Diet/Deficit Breaks

Options
2»

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 - I'm totally with you on doing better in a controlled space. I took about a 6 week logging break in November - just to see if I could manage it. It taught me that no, I need to log - maybe I can take a logging break for a day, but not a whole week or more. Fortunately, I only gained about 6 or 7 pounds during the experiment and was able to re-lose it. But sometime we have to try things on to see if they fit.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 True. Everyone is different and has different strengths and challenges and different genes. It would be nice if there was a one size fits all answer but that's not reality. Still, it's good to hear others' experiences because maybe you can learn something that you can apply to your own journey. It usually doesn't hurt to try something. If it doesn't work for you, well, now you know that and you can continue to find the things that do.

I also carry most of my weight in my thighs and arms. I don't think I'll be wearing short sleeves or shorts ever again...not that I have for years anyway. :) I doubt I would have skin removal surgery either. I may change my mind but right now I'm thinking no surgery unless the loose skin starts causing problems...other than my own insecurities over it. :wink:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on deficit breaks!
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @speyerj Yeah, I've pretty much come to the realization that nothing will change when I reach my goal weight, whatever that might be. That's a good point about scale fluctuations. I hadn't thought much about that. I'll have to keep that in mind so I can mentally prepare for that. Thank you for your insight!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,645 Member
    Options
    ...I do much better in a very controlled space...

I feel this way too. But have occasionally had some luck with short, less controlled, times. I mean one day maybe a day and a half. More than that and things unravel.

But, I'm really hoping that is what maintenance can mean for me? Maybe having a day or two a week when I don't worry about tracking? Not going all out and eating everything out there, but more relaxed days, I imagine on the weekend when I'm eating with/cooking for other people (that will happen again, right???). And getting back into my "weekday" routine. Tracking. Maybe eating at a deficit?

It would be nice to turn off the internal calorie counter now and again and instead aim to be sensible?

Maybe Monday mornings can be my "weigh in" - that way I will always be at my highest weight rather than experiencing the horror of seeing that I've gained 5 pounds in a day.

Losing just over 100lbs in a year was great - but it also came with its own stressors and took constant focus - figuring out best approaches etc. Lots of guessing. Some bouts of real fatigue. It will be nice to stop wondering how next month will be, what the skin will be like, what clothes will fit when the season changes, whether I can do it or not, and how to deal with pissy friends. It is better now than it was. I really hope it is better than this once I hit maintenance. Because I do not want my focus for the rest of my life to be on maintaining my new weight. It can be a part of my attention - but not like it has been this year.