"This April I Will.." Newcomers Start Here

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited April 2021 in Social Groups
And HELLOOO APRIL!!!

It’s a brand new month and a clean slate of endless possibilities. What would you like to accomplish this month? What part of your health or your life needs your attention?

I love April and springtime…the abundant sunshine, the feel of the unfrozen ground below my feet, the lovely sound of the songbirds returning, and signs of life everywhere….well it’s pure JOY in my book!

What’s your favorite part of April? What healthy habit would you like to work on this month? Is it something new or a continuation of your March focus? Whatever it is, let's dive in and make it happen!

ifiy3r1ciklv.jpg

NEWCOMER'S WELCOME!

🌸 If you are new to our group, welcome! Please let us know what you will be working on and how we can help! Just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

And if you are looking for ideas, check out this list of previous challenges.

Two recommended structures for framing your April goal:

OPTION 1: You might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (In April, I will...)
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) 6. What help would you like from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of April ?

OPTION 2:

Short form for tiny habits:
AFTER I ________________________
I WILL __________________________

Examples:

After I brush my teeth, I will floss one tooth.
After I drink my afternoon coffee, I will put on my walking shoes.
After I put away my breakfast dishes, I will prep 3 servings of vegetables for the day.
After I clean up after dinner, I will plan tomorrow’s dinner & move necessary items from freezer to refrigerator.
After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshing, cool water.
After I start my coffee brewing, I will stand on each leg for 30 seconds.

You get the idea!

🌺What can I do today (and this month) that will make my Future Self proud?

Let's Make It a Great Month!

🌸Maddie & 🌼Denise
@MadisonMolly2017 & @themedalist

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Well for April I was going to set some running mileage goals but then I realized that I am getting Pfizer #2 next Tuesday and if I end up punk for a few days that would be a downer so I am still thinking about what to set. My Apple Watch has me working towards 170 exercise minutes per day which is doable but I don't like to let the tech tell me what to do ALL the time.

Hope everyone is geared up and ready for some Springtime Habits.

Thank you Maddie and Denise for starting the thread for us!

tagging some folks to call their attention that we are waiting for them!

@texasgardnr
    @nebslp
    @77tes
    @packerfaninGB
    @PKM0515
    @goingape
    @jrsepe12

I am sure there are others I am missing... apologies in advance.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier I think you’re wise to keep in mind that you might not feel 100% after the 2nd shot. I was feverish for 2 days. Nothing serious, though. Some people get no reaction at all so maybe you’ll be one of the lucky ones🤞
  • nebslp
    Options
    This month I WILL be more present in the moment instead of thinking about the past or future. Meditate? Not sure of the details. I’ll try some things this week and see what works.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of me, bON!

I actually set up my goals for April in a habit tracker (graph paper notebook).
    • Keep track of water intake. (Doctor said I need to drink more water. I'm not aiming for a specific number at the moment, just noting how much I'm drinking and trying to increase the amount.)
    • Stretch three times a week. (Not really setting a time limit, but thinking of a minimum of ten minutes at a time.)
    • Ride stationary bike three times a week. (Not really setting a time limit, but thinking of a minimum of ten minutes at a time.)
    • Throw out one piece of paper (most likely a piece of junk mail) daily.
    Today I am keeping track of my water (checking off each glass), and I did shred a piece of junkmail.

I probably won't be updating things on a regular basis here, but I'll try to check in now and then.

Happy April, Everyone!

• SummerSkier
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    This month I WILL be more present in the moment instead of thinking about the past or future. Meditate? Not sure of the details. I’ll try some things this week and see what works.

I think taking photos helps me to be more in the moment for some reason. I like sometimes in the evenings to thumb thru the day's photos on my IPAD (it's so old it's completely full and out of date but still good for photos). Interested to see what works for you. My most SLEEPLESS nights are spent thinking of the past for some reason or worrying about the future. The other night I remembered when I was quite small (maybe 4 or 5) and used to share a bedroom with my grandma. I remember that at night she would hold my hand until I fell asleep from her bed to mine. What a sweet lady who fell ill with dementia when I was a cruel teenage. :(

• SummerSkier
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »

• Keep track of water intake. (Doctor said I need to drink more water. I'm not aiming for a specific number at the moment, just noting how much I'm drinking and trying to increase the amount.)
    • Stretch three times a week. (Not really setting a time limit, but thinking of a minimum of ten minutes at a time.)
    • Ride stationary bike three times a week. (Not really setting a time limit, but thinking of a minimum of ten minutes at a time.)
    Today I am keeping track of my water (checking off each glass), and I did shred a piece of junkmail.

