Weight-loss "task-force" challenge

Options

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,962 Member
    Options
    Today is day 31 of the Omer. Today's quote from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Remember your destination. This will help you to distinguish between an opportunity to be seized and a temptation to be resisted.”

I think today's quote is spot-on for weight-loss. While I think Rabbi Sacks is suggesting that we distinguish between things that we should strive to do versus those that we should avoid, I think it can also be interpreted to say that even those moments where we might simply say there is a temptation to be resisted, we can reframe those moments into opportunities. In my mind, for example, instead of "white-knuckling" it to avoid having an evening snack, that moment can be reframed as an opportunity to demonstrate how committed we are to our "destination." I dunno, just a thought.

@linmueller, yes, I am also glad that we did a little "refresh" on our challenge: I needed the kick in the rear to get more firmly back-on-track!

Once again I can proudly say that yesterday went into the "win" column. I wasn't even significantly tempted by the popcorn my wife was eating while we were watching a show together. There are still cravings with some frequency, but they really do seem to be weakening (or more correctly, I am using those cravings as an opportunity to demonstrate that I understand what they are and am not powerless over them!).

Anyway, crazy busy day today during the day. I may have to spend some time tonight working as well...we'll see.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,975 Member
    Options
    @cakeman21k I'm sure you can, at least, weigh-in at any WW center, and, unless they have an overflow crown, I'm sure they'll let you stay for the meeting.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Good day, again, yesterday. Down 0.8# for the day (at home) AND down 0.4# (234.8) at WW this morning. Lowest weight at WW was 229.4 on 8/8/2014.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @cakeman21k congrats on your losing streak! Your RV trip sounds awesome! We also do a lot of our own cooking when we can (ie. a week in a condo). It really helps me to keep things low point, activities up, and splurge on regional specialties (ie. I'm not going to Nashville w/o BBQ and a trip to Puckett's LOL).

As far as stopping into meetings, I think it's still doable. Stop in to weigh in and if they have an open seat, it's yours. I think most studios are pretty accommodating. Mine def is!

And about virtual leaders, I've tried a bunch and most make me cringe. I do have 2 I like. One is Kimmi F. I've gone to a few of her meetings and liked them all. I esp like the 8:30 a.m. Tues morning and the 11:30 MI time Sat (It's her last Sat morning meeting). Kimmi is one of the int'l meeting coaches.

I also like Lisa C. Her's are local virtual so you have to go in thru the local studio on Connect. I usually try to catch her Tues night one. She works out of Grandville MI and Holland MI studios. If you want to check her's out, I can get you meeting #s and times.

Good luck! You've got this! Nothing more motivating than making progress!
  • linmueller
    Options
    Today is day 31 of the Omer. Today's quote from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Remember your destination. This will help you to distinguish between an opportunity to be seized and a temptation to be resisted.”

This total makes me think about yesterday. I had 9 DPs left, so I had an "opportunity" to eat ice cream or drink bourbon but instead resisted the temptation to feed my body things with no nutritional value, and seized the opportunity to have a bigger calorie deficit and, as Steve said, demonstrate how committed I am to my destination!

I really love this mindset! Of course, it's easy to say now that I'm past the white knuckling that eating sweets results in. Argggg! That reminds me that the donut I've been considering eating tomorrow is not going to get me closer to my desired destination, so I guess I will either demonstrate my commitment, by not getting one or, if I'm feeling really committed (as in strong 💪), get one to bring home to DH. We'll see! 😬

As for my day, another one in the win column! Exercised. Slept (lights out by 11 as planned). Left 4 DPs so i can carry them over and end the week with 9, Thurs and the weekend we're not pretty! I also only had 2 meals today. Was in meetings all morning, so breakfast/lunch at 11, then not hungry again until dinner at 6. I'm amazed at how seldom I'm drawn to the snack cupboard or even thinking about food! It feels soooo good to be free from that obsession!

WI tomorrow should be encouraging! Onward!
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 32 of the Omer. Today's quote from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“You are as important as you make other people feel.”

I've got an early morning so just enough time for a quick check-in.

Yesterday went exactly as-planned. Another "win" for the challenge. As Lin suggested, there is somewhat less "white-knuckling" through the evening. There are still thoughts of "gee, it'd be nice to relax with a glass of wine while I read" while I am driving home, but once I get home, and caught up with the work-to-home mental transition, those thoughts mostly dissipate.

