Intermittent fasting on keto

2»

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Last week I started the 24 hr fasting protocol that is in Dr Fung's 1st book Complete Guide to Fasting (with J Moore) -- no breakfast every day, lunch every other day, dinner every day. Eat keto or LCHF. Try to get in enough cals in that one or two meals, but not too much. I am aiming for 1000-1200 cals per day. My carb/fat/prot ratios are 5/55/40%, I rarely hit the protein, but trying as I am 63 and need more as I age.
    I plan to do this a few weeks, to "strengthen my fasting muscle" as they say, then shift to the next level, which is 36 hr fasts 3 days a week. Eat 3 meals, skip entire day, eat 3 meals, skip, eat, skip etc. Until the weight is lost, then maintain on the 24 hour schedule.
    My reasons are to lose a few Covid kilos, and get back into ketosis more regularly. It is working so far, but I need to stop the low carb beer! arg. That is the hardest part!
    Anyone interested in this should go listen to the old 2017 podcast Moore, Megan Ramos and Fung did called Fasting Talk -- no new episodes, but lots of tips on how to stick with it. Jimmy is annoying sometimes but the content is solid.
    One Megan tip: change up your fasting schedule every once in a while, as your body seems to adjust to regularity and you might plateau. Do longer fasts every so often to shake things up.
    Happy Fasting!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Joseph1104 wrote: »
    Hi there. I’m new to this blog And MFP
    My doctor is recommending IF / keto for weight loss . 16/8
    I’m really hoping that it will finally help me to lose extra 50 lbs .
    I guess I’m just looking for some support/ motivation .
    I realize we are all different but can anyone tell me their actual successes with this or do I need to start a new blog?

I went keto in 2016 to lose over 100 lbs. It took me about two and a half years. I found the diet suited me and I have stayed with it in maintenance. I never tested for ketones or anything, but I have stayed under 20 net carbs a day, and what i do could be described a keto 14/10 IF really. I don't eat anything after a 6 PM supper and start the day at 5 AM(ish) with HWC in coffee.
  • Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    I broke my 36 hour fast with a nice juicy T-Bone steak and a cute little healthy salad. This is the first time I’ve gone that long without eating (besides when I was young and partying)
    I feel so satisfied after eating which doesn’t happen often when I’m not dieting. Who else does intermittent fasting? How long do you go before you eat?
    Wow 36 hours that's will power! I do keto and If started at 20/4 now I do 16/8 or 18/6.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    I am 16/8 or 18/6 depending on the day :)
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Miss_Missy_Bee Posts: 28 Member
    I started 16:8 IF the first week of May this year. I started practicing the Warrior schedule on l Aug first. It’s definitely challenging some days to get all your nutrients into OMAD within such a small eating window.
  • KetoRoseN
    KetoRoseN Posts: 7 Member
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    I am 16/8 or 18/6 depending on the day :)

I fast every day . My eating window is noon to 7 pm. Two meals a day and completely fast on Tuesday and Thursday. I feel great.
  • CrystalEssex
    CrystalEssex Posts: 184 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Hi, I'm brand spanking new to Keto. The fasting is the easy bit, and I read that you should eat 70% fat 20% protein and 10% carbs. Which sounds quite hard. What is the norm if there is one, or am i getting hung up on this percentage and macro deal.

Yeah, don't get hung up on macros. Low enough carbs for long enough is what gets you into and keeps you in ketosis. Tweaking fat and protein is what keeps us energetic, preserving lean muscle as we lose weight, and keeps us full. Personally, I found protein at 30-35% worked out best for me. If I just kept carbs below 50g, eating green leafy veg, meat, and some low-carb dairy (not a lot of added fat), my macros fell right about there without me having to think much about it. And my calories were easy to manage, too. Worrying excessively over macros is for athletes and those who use keto medically. Us rank-and-file folk need not worry so much. What we need is to eat enough protein to preserve lean muscle (something lost during weightloss using any plan) and to keep our calorie deficit consistently over time. How that looks will be different for everyone. 70% fat is hard and not necessary, so mess around with what you like to eat to keep you full and on-plan and feeling good and don't worry about the exact numbers.

I'm actually getting 70% fat without even trying really. I think it deoends on what you are used to eating. We tend to stick to the same things. Atleast for me. Last time I did keto from 2017-2019 and my macros stayed about 8% C/65-75% F/ 25-35% P. Now I'm averaging about 5/70/25. I have gotten to the point that I don't even log until the end of the say to see where I am. But I eat a lot of the same things
  • haitsemahal
    haitsemahal Posts: 48 Member
    I'm new to both and have found it's surprisingly easy which kind of scares me but I'm going to go with it. It's amazing because so far I haven't been craving junk food at all and feel really good. I'm fasting 16:8 every day.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    I’m three weeks into keto now. Started 18/6 most days after week one. I’m going to work up to 36 hr three days a week. Hunger hasn’t been the issue... electrolytes and mind games have been so far.
  • haitsemahal
    haitsemahal Posts: 48 Member
    I’m three weeks into keto now. Started 18/6 most days after week one. I’m going to work up to 36 hr three days a week. Hunger hasn’t been the issue... electrolytes and mind games have been so far.

Mind games like what?
  • 1thankful_momma

Mind games like what?

Mostly like... I’m not really hungry, just bored... or wanting a distraction/break from work and get up and go to the kitchen instead of going for a walk or something. The mind games of the habits and thoughts that surround food.
  • 1thankful_momma
    So what was this? A glycogen dump from my liver?!?! I was at 19 hours with Bg of 69 and ketones of 2.1.... 22 hours and Bg of 101 and ketones of 1.5!!!!! Nothing but water. Ugh
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    So what was this? A glycogen dump from my liver?!?! I was at 19 hours with Bg of 69 and ketones of 2.1.... 22 hours and Bg of 101 and ketones of 1.5!!!!! Nothing but water. Ugh

The body is a strange creature. Dont sweat it. The minute by minute checks may be confusing. Trust the system and stick to it. The rest will follow!