March 6 Sign In

Options

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Made it calorie wise, but just barely. 😔Admitedly, I did not log the hike as high as MFP wanted, but just half, as my app on the phone estimated (probably based on the pace, cause the kids kept playing around, jumping on side paths and my pace was slooow 🤷‍♀️).

Toying around with the thought of going into IF starting tomorrow. I need to control my snacking, I really need to find a way. It's a pitty for all the hard work I put into 🏋‍♀️💃🤸‍♀️ (it's not a burden, but the reason why I do it - burn what I eat - is not a "clean" one).

Thanks for the link, @biketheworld - I should take time to listen to it. 💐
  • dewit
    Options
    A pass day....despite a ridiculous amount of exercise (my usual Pilates and 30 mins exercise bike and TWO two hour walks, I managed to a little over calories tonight. I blame the wine! One glass and I suddenly feel like dessert after dinner. Hey ho, I enjoyed it.

You sound so much like me 😀🙈🤷‍♀️
  • dewit
    Options
    @SummerSkier: oh dear! 🤗 Your Bandit sounds like my active younger son 😀. Full of bruises and such, but I can also see muscle definition on this kids legs and arms 🥰
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Mar 6
    Well, my new approach is working (see below if interested) - thank goodness! I can feel myself shifting behaviors mindfully.
    Tracked all❤️
    Calories under ❤️
    Exercise 1:16 climbs 10.1K steps

Protein ❤️
    Fiber ⬆️
    Sodium ❤️
    Sat Fat ❤️

1️⃣ Pass Day left.
    Greatest threat currently
    Eating too many calories

- snacking on unsalted nuts through afternoon & evening now & then (but they add up)
    - craving/eating sweets & going over calorie goal

To fix this , I need to reduce salt & refined sugar because I’ve learned they stimulate my “mouth hunger.”

I also need to spread calories throughout the day ... did this when dieting & it kept the munchies at bay.
    The Plan:
    2,100 cals per day
    I have B, L, D
    And Breakfast Top-Up
    Lunch Top Up & Dinner Top-Up

The Meal + the Top Up each have to equal 700 calories. I won’t gain on that with my regular hike.

I set exact times for all 6 eating “events” lol
    9:30 AM B
    12:00 PM B T-U
    2.30 PM L
    5:00 PM L T-U
    7:30 D
    9:00 D T-U
    I set a “duck sound” alarm for each LOL

This worked well.

What I noticed today: At 11:30, I wanted to eat. I nicely told myself to wait 30 minutes.

After our hike, I wanted to eat more than The calories I had for Lunch Top-Up. It was also a little late due to hike timing. I simply had the tiny top-up & told myself to wait until 7:30, which I did. With cooking, I actually waited over 2 hrs, eating at 8.
    SO, already I’m modifying the “ I am hungry, I should eat...” self talk
    AND eliminating grazing.

Relieved & Happy.
    Grateful for sane advice from @SummerSkier when I most needed it❣️

BTW I’m not a routine person, but I felt so much better once I assigned meal times. I was back in control.
    —————
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

@MadisonMolly2017 this is PERFECT ! I wrote something very similar to what you have here in my food journal just yesterday! Thanks so much for your wisdom. (And @SummerSkier too!)

3/06:

✔️ EXERCISE: Yes. 202 minutes.
    ✔️ CALORIES: Yes. (755 deficit)
    ✔️ TRACK: Yes.

PASSES USED: 0/3

16,393 steps
    50/45 planks (seconds) (*PB)

"I can't manage what I don't measure and I can't improve upon something that I don't properly manage."
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pass #1
  • laniv
    Options
    It seems my weight loss proceeds as follows:
    I am staying within my calorie budget (1380 cal/day), exercising consistently, and weighing myself daily at the same time.
    Nevertheless, I tend to lose about a pound, and then gain back about half a pound the next day. It is like two steps forward, one step back. I've decreased in my weight overall, but this pattern is confusing.

Does anyone have an explanation for this pattern of weight loss?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    laniv wrote: »
    I am staying within my calorie budget (1380 cal/day), exercising consistently, and weighing myself daily at the same time.
    Nevertheless, I tend to lose about a pound, and then gain back about half a pound the next day. It is like two steps forward, one step back. I've decreased in my weight overall, but this pattern is confusing.

@laniv
    That’s actually what the pattern looks like for weight loss because there are so many variables that effect our weight...such as

Sodium intake
    Water intake
    Fiber intake
    Timing of elimination , ie wt of food in digestive tract
    Sweating
    Water retention due to hot weather
    Time of month
    Lack of Sleep
    How active you are in the day outside of exercise
    How early or late you ate.

I have weighed myself daily - every day - for over about 4 years now. I ONLY pay attention to averages or trend wts. I use Happy Scale app for Apple IPhone. I track these averages monthly & yearly as well to make sure I don’t creep back to overweight/obese.

Any individual weight almost doesn’t matter!

Congratulations on your successes!
  • laniv
    Options
    laniv wrote: »

@laniv
    That’s actually what the pattern looks like for weight loss because there are so many variables that effect our weight...such as

Sodium intake
    Water intake
    Fiber intake
    Timing of elimination , ie wt of food in digestive tract
    Sweating
    Water retention due to hot weather
    Time of month
    Lack of Sleep
    How active you are in the day outside of exercise
    How early or late you ate.

I have weighed myself daily - every day - for over about 4 years now. I ONLY pay attention to averages or trend wts. I use Happy Scale app for Apple IPhone. I track these averages monthly & yearly as well to make sure I don’t creep back to overweight/obese.

Any individual weight almost doesn’t matter!

Congratulations on your successes!