Today's quote fits nicely with the overall theme of self-improvement. While we shouldn't completely deprive ourselves, there is great value in reaching out beyond ourselves. It's often easier said than done, but moving away from self-centeredness and towards an outward point of view would make ourselves, and the world, much better!
  • Al_Howard
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Down another 1.6# today. Going through my computer shutdown last night, I checkec MFP to see it I logged everything, and BAM! 287 left for the day. Didn't eat any more!! Good decision. :) Another low, about 3# above my lowest, since I started, at 335#.
  • linmueller
    Options
    Gosh @Al_Howard you mentioned doing what you can in another thread. Sounds like it's paying off!

Love that quote @steve0mania . The world would definitely be a better place if we all looked outside of ourselves a little more.

As for my day, it was stellar! I exercised, ate w/in points, and had a good WW workshop and WI.

I noticed today that I'm tracking more honestly and carefully. If I'm not sure, I'll err on the high side rather than try to game the system, tho really, I'm gaming myself 🤦🏼‍♀️. The more accurate and cautious tracking may explain why I lost this week despite two point heavy days and only 9 WPs left. It's so weird to be having all these lightbulb moments after doing this program for years.

And I'm still thinking about having points left as being NOT an opportunity to eat more, but an opportunity to have a bigger calorie deficit, and more importantly, to prove my commitment to my destination! This is game changing!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Held the line yesterday. More and more concious in losing mode.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 33 of the Omer (also known as Lag b'omer). Today's quote from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

When you experience suffering, the question to ask is 'Given this has happened, what then shall I do?’ for this has an answer not of thought but of deed.”"

A little background on the time-period of the Omer is in order. While counting the omer is a biblical commandment, other customs have arisen around this time period. During this time period, Rabbi Akiva (one of the most famous of the Rabbis that lived around the time-period of the destruction of the second Temple, and perhaps was a supporter of the Bar Kockba revolt) had 24,000 students who died (perhaps via plague). Jews spend a part (in my tradition, it's the first 32 days) of the omer period following certain mourning practices (like no haircuts or shaving). On the 33rd day (Lag B'Omer), the deaths stopped, so the mourning period stops. Also, another major rabbi (Shimon bar Yochai), died on Lag B'Omer, but before he died, he said that the anniversary of his death should be a celebrated day, rather than a day of mourning. As such, Lag B'Omer is a semi-holiday for Jews.

I bring this background to note a tragedy that happened today in Israel: at least 44 people were killed by a "crush" at the tomb of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai. It's horrendous and unbelievable. Rather than a day of celebration, today is a day of sorrow in the Jewish community.

This all brings me to our quote for the day: there is suffering today. "Given this has happened, what then shall I do?"

I don't have a great answer for that at the moment, except to say that I will try to put a little more positive energy into the world. I need to create an action, rather than simply "thoughts and prayers" (though these are also helpful). I will think about that today and work on a plan.

So, onto the relatively mundane: I completed this week by sticking to my plan even better than I had anticipated. There were no alcohol or snacks from Sunday through today, which is a total win. My cravings are improving and I'm feeling a bit more in-control of myself.

I was rewarded with a 0.2 pound gain! Ha ha ha.

This isn't actually bothersome, though. I know I did the right things, and if not this week, then next week I will see a little more movement on the scale. There's simply no way that I can't! It may just take a little time for my body to catch up with my intake/output.
  • linmueller
    Options
    Today was like the rest this week except I used a few weeklies. The positive is that I made conscious decisions re. what I wanted to eat, no mindless grazing, and am not finding myself in front of the snack cupboard arguing with myself. This is making healthy eating toward my goal, much easier!

Sad loss of many lives Steve 😔. I appreciate how you are applying the daily quote to the tradgedy.
  • linmueller
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Yesterday was ... Interesting.

Went to grandkid soccer games, didn't make time to eat first. Hungry when we got home at noon, so warmed up 0 sp mex rice w/2 pt cheese on top. Ate 1 sp popcorn a little later, and then met SIL at BBQ place for her birthday dinner (a little later than desired, but had to wait until after Red Wing win in a shoot out 🤣), and again, I was hungry! This is where it got interesting. They were out of smoked chicken, my first choice at any BBQ joint. No good options at all, so I had the bacon cheese burger w/ fries 😳 which sounded really good to me. I could have eaten half, but it was amazing and I was hungry! so I chose to eat it all! Tracked it, no 🔵 obviously, and, about an hour later, I was really full for the first time in longer than I can remember. I hope I remember this for next time, but I still am not totally convinced that I made a bad decision.

