June 7 Sign In

Replies

• Higa2021
    Higa2021 Posts: 106 Member
    I was out of town last week and couldn't really track calories. But I did consider what I ate and went for a walk every day. So all in all, I did well. Now I have to keep at it. No pass days yet.
  • Juliexx00
    Juliexx00 Posts: 65 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 30 HIIT and 30 min 2km walking hill repeats
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?yes
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2021
    @LazyBlondeChef @Chinkiri great question about working and fitting things in. I can't wait to hear how others do it (could help me out). Details in spoiler to save scrolling...
    For me the most important factors are preparedness and routine. Sometimes the routine gets changed and maybe preparedness can cover the gap. Vague descriptions for sure. But that's perhaps the best way to sum it up.

For my current work day routine, I spend the first 5 - 30 minutes after waking up (after a drink of water and bio break) doing a routine of stretches and isometrics which I log here as Yoga. I only do the isometrics 4 days/week so the longer sessions have the isometrics while the shorter sessions are only the stretches.

Afterwards I do the necessary things to get the day started (wake kids up, get them ready for anything like school, etc). One thing unique to my routine/life is that if the kids are going to be at home that day on some sort of break, I take those days off work so long as I can. Our children are uniquely challenging and require at least two adults to supervise. Something as simple as a single adult going to the bathroom or refilling a drink can result in kids doing all sorts of crazy, dangerous things. They are opportunistic and seem to have a death wish of some sort.

Once things are in gear it is time for my 45 minute run. Then I change, clean up and get to work.

While working, provided I can get out for lunch, I will take a walk during lunch, opting to eat while I work. Sometimes there is a conference call during that lunch time, and if it is highly unlikely I will need to share my screen or anything I'll walk while listening in on the call. But I have been burned by that a couple times and had to fess up that I was away from my computer and could not share my screen. It never resulted in an issue, luckily, but does make me a little hesitant to do that sometimes.

In the office I bring all my own meals, pre-measured, ready to eat, so I can easily eat it and log it ahead of time or later. If there is some sort of party or other thing where I might eat with co-workers, I stick to my diet and log accordingly, and take whatever meals were uneaten back home. If I can work from home, I do, but that is more about the kids than about health. Working from home can free up valuable minutes that would otherwise be spent commuting, so it does help. I am fortunate to have a job where I can work remotely most of the time (all of the time since COVID of course, so far).

At the end of the work day, or a little earlier if it's a strangely quiet afternoon, I will do my strength routine. When in the office I am fortunate to have a gym within short walking distance that I am a member of. At home I have enough dumbbells and resistance bands to have set up my own home gym space right next to my home office space.

So you can see how preparedness comes into play. The reason routine is so important is that all of that can be done as outlined within that routine. Where things can get tricky is when the routine has to change. For example, just last week I took the week off of work because the kids were all home last week as well, one starting summer break, the other on a week long break from her school. While the morning routines were able to get fit in early before anyone else was awake, and I was also able to fit in the afternoon strength routines (but wasn't easy), I was unable to do a single walk outside at all for the entire 9 days of that break (the weekends and the whole week). So routine is pretty important, but not always available, of course.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,626 Member
    6/7

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? ✅
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?✅
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? ✅

Used #1 pass day
    2 passes days left
  • tryingtoloveme97
    tryingtoloveme97 Posts: 60 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? I did
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? nope
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? nope
  • Intrinsicat
    Intrinsicat Posts: 473 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Morning swim and an evening walk
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    I'm a little late checking in for Monday. Day went well, until it didn't at about 9 pm. It's an old trait that is showing up more lately. Anyhow, yes for exercise, fully tracked perfect day until 9 pm, then not. So a no and third pass for the month.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    I am impressed with the thoughtful responses. It was a comparatively heavy topic. Something I wonder about is how this Self Efficacy concept could relate to another concept I heard about maybe 6 months ago. That concept was to identify oneself as x. For example if you want to eat healthier, instead of thinking "I want to try and eat healthy" one should think "I am a healthy eater".

@seilidhe It is amazing how helpful a good cry can be. It confuses my husband sometimes. :p

• seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »

@seilidhe It is amazing how helpful a good cry can be. It confuses my husband sometimes. :p

Indeed. And yeah, my ex never understood it. :smiley:
  • fourathomej
    fourathomej Posts: 4,228 Member
    June 7

Exercised: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

0/3 Pass Days Used