I probably won't be updating things on a regular basis here, but I'll try to check in now and then.

Happy April, Everyone!

Happy April back at ya and glad to see you here! One thing which kills me when I try to do something is when I say "I will do this x times per week". It seems like that gives me permission to never get it done at all. For me I have to try things daily or I make the normal procrastination excuse of "tomorrow". But I like the habit tracker notebook. I got one as well for March but honestly it was too much for me along with everything else I used so until I disband some other excel or planners I probably won't use it.

SummeronHolidayfor3days!!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »

• Stretch three times a week. (Not really setting a time limit, but thinking of a minimum of ten minutes at a time.) guy

Happy April, Everyone!

@PKM0515
    Good for you!
    Paper trackers have been invaluable to my success - tangible reminders of my habit goals - and fun, too! I believe someone posted the effectiveness of trackers from Atomic Habits (?)...something this year.

Just the act of taking the time to set the tracker up helps us really figure out what we will focus our energies on & commit to!

I also find creating, updating, coloring them relaxing in a mindfulness/meditative way. And low stress/calm times always help my health goals!

I, too, find when I have a tracker, I post less here. Totally understandable!

Wishing you great success in April!🌺🌸🌺
    Best,
    Maddie
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bON and Maddie, for your thoughts!

I enjoy my walking and hiking, but I want to incorporate the biking just for something different and something to do on rainy days. As far as the stretching, I really need to increase my flexibility. I'm finding it quite painful though.

I miss the exercise classes I was taking prior to COVID. I also wanted to sign up for pickle ball, but that's on hold due to COVID too.

Maddie, you said, "Just the act of taking the time to set the tracker up helps us really figure out what we will focus our energies on & commit to!" I agree with this completely! Also, my tracker is on my kitchen table right next to my pill box and water glass, so I can't miss it. 😉

Enjoy your weekend, Friends! 💕

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Thank you....
    🌸Maddie @MadisonMolly2017 & 🌼Denise @themedalist for starting us off for April! Again, I really like thed photo (and the wise words included) that fits April so well.

My favorite part of April? The new growth or the continued greening/ flowering of trees and plants that didn't quite make it in time for March this year, or just because their turn is supposed to come in April because of what kind of 🌹🌳🌵 they are.

@SummerSkier I hope that you do well with your second vaccine. Thanks for the shout out reminders to pick an April I Will 😄.

@nebslp I am intrigued in how you will do your 'I Will' about being more present in the moment instead of thinking about the past or future.

Being in the present instead of the future is actually something that I have been making myself more aware of the last number of months. I try to capture my random thoughts more quickly when they go off into the future, because more often than not, they only serve to bring up 'what if' kinds of worry thoughts. I try to immediately re-frame the thought or else talk to myself about what I was thinking in order to figure out what brought the thought up. Then if still needed, I again reword it to be a more productive or optimistic thought instead.

Sometimes I also pray about what is worrying me, especially when I recognize that the thought has become a particular recurring worry thought, although often still random in its actual occurrence. And then, the same as for the other times, I then attempt to reword it for what is actually happening at the moment, instead of a worry about the future thought.

Sometimes I also decide to listen to a podcast, audio book or something funny or uplifting that I can listen to on YouTube or whatever platform I use to distract me while I am doing what I was currently doing. That works especially when I am having extra difficulties successfully re-framing certain recurring worry thoughts. Then I will purposely consider them, if needed, or I remember to, at a quiet moment when I have extra time.

So I hope to learn something from you if you decide that 'being in the present' might be what your 'I Will' will be this month...

@PKM0515 I like your 4 goals for April! And how you are tracking them 👍 on your paper tracker. And especially how you are starting with very attainable outcome measures for each of your goals. Yay for you shredding a piece of junk-mail... You are off to a good start!!

@SummerSkier reviewing your photos in the evening definitely would connect you to the present day! That is great insight. And, By the way, I do really enjoy when you share some of your photos with us 🌼 .

I have not figured out what my "I Will" for April should be. It seems, and probably is actually true 🤷‍♀️, that I so often revisit previous "I Wills" because they have not become actually true habits or were goals not met or got tossed aside for a 'more pressing 'I Will'. Or maybe it was really in the "I Need To" category that was too general for a monthly goal.

