What are your triggers and how do you overcome them?

lindamtuck2018
lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,470 Member
I have triggers both food wise and mental triggers. Some of my food triggers are bread, potato chips, pizza and crackers. I try to keep the food triggers out of my home. Bread is my biggest difficulty as I can’t keep it out of the house as my husband eats it. Stress is my number one trigger of binge eating. While it is impossible to avoid stress fully I try to keep it to a minimum. As I am going through a particularly stressful time right now I am leaning on my MFP groups and friends. I also have support through my therapist. I see a dietitian regularly who helps me with the food side of things.

Replies

• 28Haveitall2020
    28Haveitall2020 Posts: 229 Member
    I have triggers both food wise and mental triggers. Some of my food triggers are bread, potato chips, pizza and crackers. I try to keep the food triggers out of my home. Bread is my biggest difficulty as I can’t keep it out of the house as my husband eats it. Stress is my number one trigger of binge eating. While it is impossible to avoid stress fully I try to keep it to a minimum. As I am going through a particularly stressful time right now I am leaning on my MFP groups and friends. I also have support through my therapist. I see a dietitian regularly who helps me with the food side of things.

Hi Linda

Thanks for sharing.
    I have stress as a trigger too. I am also triggered when I am upset, disappointed and bored/idle.

My main trigger is sugar. Biscuits , chocolates, cakes you name the rest.
    I struggle with bread and crisps too.i used to struggle with Nuts and peanuts too but for months now I have not had any and took them out of my diet.

I keep them out of the house most days but when they are home I don't sleep till everything is gone 😭.
    I get scared of living the rest of my days like this.
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    I haven't fully figured out mine yet. But yes stress boredom and being let down or just having a too busy day. My problem is sugar and salt...one night I I binge two salads...and other foods but didn't even eat very unhealthy selections but the problem was the amount. It's like there is a hole I cannot fill!
  • MrsW292
    MrsW292 Posts: 2 Member
    I haven't fully figured out mine yet. But yes stress boredom and being let down or just having a too busy day. My problem is sugar and salt...one night I I binge two salads...and other foods but didn't even eat very unhealthy selections but the problem was the amount. It's like there is a hole I cannot fill!

I have the same issue. This afternoon I gorged on dry fruit and rice cakes with peanut butter and applesauce / jam, then still had a large portion of stew and dumplings for dinner. The actual foods I eat are not particularly unhealthy, I just eat for too many of them.

What do people find helps when trying to break the cycle? I sometimes can eat normally for a few days, but am really struggling to break the cycle for any length of time.

I don't usually log all my food on a binge day, but did so after dinner today and my snacks amounted to half of the food I ate. I exceeded my calorie allowance for the day on them alone!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,470 Member
    MrsW292 wrote: »

I have the same issue. This afternoon I gorged on dry fruit and rice cakes with peanut butter and applesauce / jam, then still had a large portion of stew and dumplings for dinner. The actual foods I eat are not particularly unhealthy, I just eat for too many of them.

What do people find helps when trying to break the cycle? I sometimes can eat normally for a few days, but am really struggling to break the cycle for any length of time.

I don't usually log all my food on a binge day, but did so after dinner today and my snacks amounted to half of the food I ate. I exceeded my calorie allowance for the day on them alone!
    MrsW292 wrote: »

One thing I have to do is get to the root of the binge. Through therapy for my binge eating disorder stress or anxiety is my number one trigger. Ease the stress and I can lessen the chance of a binge. One thing I have learned is I will never be completely binge free but I have been able to lower the occurrences. As for logging, I try to log everything I binged. As I tend to binge late at night sometimes I can’t remember everything I binged on but I try ro get it down. It helps me identify patterns by keep a log of the binge. Another important thing for me is to schedule a time or day for a treat. Every fFriday I have chips and a coke. It helps me to keep from feeling deprived and I look forward to it all week.
  • sviers13
    sviers13 Posts: 109 Member
    I have a big sweet tooth but ultimately it doesn’t matter WHAT I eat. It’s all about how much. I will decide not to eat something if there’s only one or two servings. I don’t want two cookies I want to eat a never ending amount of cookies. Or whatever else I’m eating. My brain just turns off for those few blessed moments while I’m eating. Then it comes back on and I hate myself and it starts again. It’s really about escaping and I’m struggling to figure out what I’m trying to get away from.