August “I Will” and Re-post of “Summer of Sleep”

Options
MadisonMolly2017
MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,998 Member
edited July 2021 in Social Groups
Hi Friends,
I decided to post a “goodie” from the past…@themedalist’s excellent Summer of Sleep Challenge.

81rkupp815k4.jpeg

Some of us grapple with sleep & for some it is a non-issue!

You get to design your own August “I Will” as usual.

I’m going to focus on sleep. For 8 of the past 9 days, my new routine has had miraculous results. And if I average my night of 6 hrs with the previous night’s 8 hours, it’s still miraculous.

Everyone’s path is different. For a number of reasons, I left sleep to the end of my Habit Journey. Years of procrastination. I knew it would be the most difficult - right there with not eating out.

What I’ve learned is all those things that are recommended REALLY WORK!

And all the benefits Denise mentions below DO HAPPEN!

* I set a bedtime.
* I read a real book in bed from 1 hr before bedtime.
* I’m off all screens 2 hrs before bedtime & I charge phone & watch downstairs/sleep upstairs. (My doctor recommended this strongly. I’d done one hour in the past & it didn’t work.)
* If I’m worrying, I use the one technique that I FINALLY found that works for me:
Breathe in “All is Well”
Breathe Out “letting go of all I wish might have been different”

Because I’m charging my phone & watch downstairs, my mornings are more refreshing as I do the routine (stacked habits) we created over the past couple of months. Lovely. Often I’ll read a little of an inspirational art book after all my To Do’s are done, before heading down to breakfast & beyond.

Note: Please look at the top of the July I Will” for info on how to create your “August I Will”!

And now for those who are interested, @themedalist’s post from 2017! …

😴💤🥱😴💤🥱😴💤🥱
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: ZZzzzzzzzz

For as long as I can remember, I have minimized sleep. I gave sleep the day’s leftovers. Whatever time was left after I finished doing what I needed and wanted to do, that time went to sleep. Sleep was never a priority and I prided myself on being one of those people that didn’t need that much sleep.

But getting by on as little sleep as possible Isn’t the same thing as thriving. I know how much better I feel when I get enough sleep – – I am happier, more alert, better at solving problems and handling life’s curveballs, and I make better food choices then when I’m short changing my sleep. And I know that sleep is as much a pillar of good health as eating well or exercise. While I know that sleep is vital, until now I haven’t shifted my sleep focus from knowing to doing.

Good sleep is fundamental to good health. Sleep helps our bodies recover, it’s essential to regulating hormones (such as the hunger hormone ghrelin) and it helps the brain function optimally. In fact, depression and anxiety have been correlated with sleep deprivation. Sufficient sleep is also vital for memory consolidation, learning, and reducing inflammatory markers than can lead to diabetes, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, and premature aging.

If you also have been giving sleep the short stick, if your sleep is hit or miss, if you KNOW you should get more sleep but it’s never really happened, let’s change that. Let’s make sleep our priority over the next two weeks. Our weekly challenges are rooted in helping us move from the knowing to the doing, by carving out time and space in our lives to focus on one healthy habit at a time. Habits take time and practice and sleep is no different. Let’s make it our focus.

This Month’s Challenge: Watch the TED talk below by neuroscientist and noted sleep expert Russell Foster. Then decide on a reasonable sleep goal for yourself, based on your current sleeping patterns. What barriers do you need to address in order to get better sleep? What changes can you make to your evening routine to make it more conducive to a good night’s sleep?

If you have a Fitbit or another activity tracker, the sleep tracking feature is a great asset. I’m going to post daily either my sleep duration from the night before or how far above or below (in minutes) I am from my sleep goal. Please feel free to do the same. I like the accountability that a daily post provides. What gets measured can be improved. Let’s make our sleep hours as much of a priority as our daily step count.

Make it a great month!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Russell Foster TED Talk: Why Do We Sleep? (link below)

11 Surprising Benefits of Sleep
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20459221,00.htm

The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington (I just finished reading this book and it’s excellent)

...............................................................................................

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited July 2021
    Options
    b0rgy9avpex6.jpeg
    hkadm4jbb6j4.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Interesting. I love the opening about the alarm clock being a bad thing. LOL. I have pretty much mostly done away with having an alarm clock in the mornings even going back in to work. Listening to the TED talk from 2013 now. I totally agree with the importance, and thank you Maddie for posting about this and the things which you are changing to get more sleep.

One thing I started a few weeks ago was very strange but seems to help me get to sleep faster. I have been turning the electric blanket on so that the bed is heated before I get in. Of course it's summer so the AC is running like a bad dog. I turn the blanket off once I get in bed but something about the heat at first helps me relax.

