why do calories not count on low carb?

123457»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Here's a great new post from Ketogains on the subject of calories and nutrient density.
    Can certainly be tailored to any low carb plan.

https://ketogains.com/2017/06/energy-balance-macros-nutrient-density/

"Whether you gain or lose body fat depends mostly on your caloric intake, and then on the composition of these calories, but here is a quick “mantra” we at Ketogains developed so you remember how to set up your macros for optimal body composition:

PROTEIN is a goal that you should hit it every day. There are no issues if you go a bit over your protein intake.
    CARBS are a limit, for the sake of maintaining ketosis. Staying below 30g NET (Total carbs minus fiber) is what we suggest.
    FAT is a lever, which means that how many grams of fat is dependant of your body composition goals: to lose body fat, eat less, to maintain or gain weight, eat more."
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    I have that - more or less - copied and stuck on my fridge.
    Some folk have photos, pictures of their kids, drawings by same children, 'don't forget' notes, shopping lists, humorous magnets .....me? I got sticky notes on LCHF Wisdom thanks to S_B_!! :D;)
  • voncovenhoven
    voncovenhoven Posts: 25 Member
    I don't count calories. But I know that if I ate 2000 calories I would feel sick. Some people can eat that much and more. So I would say keep an eye on your calories. I have a naturally very slow metabolism, I don't really over eat. Without keto, or I should say before keto. I would have to do my caloric intake to 600 calories to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I'm sorry that's insane, right.? Thank God for keto. If you want to lose keep your keto macros in line, and reduce your caloric intake. Make sure your fat intake is high. I see guys eat high protein, not enough fast and the enter protein catabolism and lose muscle mass. It's the fat metabolism you want.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Ah my "I'm a Goat in a suit. Your argument is invalid" post was in this thread. Good memories. I stand by what I said there, even though I know it still sounds insane all these years later.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    I stopped counting calories when I was diagnosed as a diabetic, and instead I use MFP to track my carb intake (the hard way - not using Premium!)

I find I usually come in WELL under my calories, and as such I no longer close my diary entries for the day as MFP certainly used to get its knickers in a twist if you ate way less than your cals!

At the end of the day the ONLY thing that matters to me now is keeping my BG down. For me, my weight drops like a stone when my sugars soar, which is more a symptom of the type of diabetes I have, so it is vital I keep that down and in control.

I still log in MFP as it is helpful to have a guide to what mounts up to what but as long as I can stay within 100-125g of carbs then it is all good in terms of where I sit on the HbA1c charts. I honestly do not care about anything else now.
  • sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    @rfsatar - so, you are able to lose weight consistently when you stay within that carb range of 100-125g?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    sailor789 wrote: »
    @rfsatar - so, you are able to lose weight consistently when you stay within that carb range of 100-125g?

On my diabetes diagnosis everything was high but my weight had plummeted, so the overriding immediate concern at the time was get the BG down from a dangerously high level, and stabilise my weight from dropping like a stone.

The key for me was getting a Freestyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitor, which allowed me to monitor what was spiking me, and plan accordingly around that.

My GP refers to me as a Skinny Type 2. My father was the same, except now we think he was misdiagnosed back in the day as he was very fit, very active, but was straight on insulin. My GP is reluctantly admitting I probably will have to have the Type 1.5 test once they start going back to in-surgery appointments as every now and again, for no reason, my pancreas will have a wobble and the cycle of sudden dramatic weight loss and super high sugars starts again.

My condition is very different to my cousin, same side of the family, whose weight rises when their sugars creep up. That's bodies for ya!

I work from home 4 days a week and can usually come in around 50-75g and on the days I have to work in an office with very little options, I have a carbier hit for lunch and am LC for breakfast and dinner. Those tend to be my 100-125g days.

My only concern is my BG levels. Nothing more, nothing less. Everything else falls into line when they are stable. That works for me and one size does not fit all. What is my motivation may not be yours.