Advice for those thinking of having WLS

Options
slowerbutqwik
slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
What is one piece of advice you would share for those looking at WLS?

Replies

• slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Bariatric Surgery changed my life for the better! It's not an easy path, but it has been so worth it!
  • jessi91473
    jessi91473 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My surgery is scheduled for June, what is something you wish they had told you before surgery? Something that would have made things "better" for you?
  • trishalong84
    trishalong84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My surgery went well so I can't think of anything to make it better. I had RNY so I stayed overnight for 2 nights and I was not prepared for how hard it would be to get up to use the bathroom and how often I needed to go. Also if you need shots afterwards to help with blood clots, have a back up person ready to go if you don't think you can give to yourself.
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    I wish the dieticians had given me better macro nutrient guidelines. I'm still struggling with max carbs, max fats, etc.
    I also wish I could have found a larger support group of those who had been through the surgery already. I'm finding it now, but it was hard not having people to talk to in the beginning.

• slowerbutqwik
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with the backup person for the blood clot shots! I don't think I realized I'd have shots twice per day for two weeks.
  • spangadora
    spangadora Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wish the dieticians had given me better macro nutrient guidelines. I'm still struggling with max carbs, max fats, etc.
    I also wish I could have found a larger support group of those who had been through the surgery already. I'm finding it now, but it was hard not having people to talk to in the beginning.

This! So this! I am starting the soft foods today and know the protein range but what is the max carbs and fat?? I figure I might be able to figure it out if I input the sample menu into MFP so that is my next plan.
  • trishalong84
    trishalong84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @spangadora I am finding that my surgery group is much different in their philosophies than what I have heard from others. They would not give us a calories or macro range. Their thoughts was they wanted us to learn to listen to our bodies....eat when we are hungry, stop when you are full. Their main focus was getting in protein and water. If you Google Bariatric Macros, I think you'll find most will recommend your daily intake be around 40% proteins, 40% fats and 20% carbs based on your overall calories intake. You can adjust your calories and macros here on MFP. You could try to adjust the above percentages on a 1,000 calorie a day diet and see how that works for you.
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    I, too, have found the 40,40,20. It's been so hard to fine tune the adjustment.
    I get the listening to your body, not your head, but that's part of the problem that got me where I was. Now I just want to measure, weigh, and regulate my food. Im still only taking in about 800 calories a day, and they want me to increase to 1000.can I still lose my 20 pounds to goal weight? I'm so afraid of not making goal!
  • spangadora
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I too listened too much to my body and feel like I just ate and ate. I finally noticed the sample menu from my nutritionist says 640 - 790 cal per day 72 - 82g protein. But still no clearness on carbs and fat. I'm going as low fat as I can and carbs is pretty low too. MFP is always telling me I'm not eating enough. haha I appreciate seeing the ratio suggestion!
  • ezeltner
    ezeltner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going to have the Sleeve in the next couple months. What do you think are the most important behaviors to perfect prior to surgery?
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    I had such a hard time changing behaviors prior to surgery. It's hard after, but different.
    I would concentrate on following your Dr's and nutritionist's suggestions and work really hard on being strict on your liver reduction ores surgery diet. You'll still be hungry, but remind yourself, it's worth it, and it won't last! Also drink water, lots and lots of water!
  • spangadora
    Options
    I would say that trying to practice mindful eating is a big one. I still struggle with it. A small plate and small bites of food then chewing really well is a good thing to practice as well.

As said above, it is still harder to change these things after the surgery but different as well. Your body will tell you (after surgery) when you've eaten too quick or too big a bite. But ideally you want to avoid that sensation and just eat nicely. ;)
  • Awesomewow
    Awesomewow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am im process right now. I am so happy to find support for sleeve; my other groups are 99% RNY and our experiences will be a bit different. Thank you for the advice!
  • spangadora
    Options
    Awesomewow wrote: »
    I am im process right now. I am so happy to find support for sleeve; my other groups are 99% RNY and our experiences will be a bit different. Thank you for the advice!

Welcome!
  • slowerbutqwik
    Options
    Awesomewow wrote: »

Come back often. I'm 10 months post surgery VSG and have had a hard time finding sleeve support for the same reason you stated. I'm down 111 pounds, 4 pounds from goal and want to make sure I maintain this for a lifetime!