Also, a purring cat is a wonderful sleep aide. Much as a noisy heavy paws cat is an alarm clock also. ;)

As far as what tiny habit I want to add for August I am still thinking. I am so totally stressed right now over having to be in the office while Covid Delta is in UNCONTROLLED community spread and more and more vaxxed people are catching it here. I am going to shelter back down for a few weeks until this big hump passes but not sure how to get the management buy in yet.

@SummerSkier Thank you! I love the electric blanket idea - will try!

I’m sorry your situation is so stressful… Since your habits are solid, maybe you need an August month of no new habits😉
    Or doing one thing a day that’s a relaxing, guilty pleasure?

Sending big hugs & wishes that things with Delta will turn around FAST. Are you able to work from home the next few months? Do you have an N-95 mask?

Hugs,
    Maddie🌸
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hi! @MadisonMolly2017 and @themedalist thank you for bringing this important topic back and providing information regarding sleep.

How do the experts calculate those sleep hours? Is it the time you spend in bed or do you need to use a tracking device to know the amount of minutes you were actually sleeping? I always wondered about this 7-9 hour recommendation. I do know that planning to be in bed for 8-9 hours results in at least 7 hours of sleep whereas planning for 8 hours usually gets me less than 7. Bottom line is I need to be in bed before midnight because I do like early mornings and I feel better when my FitBit says I've slept at least 7 hours. Maybe I need a night owl intervention?!? OR maybe I just need to change some bad habits??!!?! I'm going to listen to a podcast on circadian rhythm today. All of this thinking has been exhausting. I think I feel a nap coming on ;)

@nebslp hahaha re: nap!

Well I fought it.. used the sleep recording etc.

What I learned:
    Set bedtime

Turn off ALL screens a full two hours before bedtime. (I’ve tested this… if I’m on phone until 10:30, I have more trouble falling asleep by midnight, so I’m not playing with that anymore haha)

Get into bed with book one hour before
    Bedtime. When you start nodding off. Put down book & turn off bedside light. Zzzz

Because I am charging phone & watch downstairs, I can’t tell what time it is, which I think is helping- funnily enough!

One thing that took me a couple of days to realize: the hour or three I lose at night, I get back in earlier & more rested AM.

Also, I am now deciding more consciously how I will use my time during my waking hours so I don’t have the “No, I have more things I want to do feeling that would keep me going.”

🌸
    Maddie

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ahhhh, sleep! I'm struggling because we're only back in the office 2-3 days per week. On those days I get up at 4:20am in order to leave my house by 5:10am and be at work by 6am. The reason that I go in so early is because I'm also a massage therapist and have my own part time massage business in the evenings and on Sat morn. If I go in at 6am, I'm able to leave work at 2:30pm and can get back into town and take my first massage client at 4pm. I used to do it 5 days a week, and my bedtime routine started at about 8:45pm for a 9:30 "lights out". But working from home for the last 16 months, (with nothing to do) I've literally been bringing my laptop to bed with me, rolling over and logging on at 6am, then rolling back over and sleeping until 8am! But currently (for July and August) I'm doing a schedule of BOTH of those scenarios on alternating days!! Talk about hard to adjust! :disappointed::sleeping: The most recent update from mgmt is that we are scheduled to go back into the office "full time" beginning Sep 1.

During the 16 months that I've been WFH, hubby retired from his job.... so I'm also very envious of him not having to work. Lol.

I do like the idea of no screens 2 hours before bed, but I don't think I can give up screen-time at 7pm. I'm usually reporting here on all of my MFP groups!! Lol. I just might have to struggle through 1 more month before I can get back to a real "routine" that doesn't change every day.
    ~😃~💗~💪🏼~⭐~👍~🌺~🌞~💪🏼~💛~👩~🎈~👑~🎯~😎~🏆

On the subject of habits and habit stacking: my yoga is coming along nicely. My "norm" is about 15 mins in the mornings now - even on the mornings that I go into the office early!! I'd like to continue that in August and perhaps add a couple more different poses/stretches to my routine (which I now have memorized!) My walking (steps) is also coming along very well, and I'm increasing my steps in August from 10k/day to 12k/day.

