requesting: diary review and feedback

sailor789
sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
hi, i'm requesting a diary review, anyone here is welcome.

i am brand new to LC eating, i am not new to using MFP to track my food.

i am trying to blend a low sodium/high potassium WOE with LC eating. i am not able to get my net carbs below 80-100 due to the amount of extra potassium that i need via veggies/low sodium V8. i need to stay below 1500mg sodium and eat minimum of 4700mg potassium daily. i also need high magnesium.

i've been eating a modified DASH WOE for about 6 years d/t a medical condition, but i was putting on weight b/c of added sugars and low-sodium carbs - like salt free chips.

i want to lose weight, i would like to get into ketosis, but not sure if i can with this level of carbs. been doing LC for one week, and i am feeling more satiated than DASH and less cravings for sugary foods.

i am requesting if anyone wants to review what i've done so far and offer feedback knowing what i am dealing with. any other ideas to get carbs lower to allow for ketosis?

this info would be helpful to know as well: i need high magnesium, so i will need to add beans at 1x/week or more - do you think this will limit ketosis? (i do try to get it via seeds and nuts) i do not like any seafood except tuna, so salmon/fish is out for me. i am not a big beef eater, so i limit it to 1x/week. i prefer ground turkey.

thanks in advance for your insights, resources, ideas. i am not sure if what i want is able to be done. :)

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Hi @sailor789, how are things going? I'm not a doctor, but maybe you should check with your health provider about the low sodium part of things. Low carber & keto-er folks tend to need more sodium, not less to balance their electrolytes. Also be careful with potassium since larger amounts can cause serious health problems:
    Symptoms of high potassium:
    tiredness or weakness.
    a feeling of numbness or tingling.
    nausea or vomiting.
    trouble breathing.
    chest pain.
    palpitations or irregular heartbeats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Without enough sodium on a ketogenic diet, you would be in serious trouble. Like mentioned above, you need sodium as a means to balance electrolytes. When you deplete carbs, you reduces water and reduce basal insulin levels. In turn, your flush electrolytes.

Something to talk with a doctor about. But a good ratio could be 1:1. When i do keto, i tend to aim for 5000-6000mg of sodium. Even when i do this, my BP drops anyways (like 10 points).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hi @sailor789, how are things going? I'm not a doctor, but maybe you should check with your health provider about the low sodium part of things. Low carber & keto-er folks tend to need more sodium, not less to balance their electrolytes. Also be careful with potassium since larger amounts can cause serious health problems:
    Symptoms of high potassium:
    tiredness or weakness.
    a feeling of numbness or tingling.
    nausea or vomiting.
    trouble breathing.
    chest pain.
    palpitations or irregular heartbeats.

Its not real likely to overdose on food based potassium. Its much easier with pills.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    True 'nuff, psuLemon. Lots including me take supplements though, and not everyone understands that it needs to be done with care and awareness of not 'overdoing it'. :)