What helps you get through your fast?

Options

Replies

• leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. A long fast after a loss of control binge does seem more like punishment. I think IF is very helpful in helping me to control the number of binges since I am very satisfied with my meals and fat is just good. I do enjoy tracking and I kind of look at it like a puzzle but some day I will find it tedious and I hope I can be successful without tracking.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It will take me awhile before I stop tracking. I view tracking as training wheels. Last time I tried without it, it all went horribly wrong and I am still working on the weight (two more lbs) which that 'experiment' caused. But yes, I look forward to the day when I can take the 'wheels' off and just ride down the middle of the road.
  • p0nderful
    p0nderful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just purchased Jason Fung's book, the Obesity Code, and it is VERY interesting. He spent a lot of time on nutrition, not very much on IF, but I still learned a lot. After dithering around for a few weeks, today is my first IF day. I am starting with 16:8. I am a little worried about the evening, since that is the toughest time of day for me.
  • leighn62
    Options
    Congratulations on making the commitment. What time is your eating window? If evenings are especially difficult, you might want to start your fasting window later at night. Maybe 10pm to 2pm. That way you can eat until bed if you want.
  • p0nderful
    Options
    Made it through two weeks of IF--16:8. Not as hard as I thought, but I do need bulletproof coffee in the morning. I tried fasting without it, but I was starving all morning. I also find if I can make it through to 1pm, the hunger goes away. My only concern is elevated blood sugar in the AM, but I understand that if my A1C is low, that should not worry me.
  • santran773
    santran773 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just recently started intermittent fasting when I saw an AD of Greg O'gallagher. I was at 205 lbs at 5'9" and just recently lost about 5-6 lbs. I usually drink black coffee mixed with green tea. Which creates a high amount of caffeine to get me going through the day. I also drink sparkling essence water to keep me full when I feel hungry. I usually fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour eating window.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... coffee with green tea. I might have to try that :)
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Sleep mostly haha. I eat between 12pm and 7pm. I usually feel full until about 9pm and try to get to bed around 10 so I'm not sitting up hungry! Then I wake up around 7am (so I'm already through 12 hours of the fast), have a coffee, get to work and really just throw myself into whatever I am doing that morning. I'll have a couple more teas (with milk because I've always been a rule breaker at heart, what a rebel! lol) and before I know it, it's 12pm again and I'm ready for my lunch!
  • p0nderful
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So after 2 weeks of 16:8 without too much trouble, (lost 1.6 lbs!) I am trying two weeks of two 24 hour fasts and low carb eating on the other days, as per the Obesity Code book. I will let you know how it goes.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    p0nderful wrote: »
    Made it through two weeks of IF--16:8. Not as hard as I thought, but I do need bulletproof coffee in the morning. I tried fasting without it, but I was starving all morning. I also find if I can make it through to 1pm, the hunger goes away. My only concern is elevated blood sugar in the AM, but I understand that if my A1C is low, that should not worry me.

Well done on your fast! We are on holidays so fasting will wait until we get home. We are trying IF to reduce blood sugar. My DH A1C has been too high and IF is a way to get it down (appt coming in few weeks) but we were concerned about the high blood sugar in the AM. Can you point me to where you found information about high AM blood sugar?
  • p0nderful
    Options
  • clbrto
    clbrto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! First post here, been doing IF 16-8 since December 2014, has lost about 120 pounds in that time (359 to a current 232). Also do low carb, no sugar, and 5-2 IF often, or at least once a week. I too am not a morning eater, so having excellent coffee is treat enough for me. (This is the article that originally got me into IF http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting) If I'm starving, will add skim milk to my morning coffee, also have a hot chocolate mix of powdered dry milk, cocoa powder, and stevia on hand to add to coffee. It satisfies my sweet and chocolate needs. Speaking of stevia, I'm a huge fan of steviva 100% pure stevia powder - I'm don't rep them and just buy it at my local health food store http://www2.netrition.com/steviva_stevia_extract_powder.html?gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1SSSzJ9IBbIKgefkNlS6yCFcxVTPJPsUY6xtR2fvGFshoCLWfw_wcB. It doesn't have ANY additives, and has no off taste like I've had with other products. A little goes a long way.

Anyway, back to how to get through fasts. I used to do noon to 8 pm, but now do 10am to 6 pm. I'm a 56 year old woman, and from what I've read, there would be minimal benefit to shrinking my fast window further, and I've had excellent results so far with the 8 hour window. I have 2 "free" foods always allowed, hot broth and diet jello. I make my own jello with knox gelatin, the stevia powder discussed above, and koolaid powder of various flavors. Not the most healthy (higher quality gelatin is available, and koolaid is not a natural food) but it's filling, cheap and very low calorie. And gelatin supposedly has additional weight loss benefits http://holdthetoast.com/content/gelatin-blowing-my-mind. I make "guilt free chocolate pudding" with skim milk, cocoa powder, gelatin and stevia too.

I also keep a big bowl of pickled vegetables in my fridge, lots of cider vinegar, garlic, and jalapenos in the base mix. During fasting periods, I can have some pickled veggies if, and only if, I have first eaten broth AND diet jello. So far, haven't had to, but it's nice to know I COULD.

At night, I have a huge assortment of herbal teas to choose from, my current favorite is "honey vanilla chamomile" by celestial seasonings. With plenty of stevia of course.

I have written down an exhaustive list of WHY I want to lose weight, and when tempted to stray, pull out and review my list. And gloat a bit over my weight loss chart! good luck

ps I always do what I call "Hungry Monday", a complete fast on Mondays. My motivation that day is that every Tuesday my diet class is held at the YMCA, I like being top of the class...
  • leighn62
    Options
    Welcome clbrto. It sounds like you have a good regimen that works well for you. Congratulations on such dramatic weight loss!. I'm 53 and it's encouraging to know that us "mature" ladies can be so successful. I do low carb with IF 18:6 usually. I fall off the wagon about once a week so my loss hasn't been quick but I love the control IF gives me over food, binges and cravings. Keep us posted and feel free to give us more tips that work well for you.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lots of inspiring reflections here! Thanks everyone.

What gets me through? - sleep, exercise, coffee and keto/bulletproof boullion (I'm doing IF, low carb and calorie restriction - seems to work for me)
  • leighn62
    Options
    That's great. Feels good to have control huh?
  • dasher602014
    Options
    p0nderful wrote: »

Thanks! (Sorry for the late response - I have been away and internet was sketchy). This helped. Understood the dawn phenomenon but was worried about high fasting levels. Will relax more now. I think though we will keep the more aggressive fasting to after DH's checkup rather than before because it might skew the A1C reading!

Once spring arrives (not long now), I am getting back to fasting and walking.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Im new to the group but not to MFP. Been here since 1012. I lost 65 lbs on IF in 2012. Went from 245 to 183, then but have steadily gained back 3 or 4 lbs every year since, then due to work difficulties slacked way too much 2019 and gained some of that back.
    I follow D Jason Fung and prefer longer fasts. (3-5 day ones). Im currently on day 12 of my 15 day Start of the year Water Fast (third year in a row doing it) and hope to IF my way to my 190 lb goal weight before the end of Feb. This fast also clears al my health markers in an amazing way. Im looking for people that will help keep motivated and accountable, and whom I can also motivate into reaching their goals. Ive been If ing on and off for about 7 years now and have a bit of experience with it. If this sounds like something you might be interested in please add me.
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Miss_Missy_Bee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Water, black coffee, did I mention water? fznhatzdn9rj.jpeg
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    is anyone here any longer?