I enjoyed every bite 🤷🏼‍♀️. I didn't enjoy being over full. Burgers don't reheat well... I'm going to have to think about this a little more.

Activity was good, and I was mindful, no random, mindless eating. In the end, I'm calling this day a win despite not totally moving me towards my desired destination. Ya, I'm definitely going to have to think about this a little more!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Down 0.2# from yesterday. A loss is a loss. Good day, overall.
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Saturday was day 34 of the Omer, and today is day 35 of the Omer. Saturday's and today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Never let negative emotions distort your perceptions. To see the world as it is, not as you are afraid it might be, let faith banish fear."

“If you seek to learn, grow, pursue truth and find freedom, seek places that welcome argument and respect dissenting views.”

I had to go into work today because I have a major deadline coming up, and there simply aren't enough hours during the normal work-week to finish! I did get a lot done, but I'm now totally fried from focusing so deeply for so many hours.

Shabbat went very well, mostly as planned. Reasonable portions (though maybe Saturday lunch was a little more "generous" than I intended, I still think it was reasonable), one dessert each on Friday night and Saturday lunch, plenty of wine, but no extra snacking. I even had my Shabbat beers before we shut all of our electronics down.

Today has also been on-track, so far.

The one thing that I am already recognizing is the "I deserve" thought process. My brain is saying "gee, I worked hard today and now I'm drained...wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine to relax with?" Plus, it would be very easy to rationalize it today...I *did* work hard, and it *is* the weekend, right? Plus I *do* need to relax, right? The rationalizations are coming fast-and-furious, and the problem, of course, is that I *kinda* believe them!

So we'll see how the evening goes. ;-)

BTW, both quotes above are great!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    Down 2.5 from yesterday, but then yesterday was up by 2 from the Saturday. Gotta love these fluctuations
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Down 1.4#.Yup, fluctuations. BUT I'm down 2.0# from last Monday. Onward!!
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Today is day 36 of the Omer. Saturday's and today's quotes from Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks:

“Life lives in the tension between our physical smallness and our spiritual greatness. Life is short, but when we lift our eyes to heaven, we walk tall.”

Good morning everyone! I "won" my evening battle yesterday. I managed to skip the glass of wine (or three) last night, and went to bed unscathed. It wasn't even a big white-knuckle moment, but rather more of an active decision that I simply wasn't going to have anything after dinner (except for some flavored water). All-in-all, Sunday was a success. That's important, because I often am much "looser" with my intake on Sunday, as part of the weekend. If I think more clearly about things, I'd rather be looser on Friday-Saturday (Shabbat) than on Sunday, and so that's the plan.

Now it's back to the regular old weekday mode. Three normal meals, no snacks, no alcohol, exercise 5 days, and I will be "on-track."

Today's quote reminds me of an overarching theme that I really like: we are meant to have some humility, and to recognize that we weren't put on earth to focus only on ourselves, but rather, by focusing on the "spiritual," we reach beyond ourselves and put some additional good into the world. It's easy to remember when you're standing in the synagogue (or church, mosque, or where ever), but often harder to remember when your sitting at your desk at work, driving your car, or waiting on-line at the DMV! I will try to come up with one random act of kindness today at work and see how that goes.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,884 Member
    Options
    Up 1 from yesterday annoying as today is my WW weigh in day!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Up 1.4. Think I'm retaining "stuff" ;)
  • linmueller
    Options
    This week has been busier than expected, so, going back to Sunday ...

Decided Sat night to have the fam over Sun. So the dao was filled with shopping and food prep. I sat for 5 minutes and the kids started to arrive. Busy playing, and no appetizers out to tempt me. Dinner was ribs, mac & cheese, corn bread (new recipe and yummy), and 5 healthy sides. Ate 2 ribs, 1 piece of cornbread and sides. Dessert was lightened up by sf/low fat and noone noticed! Two meal day so not bad at all! Could have skipped the Truly but it was good, and stopped with one!

Yesterday I was woken by my mom's phone call. Long story short, spent the morning plus in the ER with her, then the rest of the day and night at her house. Looks like she's going to be ok, a relief. As for the diet, first meal was at 3p, regular spaghetti and meat sauce, mom's leftovers. Dinner was leftover 0 SP mex rice and 1 sp potato salad that I grabbed from my house when I went for clothes etc. No chocolate cake, no snacking.

I'm feeling pretty good about not stress eating. I'm also aware that I may struggle tonight when I get home, so I'm trying to think that thru in light of my goal/desired destination (really liking that word).

I'm putting these these two days firmly in the WIN column!