This month there could be any number of previous goals that I could choose from as March also felt like I was really scattered here and there with all that I wanted, or needed to accomplish, that I feel that I was like the proverbial 'jack of all trades, yet master of none' as far as what I wanted to actually accomplish and how much (or mostly how little) was accomplished.
    And in some areas I definitely felt quite stuck, and it took much determination to do the bits that I did. March was rough for me but I don't think that was the only reason why I feel (and in some things am) very behind. Or was it only March and not several winter months?? March was much more like winter this year instead of more Spring like as it is more often. Actually even February can be more nearly spring later in the month here. But definitely not this year.

So I'm still thinking about it.... 😵🤔🙄🤪😴

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @texasgardnr I think our spring is delayed due to that week of freeze by about 2 weeks. I do see life on some things which I thought might not make it which gives me hope. :mrgreen:

I haven't figured out an I will either but like you I am continuing to work on some of my past items. Yes this year was a strange one for Tx for sure.

And now all the others are saying "why are you encouraging her to post photos again!!!" shhhh" LOL.

I do have a funny story for the ones who have been here a few months. Remember the whole "Fraudulent Unemployment claim" thing? Someone put in using my name and I got all the documents sent to me. Well I did absolutely EVERYTHING I could think of including printing out all the forms and sending them physically to the fraud department. No one from the police department or the TEC contacted me at all in any form. Well actually that's not quite true. I got a letter from them last week asking me to verify my identity if I still wanted money. It basically said if I did not want to claim I should do all the forms (which I already did). There was a place to verify your identity with them in the letter but it was most definite that if you DID not file a claim you should NOT do it. So I did nothing last week.

Yesterday I got another letter. They were letting me know they had denied my claim!!! OHMYGAWD... It was like the twilight zone. They said because I had not proven who I was they weren't sending money. duh. It also gave me a method to fight it if I wanted the money. seriously. No mention of the fraud or my calls/emails/forms/letter. Just a form letter denying my claim like I should be unhappy with it.

:scream:
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

1. My goal for this month is to continue using my habit tracker each day to track my sleep goal (7+hours nightly), my water goal (64+ oz daily), and whether or not I stayed within my caloric parameters set forth by MFP.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal are:
    - Tracking my sleep while eating breakfast.
    - Tracking my water as I finish each bottle.
    - Tracking my food throughout the day and my overall goal at bedtime.

I will give myself a green dot in my tracker for each success.

I will weigh in and record my weight on April 30th.

I was down 5.8 pounds in the month of March! woohoo!

I had toyed with the notion of layering in an extra habit this month...but with Easter, and a vacation to Niagara Falls...I decided to keep this month simple and continue with what worked in March.

Angela
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

I have a suggestion, @nebslp, for a exercise that can help you stay focused in the present. It also helps during periods of worry and stress. It’s from Calm, the meditation app.

Try this:

Notice 5 things that you can see.
    Notice 4 things that you can feel.
    Notice 3 things that you can hear.
    Notice 2 things that you can smell.
    Notice 1 thing that you can taste.

For me, it’s been simple and effective!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Way to go, @angelic843 on sticking with your plan and losing 5.8 pounds in March! You are doing great!
  • themedalist
    edited April 2021
    Options
    This month I’m going to continue working on something I’ve been focused on for about a month now: kettlebell swings. One of the many things I’ve learned from my dad’s stroke is to not take mobility for granted. My dad was so active before his stroke. He and Mom crisscrossed the country in their RV living the kind of retirement that they wanted and dearly loved. I know he never considered the possibility of a stroke even though he had risk factors that made the odds of a stroke pretty high. Strokes and heart attacks were something to happened to other people.

Except that it happened to him. And now he’s in a wheelchair and will require institutional care for the rest of his life. He wants his old life back and that’s not ever going to happen. It makes me so sad. Strokes are very preventable and his stroke very likely could have been prevented. We get to choose our actions but we don’t choose the consequences of our actions.

It’s made me very determined to protect the life that I have. As you know, I love walking and daily walking on my treadmill or outside is a regular feature of my day. But I realized I wasn’t doing much for my arms or upper body strength and flexibility. I love playing the guitar! How do I shift the odds that I can keep playing it 20 years from from now?

For a long time now I’ve been thinking that I need to get back into a good solid upper body workout. Bicep curls, maybe tricep dips...I started planning it out in my head. Maybe 20 minutes three times a week? But it never happened. It was just too big a plan when I already always feel short of time.