Thank you, MadisonMolly2017
    Laniv
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,879 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @summerskier When first reading your story about Bandit, I remembered this story about a dog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7QEdMRCJOA They did bring the dog to the vet and it is perfectly fine. It is just copying its owner. :P Glad Bandit appears to be OK!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    MARCH 2021 ULTIMATE ACCOUNTABILITY CHALLENGE

Start weight, March 1, 2021: 123.2
    March 1, 2021 – 123.2 (-3.0)
    February 1, 2021 - 126.2 (-5.8); Tanita BF scale at 6 am 126.5 and 26%BF
    January 1, 2021 – 132 (-3.6)
    December 1, 2020 – 135.6 (-5.2)
    November 6, 2020 – 140.8 (-7.0)
    October 2, 2020 – 147.8 (-5.2)
    September 14, 2020 – 153.0

Thoughts for daily calories goal
    I need to revisit how I am handling my daily calorie goal for maintenance as I am “failing” in that regard as I lost another 3 lbs while “maintaining” during this month. Having two variables of food calories and exercise calories is challenging for me. In the past I have lost and maintained with less significant exercise numbers so it was more a single variable. I do not want to drop back on exercise as I am doing it for overall health and fitness.

Just use MFP to calculate my maintenance calories/day. Nutritional needs are estimated at 1590, and it predicts that with exercise, I would need 1862 for 1 hour exercise for days/week. Average Apple Watch TDEE for February was 2126. Average calories consumed/day for February were 1686. With three pound loss over the month, to maintain, I would have needed an additional 375 calories/day for a total of 2073/calories/day. So, my thought for March is to consider my daily goal, 1590 plus daily exercise, but, for planning sake, I will expect that number to be around 1900 calories.

March History
    Date: 3/1
    Exercised?: Yes, 1:27:01 group walk at 17’27” pace for 4.98 miles
    Calories?: Yes, 1890/1590 daily + 309 exercise (net 9 cal)
    Tracked?: Yes
    Rings Closed?: Yes, March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2056

Date: 3/2 (Pass #1)
    Exercised?: Yes, 1:23:51 group walk at 17’10” pace for 4.88 miles
    Calories?: No
    Tracked?: until dinner yes, then no
    Rings Closed?: Yes, 2/27 - March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2096

*** First pass of the month used. Very much worth the treat – Went to Square Grouper and started with a Key Lime Martini with graham cracker rim (sorry @RangerRickL not the pie), shared appetizers of Flash Fried Conch with Ponzu and Wasabi drizzle (amazing!!), and Ahi Tuna and Avocado eggrolls with Asian dipping sauce, then an entrée of Seared Sesame Encrusted Tuna with Jasmine rice and Asian slaw, and finished with a cup of coffee and a shared Strawberry Nutella Bread pudding with warm butter rum sauce. Though I may not make winners circle at the end of March, I fully intend to end a champion.

Date: 3/3 (Pass #2)
    Exercised?: Yes, 1:22:02 Group walk at 16’50” pace for 4.87 miles
    Tracked?: Tracked well all day, then old habits crept back in the evening
    Rings Closed?: Yes, 3/27 - March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2187

Date: 3/4
    Exercised?: Yes, 0:30:31 Apple Fitness spinning
    Calories?: Yes, 1292/1590 + 229 ( net 527)
    Tracked?: Yes
    Rings Closed?: Yes, 4/27 - March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2159

*** yes, today was a good day!!! :)

Date: 3/5 (pass #3 – not a great trend)
    Exercised?: Yes, 1:18:16 group walk at 16'17" pace for 4.80 miles
    Tracked?: No
    Rings Closed?: Yes, 5/27 - March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2169

*** today, was the first time we have socialized with friends in almost a year. The 95 year old is vaccinated, and the son and DIL both had COVID at Xmas. I failed at juggling tracking like I normally would have done.

Date: 3/6 (Pass #4)
    Exercised?: Yes, 0:31:50 5K run at 10’03” pace for 3.17 miles, 0:38:50 group walk at 16’24” pace for 2.36 miles, 0:05:10 run at 10’20” pace for .5 miles
    Tracked?: No
    Rings Closed?: Yes, 6/27 - March goal is 27 out of 30 days
    Apple Watch TDEE: 2224

*** Ran my first live 5K to start the day. Drove from the race to my walking friends and left the car beside the road to walk with them, then ran back to pick up the car I left. Great start to the day, but everything else came apart. Still the 5K outranks the rest of my day.

Passes remaining: -1

lk2b1c2sy02y.jpeg

• eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes
    Tracking: Yes
    Calories: Yes
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    cnorman100 wrote: »
    Especially now that spring is starting to appear in Virginia. Any mushroom foragers out there?

I'm an aspiring forager who is too chicken to go out without someone with YEARS of experience who knows the difference between edible mushrooms and poisonous ones. Any tips?

In the meantime, dinner tonight is sauteed shiitake mushrooms lol

• KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    posted in wrong day
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    February 10/3

2x yes

1/3
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? YES
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? YES
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? YES
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes
    8 mile hike
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅ Walking
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? ✅ Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅Yes

Passes used: 0 of 3
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 "Failure is usually not fatal." I'm glad you are encouraged by your changes!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @shrkldy Actually, only you keep you honest. In the UAC everyone is responsible to make their own decisions about themselves.
    Nobody keeps track of you except you.
    Best wishes,
    Rick
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @SummerSkier An off the track thoroughbred that was gentle. That is almost an oxymoron. You and Gypsy look lovely!! Thanks for sharing that.
    Regarding the skinny mare: I really like the vet and the manager of the barn at Foothills Horsemanship in Cave Creek, AZ. The horse needs a good 6 months of both nutrition and appropriate work to gain muscle too. I intend to leave here at the barn under professional care.