Motivation and Accountability

Hi all,

My name is Danika and I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. Here in Saskatchewan we have a provincial program that allows us to be referred for the Weight Loss Surgeries, and we have to go through a program to be able to go free of cost. I am currently 23 at the time of writing(my birthday is in August) and I was referred March 4/19. Well we have a waitlist here, and I was going to be on it for 2 years before they got me into the program. Along comes the covid pandemic in March of 2020, 1 year before I'd get into the program. Our program is still not running.

Now that I've got the background information out of the way, I'll tell you a bit about myself.
I'm a female, 23, 5'5". I haven't always been heavyset... actually it seems like when I hit age 10 I started to plump out in my belly area... my knees also have been cracking when I squat ever since I was 10.

I weighed in this morning, as I do every day, and my weight was 290.0 lbs.
Stats:
Highest Weight: 290.6 lbs
Goal Weight: 125 lbs

I want to have the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy(VSG) surgery. I do not want to pay out of pocket for it, because right now I really struggle with money. I have a few addictions, food being one of them, and I really need help finding my why because to be completely honest my current why is not for health reasons...

Please, if you have any advice, any motivation, anything that can help...

Please tell me....

I'm losing hope.

Replies

• azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    you have turned to the right platform for help. Join several of the community boards on MFP (my fitness pal) and you will find tremendous resources for support. I am 60 and am 2/3 of the way through the qualification process for my insurance to have the surgery. I do not want you to lose hope. Every single day is a choice, and you can choose to love yourself. If you want to private message me, I have some other resources for you to check and see if you can find some support. Do you have family, friends who will support you? if you can walk (slowly) to start that will help your brain chemistry and provide you some positivity. My why is that I can't do the things I used to do and want to do. I want to hike with my grandchildren. I want to dance at their wedding. I want to be strong and capable to be a good partner to my husband. I want to feel better. It sounds like you have hormonal issues possibly, get that checked out too. Sounds like puberty was the beginning of physical changes for you and not all good. Also know, a "diet" isn't the way to go. Think of this: when you are in a toxic relationship with a person, you can walk away and end the relationship. Food is different. You can't "not eat" because food is necessary for life. You need to find a way to make peace with food to sustain your body and allow you to live. <3
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Hi, this board isn’t super busy so I only stop in about once a week, but it has a lot of information! Prior to my surgery I spent a lot of time reading stories the good and bad!

I am in your neighbouring proving of Manitoba and we are similar here I waited 2 or so years to even get my first appointment and from there another 9 months before my surgery! It was worth the wait!

For now try to keep positive, and try to keep making healthy choices. In the program here we had to be nicotine free, meet with various medical professionals (diet, mental health, etc.) and we had to do a 2 or 3 week liquid diet right before surgery. I’m guess the programs are similar.

I had my surgery in 2018, I lost a bunch of weight and then covid came and I have gained back 30ish lbs! But I still don’t regret it very often.

• tryingtoloveme97
    tryingtoloveme97 Posts: 60 Member
    @HLaR79 Thank you, yes our program is very similar here. I'm bouncing between 286-289 lbs right now and I can't seem to get any good habits down. Any suggestions?

@azalea4175 Thank you, I will definitely be PM-ing you!
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    @HLaR79 Thank you, yes our program is very similar here. I'm bouncing between 286-289 lbs right now and I can't seem to get any good habits down. Any suggestions?

@azalea4175 Thank you, I will definitely be PM-ing you!

Pick one thing to change at a time and make it a habit over a few weeks then make another change. 2 good starting points I think are just logging all your food, not worrying too much about what it is but logging it so in a few weeks you can start to see areas that need tweeking! Second start moving even 10 minutes 3 times a week get moving. Both will help you later on :)
  • Fattleass
    Fattleass Posts: 223 Member
    looking to add friends who have been through it so add me if you would like
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Fattleass wrote: »
    looking to add friends who have been through it so add me if you would like

how did your surgery go? I think it has already happened?
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Hi Danika,
    I am Donna. I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada so we are neighbours. I had VSG in 2014 and did good for the first few weeks. In 2018 I decided to have revision surgery to RNY but I had very serious health complications. The Doctors had to open me up twice as I had a huge bleed in small intestine and then a few days later I had an obstructed bowel. Long story short I have a very large abdominal hernia and it can not be repaired. Each year my mobility declines and I have to use a walker when I go out. My quality of life has deteriorated immensely. I came back here at the beginning of January and based on todays numbers I have gained a few pounds this past month. I don't exercise much other than walking with the walker down my long hallway and I have a Cubii cycling machine that I use most days. I am currently 321 lbs. I also have another addiction that I am in recovery for. I am looking to meet a friend or two to encourage each other. If I have shared anything that strikes a chord with you, please message me. It is so much easier to do this with friends.
  • mmskrent
    mmskrent Posts: 11 Member
    I had my gastric sleeve in 2005. At the time I weighed 330 lbs. I needed to lose 30 lbs before they would even consider the procedure. The doctor put me on a liquid diet to achieve that within 30 days. One year after the surgery I weighed 159 lbs. This took not only food control but a lot of exercise. In 2018 I fell and broke my back. Needless to say being unable to move I gained weight. But I got right back on the horse. Right now I am 202 lbs working toward that 159 mark again. My advise is to be patient and never lose sight of your goal. Stay positive and try to make small changes in your daily life to improve your chances for success. Set exercise goals and stick to them. This is a lifestyle change not just a surgery if you want to succeed.