit into my calories until Wed, but I will eat all 440 delicious calories of them at that time...3 serving my booty, even non-trigger folks would eat the whole bag, come on!!!!

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat anything that is salty and crunchy (i.e., emotional eating), be it chips or pork rinds. But the pork rinds fill me up and I stop eating them sooner, and they are zero carb. So an occasional treat for me. (I do like making keto crunch cinnamon cereal out of pork rinds -- crush some into a bowl, add plain yogurt or milk, 1 tsp cinnamon and a bit of sweetener. Yum!)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I can't even have chips in the house for hubby, oh and cheese curls. Absolutely forbidden. Pork rind, even the flavored ones don't do anything for me. I do buy the plain ones, grind them and use to make other things though, excellent protein bump.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Here's a nutrition label from Utz Pork Rinds.
    bcimft1cep3m.png
    Note that beside the 8 grams of protein it indicates "not a significant source of protein". Every pork rind bag I've ever seen has that statement somewhere on the bag. There's a plethora of info on the internet explaining how something can have protein but not be a "significant source". It seems pork rinds fall short on the essential amino acids and contain mostly non-essential or "junk" protein/amino acids.

I mention this only for those who strive for certain levels of protein for perceived health benefits because pork rinds may not be providing much more than a number.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    potato chips...I will eat the whole bag...it doesn't matter how big the bag is...

On the plus side, just picked up a legit single (3) serving of Utz Crab Chips, which won't fit into my calories until Wed, but I will eat all 440 delicious calories of them at that time...3 serving my booty, even non-trigger folks would eat the whole bag, come on!!!!

Oh i gotta find those.

My family eats several bags a week. It's a great crunchy snack i can have if i am craving it. No carbs and protein. How can that be a bad thing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My no/low carb trigger food is old cheeses. I can eat a 1/2 kilo over the course of an evening. And yes...thousands of excess calories in fat will definitely still keep you from losing. I do like my organic blue corn tortilla chips. But I've sworn off them for the next few months because I get carried away. Can't just have 5 or 6. More like 1/2 a 350g bag.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    In the past they might have been.. But thus far my fiancé and I are pretty good only eating 4 or 5 pieces or a half serving worth totaling 40-45 calories. We typically snack on it when we get home, and during supper preparations.

Before low-carb, my fiancé didn't fancy them at all. Now that were both on Keto, she has changed her tune, and like them a lot. They really hit the crunchy salty craving.

For the real Low-Carb bread that cooks, smells and tastes like bread... Click.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10825652/best-low-carb-bread-no-flour-was-used
  • limixn321
    limixn321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Before I had to do a major diet change I never once tried pork rinds. Always thought they were "bad" even though I would happily sit down with a huge bowl of mac and cheese. lol
    Plain pork rinds are meh, but make great panko substitue. LOVE the hot and spicy kind and found myself snacking on them a LOT. So switched to the microwave hot and spicy, a bit more expensive but I can eat the entire bag and not feel guilty. (not a lot in them but SOOO good.)
  • MistralSheep
    MistralSheep Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never knew pork scratchings were so low carb! Thanks for the info, I just bought some for those salty crunch cravings.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use them for breadcrumbs. Made meatloaf tonight and everyone loved it. lol
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I gave up the salt and vinegar pork rhinds but now I buy the small packages of pork rhinds which are salt and pepper, barbecue and some other kind. This works well for me. If I buy the small packages it is more expensive but really helps keeping me disciplined.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,940 Member
    Options
    I found bbq and spicy buffalo pork rinds and I made a bacon green onion cream cheese ball to pair them with.. as long as I measure them I am fine ....if I just grab a bag and sit down then I will eat them all