Type 2 and heat wave

Options
Jadedraggin
Jadedraggin Posts: 33 Member
Does anyone else have their bs # rise with the summer heat? We're in the third day of a heat wave and my numbers are horrible no matter what or how little I eat. Or am I just losing my mind?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have found that my meter is sensitive to temperature even within the operational range. Maybe your meter is not giving good numbers. Are you staying hydrated?
  • Jadedraggin
    Options
    Yes, thanks. I'm very careful about drinking plenty of water. It's a new meter, but I didn't think about the ambient temp affecting it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have their bs # rise with the summer heat? We're in the third day of a heat wave and my numbers are horrible no matter what or how little I eat. Or am I just losing my mind?

I would call the doctor for a quick consult. Maybe a walk in clinic?

Unusual highs or lows can definitely be caused by stress. Heat is stress. But health issues are also stress.

And I know for a fact that sometimes people who have been diabetic for a long time might not feel warning pain of various things. I don’t want to scare you.
    But definitely get that checked.
  • Jadedraggin
    Options
    I did send an email to my diabetes team lead & should hear back tomorrow.
  • Jadedraggin
    Options
    Update: My doctor doesn't think it's the heat so she's adding another medication that has a side effect of weight gain. Oh joy. :s
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Update: My doctor doesn't think it's the heat so she's adding another medication that has a side effect of weight gain. Oh joy. :s

That is discouraging with the potential weight gain. Managing the weight is hard enough already.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

Keep on keeping on. We’re here to support you. 💐
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

How’s things going?
  • 2t9nty
    edited July 2021
    Options

How’s things going?

I was wondering this as well. We need an update!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm 71 and I've been type2 for awhile.
    I can tell you that heat CAN affect your numbers.
    Well let's say it affects ME and my numbers. Your experience may vary.
    Unfortunately even the best medical professionals are not diabetics themselves so they will tell you what they have been taught.

Also--if you wake up in the night to use the bathroom, or have a bad night of sleep or toss and turn because it's hot or for any other reason--it WILL raise your numbers.

I was wearing a fitness tracker for awhile, and it let me know when I'd had a restless night.
    Every. Single. Time. If I didn't sleep well, my numbers were higher in the am. Always.

Another thing that is affected is your electrolyte balance. Even if you're not out with a chainsaw in the hot sun if you're hot--it affects you as a diabetic, differently than non diabetics. Factor in age and...it can get you totally wonky for no apparent reason.

Just drinking water is not always enough, you have to replace lost electrolytes.
    I started taking extra potassium when it's hot and muggy.

My doc said that it wasn't the heat that affected my bad numbers; she said I am sweating at night (which again affects my ability to sleep and raises my BS) because my BS is high. :| *eyeroll.
    Like yours, my doc wants to put me on MORE meds as well.

Good luck.

I'm struggling to get back on track; I hadn't seen my doc in person for a year until yesterday (COVID restrictions). Believe it or not I lost several pounds which is great but I'm pretty annoyed by my uncooperative, aging bod.

• Jadedraggin
    Options
    Well, it's been a week on the new meds and my numbers look great. My weekly average puts me on track for a 6.7 A1C. Before I was running about an 8. Which, by the way, my team lead said was my "new" target. Apparently, when I passed the magical age of 65 last December, they adjusted my target A1C to 8 because they don't want older folks going hypoglycemic. Yeah. That's what she said. I haven't weighed to see about the weight gain.
  • Jadedraggin
    Options
    Ok, it's weigh in Tuesday. Gained 1 pound, but not sure it was the meds. I usually bounce around 1 to 2 pounds.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Ok, it's weigh in Tuesday. Gained 1 pound, but not sure it was the meds. I usually bounce around 1 to 2 pounds.

So good news really. The BG is down and *maybe* it is not having an impact on the weight at all!