So instead, I thought about when I routinely have a few minutes every day. And I realized the perfect time to work in some arm exercises is the morning when I let my dogs out in the backyard. They romp around and chase each other and do their business and in 4 or 5 minutes they’re ready to come back in. I found a song that I like and every day for the last six weeks I’ve been doing kettle bell swings and overhead presses. I haven’t missed a day because it’s so easy to work into my schedule. I can’t believe what a difference it has made! My arms are stronger, my range of motion is so much better, and the arthritis in my left shoulder has all but disappeared. From just 4 minutes a day! It’s another reminder of the power of small, repeatable actions. They become habits.

Even though I’m very confident I will continue this kettlebell practice, I want to make it my April focus. Maybe try adding another set or a new exercise, while keeping it all under 5 minutes.

Here’s my plan:

AFTER I let Milo and Abby outside in the morning
    I WILL play EMF’s Unbelievable while doing Kettlebell swings.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend!

• nebslp
    Options
    It was so good hearing from you all and I want to thank you for your interest in my mindfulness practice. I am busy busy busy packing up for a 2 week road trip so I don't have time to write now. Know that I'm thinking of all of you and will catch up at the hotel tomorrow unless I'm too tired after riding 480 miles in the back seat in one day. Take care!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    This month I’m going to continue working on something I’ve been focused on for about a month now: kettlebell swings. One of the many things I’ve learned from my dad’s stroke is to not take mobility for granted. My dad was so active before his stroke. He and Mom crisscrossed the country in their RV living the kind of retirement that they wanted and dearly loved. I know he never considered the possibility of a stroke even though he had risk factors that made the odds of a stroke pretty high. Strokes and heart attacks were something to happened to other people.

Except that it happened to him. And now he’s in a wheelchair and will require institutional care for the rest of his life. He wants his old life back and that’s not ever going to happen. It makes me so sad. Strokes are very preventable and his stroke very likely could have been prevented. We get to choose our actions but we don’t choose the consequences of our actions.

It’s made me very determined to protect the life that I have. As you know, I love walking and daily walking on my treadmill or outside is a regular feature of my day. But I realized I wasn’t doing much for my arms or upper body strength and flexibility. I love playing the guitar! How do I shift the odds that I can keep playing it 20 years from from now?

For a long time now I’ve been thinking that I need to get back into a good solid upper body workout. Bicep curls, maybe tricep dips...I started planning it out in my head. Maybe 20 minutes three times a week? But it never happened. It was just too big a plan when I already always feel short of time.

So instead, I thought about when I routinely have a few minutes every day. And I realized the perfect time to work in some arm exercises is the morning when I let my dogs out in the backyard. They romp around and chase each other and do their business and in 4 or 5 minutes they’re ready to come back in. I found a song that I like and every day for the last six weeks I’ve been doing kettle bell swings and overhead presses. I haven’t missed a day because it’s so easy to work into my schedule. I can’t believe what a difference it has made! My arms are stronger, my range of motion is so much better, and the arthritis in my left shoulder has all but disappeared. From just 4 minutes a day! It’s another reminder of the power of small, repeatable actions. They become habits.

Even though I’m very confident I will continue this kettlebell practice, I want to make it my April focus. Maybe try adding another set or a new exercise, while keeping it all under 5 minutes.

Here’s my plan:

AFTER I let Milo and Abby outside in the morning
    I WILL play EMF’s Unbelievable while doing Kettlebell swings.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend!

I love this @themedalist!
    Inspiration + a habit to hitch it upon + music = success 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

💕
    Maddie
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier Yes, I certainly do remember the "Fraudulent Unemployment claim" thing? 😱 your difficulties with how that is going really does sound like it could have been an episode on The Twilight Zone. Oh my goodness, does anyone have a functioning brain cell in the Unemployment Department OR even the Fraud Department???

@angelic843 your goal sounds well thought out! Good ideas! Enjoy your vacation to Niagara Falls!

@themedalist thank you for sharing the exercise that can help us stay focused in the present when our minds want to default back to worry, and the stress is coming at us. The thing I like best about it is that it really is very basic and simple, and especially that it is easy to remember.
    This afternoon worry thoughts started coming in and I suddenly remembered what I had read in your post. At first I thought I needed to log in to see again how it is done, but then I realized that from what I remembered that it was using the five senses. So it really didn't matter which number from 1 to 5 that I assigned to which of the five senses. So I started immediately noticing 5 of the first sense that came to mind..... and on down to 1 of the last sense that wasn't used yet. By that time the worry was gone and I noticed a lot going on around me and forgot to worry. It felt like I was playing an "I Spy" game by myself 😁.
    Thank you for sharing it with us 💗👍.

