My A1C results from yesterday

Options
I'm so excited. My A1C from yesterday's blood tests is 5.6%, technically non-diabetic.
I have been exercising and watching what I eat more than ever because of chronic pancreatitis.
I'm kinda hoping this is permanent and not just because my pancreas mis-behaves a lot.
Just thought I'd share.

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Wow that is wonderful news, congratulations.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Maybe you can say a bit more about the time it took you to get to there? I was disappointed a couple of weeks ago that my A1C was 6.7 (for the second time) even though I thought I was doing extremely well with eating and exercise. Did it take you longer than you expected? Good job though, keep the good work.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I remember in 2018 when I worked to get my blood sugar under control, before my issues in 2019.

So in May 2018 I started at 11.7 or somewhere in that area, by end of July it was down to 8.2, by Oct it was down more to 7.1, and by December 2018 I had it at 6.1.

Then this year, two rounds of cortisone shots, big issue with foot. A pity part of one, and I just quit. Pretty dumb I know. So went sky high again. End of August was at 12. Just saw results from 11/26 and it is at 7.3. Trending correct way again. But more to go.

But other things also really good. Triglycerides 109, LDL 37, VLDL 24, only one a bit of an issue HDL is 35. So total Cholestrol is 95. Which is considered low.

The HDL, I exercise 6 days a week for one hour of cardio, and I mean I am sweating when done. I take fish oil supplements. I also eat quite a bit of chicken and fish including the ones that are high omegas.

Since May 2018 in total I have lost 74 lbs. And my plan is to lose another 58 lbs.

I have been able to successfully keep the kidney disease from advancing at all for many years. That is one of the first blood test results I always look at. Yes the A1C is critical totally agree, but so are all the blood tests for kidney function.

My eyes are still doing great, get dilated every year, no problems.

Been a type 2 diabetic for 20 years now.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    When I go for blood tests, my doctor checks everything. I also have chronic pancreatitis which can sometimes make it hard to eat.
    It took me from July 2015 to get from 12.7% to 5.6%. Because of the flare ups of pancreatitis, my sugars would go off the charts, then settle down again. As far as I know my kidneys are fine, but the doctor did change a prescription the other day because I have high potassium levels. We'll discuss it on Tuesday when I see her.
    So, I guess I've been doing okay the last 6 months at least. I walk with a walking group three days a week, as well as on my own another 2 days at least. I'm not very good at drinking water, especially now that winter is upon us. I have a rather restrictive diet because of the pancreatitis. But it's what you get used to isn't it?