I'm also going to add a kettlebell workout for strength training.... and see if I like that better than I do lifting the hand weights (which for some reason I do not enjoy!) I'm just not really sure how to "stack" this habit? Most days, after I've cleaned up the kitchen and the supper dishes, I'll take a 30min walk just up the road and back... perhaps I could do my kettlebell lifting right after I come home from my after dinner walk... Or....???? (Any suggestions welcome!) :)

Question: Do YOU have an afternoon or evening exercise "routine" with habit stacking? If so, can I ask what is YOUR "routine"? :)
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Options
    ~ 💕 ~🌻~ 💕 ~🌞~ 💕 ~☀️~ 💕 ~🌞~💕~🌻~💕~🌞~💕~☀️~💕~🌞~💕~🌻~💕~🌞~ 💕 ~☀️~ 💕 ~🌞~ 💕 ~🌻~ 💕 ~

rhm7viq34wbm.jpg

4kieyzice6mq.gif~Waving Hi~ Wishing You a SUNsational SUNday ~And~ a WONDER-filled Week ahead~

~💕~ May We ALL find August Filled with an ABUNDANCE of LOVE ~💕~ along with LOVEly Memories to pass around ~💕~

I AFFIRM ~ I WILL Succeed.... I got over 7.25 hrs good sleep Last night ... (thanks to Smart Watch for letting me know)

"Remember to be gentle with yourself and others. We are all children of chance and none can say why some fields will blossom
    while others lay brown beneath the August sun." ~ ~ ~ Kent Nerburn

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    Great habit, I'm going to work on my sleep - I really need to. More tomorrow :D
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    Now yall do NOT laugh but when I consider adding tiny habits I always want to make sure they are ones which I would like to continue indefinitely. So one thing which helps me to cope with stress is taking care of my animals.

For August I will I plan to comb/brush each of my animals daily for 30 strokes min. I can't tell you how relaxing it is when you just pause and take a min to treat your pet to a brush or comb. I have 4 cats and a horse. I think I can do this. LOL.

Aug 1. Lil Bit - check, The Dude - check, Valentino - check, Hai Hai - check. Bandit - to be done later at the barn.
    Each day I will post a photo of one of my pets.

PS - I did send an email request in to work today asking to work remotely while Delta is spiking here locally. Worst case they say no but at least I had the guts to ask... it was not easy.

can you find teenybonandbanditinthephoto?

kgxkymsaqus3.png
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see Maddie’s suggestion to focus on sleep this month! Count me in! My sleep has gotten better since we did the Summer of Sleep challenge several years ago, but it’s still not consistent. I still stay up too late & too often. And I always pay for it the next day.

Setting a consistent bedtime is for me the key. So I am going to focus on being in bed between 10 and 10:30 PM. Gives me some wind down time before I fall asleep.

I’m looking forward to making this a focus area in August. It certainly deserves to be!

• DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Options
    ~💕~⛵️~💕~🚣🏼‍♀️~💕~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~ 💕 ~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~💕~ ⛵️ ~💕 ~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~ 💕 ~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~💕~⛵️~💕 ~🚣🏼‍♀️~💕~⛵️~💕~
    ~Welcome to Today~a57nvyvj5cfm.gif~BLESSings~ALLways~
    ~💕~⛵️~💕~🚣🏼‍♀️~💕~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~ 💕 ~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~💕~ ⛵️ ~💕 ~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~ 💕 ~⛵️~💕~ 🚣🏼‍♀️ ~💕~⛵️~💕 ~🚣🏼‍♀️~💕~⛵️~💕~

zvm4uhdplp85.gif~Waving Hi~ And ~Wishing You a Most MARVElous Monday And a WONDERfilled Week~

WELCOME to a New Day ~And~ Week Filled with SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many MARVELous WONDERfull Possibilities
    I AFFIRM..... I WILL Stay focused on Healthy Habits..... Last night had broken Sleep.... 7hrs 46 m. total

"One can remain eternally young if ..... Each day, one grows rich by marvelous moments." ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Romy Schneider~ ~ ~ ~

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Aug 1 TY @Summerskier & @nebslp for being warm Technique for sleep

Worked like a dream 1) fell asleep instantly😆😆2) ditto free mid-night bathroom break & 3) allowed me to sleep another hour in AM (awoke too early)

8 hours💖 which is great as I have a big presentation today!!!!

Thank you!
    🌸Maddie

PS I’m glad so many of you found this of interest/use.

Much more Fun to Do It all together!

Thank you to Denise for her hours of work creating the post several years ago💕
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    I’m focusing on sleep, and to accomplish that I’m going to be off screens by 9 pm. I usually read on my kindle in the evening, but I’m going to try doing my journaling later instead. It’s a better time to journal and reflect on the day, but I’m a little concerned that I will undermine that habit - still, if I don’t try I’ll never know. I can do my yoga and meditation by listening instead of watching the video.

Aug 1 screens off by 8:30. Fitbit says 8:27 minutes of sleep (and it was hot in my bedroom). 😴 ⭐️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    I’m so relieved you are HOME!!!