Books and their movie adaptation

Options
bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
I've read several books that became movies. And was usually disappointed in the movie.

Any good ones? And would you read the book after the movie? Or before?

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    These are older and I preferred the books, but I thought the adaptations of the following two Dennis Lehane novels were very well done:
    • Mystic River
    • Shutter Island
    Both were phenomenal books, imo.

Initially I was going to say see the movie first, but I changed my mind. I think you need to read the books first (especially Shutter Island).

• PKM0515
    Options
    Also, Michael Crichton's "Jurassic Park." Both the book and the movie were fantastic.

• bebeisfit
    Options
    I read Fried Green Tomatoes (Fannie Flagg) after watching the movie. Loved both!

I read Misery (Stephen King) years after watching the movie. Both were terrifying.

Recently, I read Flight Attendant (so-so book) now a series on HBO. I've only made it through a few episodes, but it's not that great..plus I know the ending.

I read Little Fires Everywhere (Celeste Ng) and enjoyed it, never finished the series on Hulu.. love both actresses, but thought it moved too slow.

@PKM0515 I've always wanted to read Jurassic Park, but never have. I may have read Mystic River...not sure. haven't seen either movie.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @bebeisfit

I know it's older, but if you like suspense, I highly recommend reading Jurassic Park. I read it decades ago, but it was really good.

I like a lot of Michael Crichton's works and was so sorry when he passed away. I love this essay he wrote on Happiness: https://www.michaelcrichton.com/happiness/

If you like thrillers, Shutter Island was hard to put down.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    @bebeisfit I second Misery, it's one of the only of his that I think came out as good as the book.
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I thought the adaptation of Legends of the Fall was stronger than the spare and distanced narration in the book (maybe one of my least favorite of Jim Harrison's).

I could not agree more about Misery--scary as hell both ways!

Carol
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    “The Mists of Avalon” was an amazing read and a pretty well done adaptation. I would read the book first, and the movie is hard to find to stream.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @Luckee_Me Yay, you made it! I haven't read or watched it!
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Loved The Secret of Bees book and movie.
    I think the Lord of theRings Trilogy was well adapted if not an exact rendition of books
    @bebeisfit Loved Fried Green Tomatoes "A lady always knows when it's time to leave" Cry everytime!
    Another Michael Crichton "The Thirteenth Warrior" Superb book and film
    Also love many of the Jane Austen film versions
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    @LondonParisTexas I forgot about The Secret Life of Bees. I read the book after seeing the movie. Loved both.

I have seen Fried Green Tomatoes a dozen times and read the book twice.. such a great story and yes, total tears at that scene.

LOR is not my thing but I have lots of friends who loved the movies and books.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I loved the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, never read the book!

What about Firefly Lane, it's on Netflix now and is by Hannah Kristin? I'm two episodes in, it's pretty good so far, I like both actresses. I'll read the book before watching the rest if you guys recommend it.

For those of you that watch horror did you see Books of Blood is coming out? I don't remember where but it was something I don't have, maybe cable premium? I'm guessing they're based on Clive Barker's Books of Blood. Those are actually my least favorite of his books but they were still pretty good, he has quite the imagination though he's definitely bloodier than say Stephen King.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I haven't read Firefly Lane yet. Theres a long wait at the library. And we only get to put 5 ebooks on hold so I have to decide which ones make the list, especially when theres a long wait.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @bebeisfit Wow, we're allowed 60, that seems like a huge discrepancy! Maybe I misread it, that seems nuts!
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    @Katmary71 only 5 ebooks on hold. I am very selective and try to spread them out and have one or two with longer waits. I'm in Chicago so we get a lot of copies..sometimes but sometimes it's 6 weeks for a popular book.

There were over a thousand people ahead of me for Barack Obama's mew book. But they have several hundred copies. And I'm waiting about a month for Agatha Christie's "And then there were none" but they only have 3 copies.

It makes me read obscure books tho.