And thank you for your second thing thing that I am going to borrow also 😉🤸‍♀️. I had been well aware that I have not incorporated upper body exercise back into my routines since I have been trying to figure out how to get in any kind of exercise since right now I can't at this time do what I had been doing for the last 10 + years. And I had been focusing for the past year or so on somehow getting aerobic exercise back into my life and how can I get back to some form of walking since I can hardly walk for exercise like I had been doing 😥. So to use your idea of using the power of the small things and short amounts of time, I am going to start using my lightest weights when I am heating up the measuring cup of water for my tea. I am going to make up arm/ upper body exercises/ stretches and movements using the weights. Later I will also add in balance exercises that I have recently found, while heating the water for the third cup If I am drinking more tea. Today I decided that to start I will use the weights only for two times of heating water for tea. When I find that I am remembering to do this for about a week I will add in the balance exercises for the third cup sometime during the day. I drink herbal or fruity teas so I can have several cups in the day and not have problems with the caffeine like I was having before. And it is also hydrating, so when this becomes a habit it will be a double win for me.

The time frame that I am using will be between 2 minutes and 30 seconds or 45 seconds depending on which tea I will be making.

@nebslp enjoy your road trip! Let us know how you are doing!

I will formulate how to write out my I Will for April tomorrow. Time got away from me again and I am sleepy now.

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Well I am glad I did not put some crazy running goals in.

I had an almost immediate reaction to the 2nd Pfizer jab yesterday. It was a drive thru and the line yesterday was crazy long. I was in the car for almost 2 hrs before I got my shot (so I already had to pee like crazy AND had a headache). Anyway, no sooner had the gal came by to write the 15 minute mark on my windshield when I felt my heart start racing. I looked at my watch and it was strange to see it shoot up from the 70's to over 160 within just a few seconds. So I honked my horn a couple times to get their attention and the EMT came over. I know that the increased heart rate could be the first sign of a really bad reaction so I did not wait. But after it spiked up it started to slowly come back down and I never had any trouble breathing or felt too faint. It did feel like my ears were blocked up a little. I put my recliner back and my legs up. And then I just waited for about another 30 minutes or so with the EMT checking every 5 min on me. When my HR looked like it was going to stay around 90 or below I left and drove home. And that was it. Altho I am not 24 hrs in yet my arm is a little sore (like the first one) but I did manage a short walk without issues. I think my temp is up just a hair over 98 which is not normal for me in the am when it is usually 97 or so. Luckily I do know deep breathing relaxation exercises so I was doing those most of the time while I was waiting as the EMT thought it might be an anxiety reaction. hahah. might be?? I had NO reaction to the first time except my arm being sore and maybe a small headache and tiredness. maybe. I will take it easy and no running today and possibly tomorrow because the heart thing was pretty dreadful.

As far as the Texas Employment commission I hope to get more letters from them. I actually had a PHONE msg yesterday ack'ing that I had submitted the fraud forms. If it takes them a month to get thru there must be millions of them going on right now. how crazy.

@themedalist I totally love the way you brought up the 5 senses to get us focused on the here and now. @texasgardnr I haven't tried it yet but I bet it works a charm.. Might see if one night when I am lying in bed trying to turn my mind off whether it works. "I spy" I remember doing that in the car when I was a kid.

0tmjkf3ns2ln.png
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier being in a line... while stuck in the car... for 2 hrs... and having to pee... and having a headache... and waiting for a shot 💉 ... sounds like a.... prequel or sequel, to to your Twilight Zone moments 😱🤦‍♀️.

Take care of yourself and continue to take it easy for a while 💗🌹 .

Over 90 degrees this afternoon in South Central Texas 😱😅. And it is only early April. The last several days were wonderfully cooler and quite windy, now just hot. We have been known to go triple digit heat in April before 🌞 .

Short form for tiny habits:

AFTER I _start to heat my tea water_____
    I WILL __do upper body exercises with weights while the water is heating up____ Twice a day currently.

April 5: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 6: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️
    April 7: 🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

🤠🌺
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,754 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Sounds scary @SummerSkier ! I'm glad you are feeling okay now.

Sorry that I've been absent for a few weeks. I've been struggling a bit, but I'm trying to get back on track in April. I lost one of my beloved pups at the end of March, so I didn't start off too well.

This April I will post a poem on Facebook and write a line/or poetic image each day.

Here is my April tracker. 5w0psxgrj1en.jpeg