Living The Lifestyle - - Friday, June 4, 2021

whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,232 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday -Crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – 88olds
Wednesday -
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Summer Goals

Do you have any weight/health goals that are specific to the summer? More activity due to better weather and? More fruits and veggies due to gardening? Better tracking due to more social gatherings?

Replies

• whathapnd
    I feel like I'm ready to lose weight again. I just had a nice mini-vacation with some girlfriends, and I'm feeling refreshed and like I'm in the right headspace to lose weight.

My goals for summer are:
    1) Outside activity five days a week.
    2 ) Lose 10 pounds by Labor Day*
    3) Host outdoor dinner/drinks twice a month**

* I don't normally have time-based weight loss goals, but my weight is high enough that this should be doable. It's less than a pound a week.

** This will force me to stay on top of yard work and to get back into being social.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,807 Member
    As I have posted in the past we are on a 3 month long cross country RV trip (currently we are in Provo Utah) My only stated goal is to weigh less on September 1 than I did on May 14. (Start and end dates) So far so good I am actually down by about 2 pounds as of this morning.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,758 Member
    I tend to not set season-specific goals. In fact, I’m one who generally doesn’t set goals at all. I’m more process-focused. If the process works, I’ll just keep following it as best I can. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try to understand whether it’s a problem with the process, or with my execution of the process. Right now, my process is focused on losing weight, but it’s going to be essentially the same process once it hit my goal (but with slightly more points.)

I understand that make me an aberration. I see all the 4th of July challenges or whatever on Connect, and I guess my reaction is “What then? If you hit it, what happens? If you miss it, is that a license to stop?”
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,856 Member
    crewahl wrote: »
    I tend to not set season-specific goals. In fact, I’m one who generally doesn’t set goals at all. I’m more process-focused. If the process works, I’ll just keep following it as best I can. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try to understand whether it’s a problem with the process, or with my execution of the process. Right now, my process is focused on losing weight, but it’s going to be essentially the same process once it hit my goal (but with slightly more points.)

I understand that make me an aberration. I see all the 4th of July challenges or whatever on Connect, and I guess my reaction is “What then? If you hit it, what happens? If you miss it, is that a license to stop?”

I'm with Charlie. My only goal is to "keep on keeping on" DOWNWARDS!
  • whathapnd

Sometimes thinking about forever (on any topic) is overwhelming. Chunking life down into bite-sized pieces (pun not intended, but I'm too tired to re-word it) can make it less so.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,758 Member
    whathapnd wrote: »
    Sometimes thinking about forever (on any topic) is overwhelming.

Understood. I guess I don’t really think about forever; I’m just thinking about today. To that extent, I’m more about AA than I am about WW because it’s “one day at a time” and if I fall off the wagon (and do a face plant into Ben & Jerry's), tomorrow is another day. It’s the absolutism of some challenges I recoil from - win or lose, succeed or fail - and I know that others are better able to say “well, I didn’t accomplish all of X but I did better at it.”

It’s all a mind game, and we all find different ways to win at that. 😊
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,161 Member
    I don't generally set seasonal goals.

However, I am setting a "return-to-the-office" goal of walking, walking, walking. I have done a terrible job of moving during the pandemic. We officially return to the office on 06/21. My goal is to walk in the morning, at lunch, and right at the close of the day. Plus, I am a face-to-face person; so, I try to walk to the desk of whomever I need to see, when I can.

I really need to movement. I have been coming to my office a few days a month, and I try to walk as much as possible. My neighborhood is not conducive to walking; but work is.