LC Boot Camp: Active August 2021

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
All right, troops!
Whether you're a beginner, in your stride, or a long-time maintainer, we all have things to work on.

It's time for a Bootcamp. To focus hardcore on your plan's basics and to keep your body mobile, two essential focal points for the successful low-carber, or healthy human in general.

With a Pandemic still lingering on and making a nuisance of itself, things are harder to do. And life can just be unpredictable and just plain stressful. Despite....NO...INSPITE OF all this nonsense we have to deal with, we can do this! Dig deep this month and laser focus on your plan basics and figuring ways to be active.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

And right now PERSISTENCE is the key word for a lot of us.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice or support, you'll find that here.

A daily post could look something like this.

Wed 8/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

Or maybe if being really active is your focus:
8/1:
Activity: :+1: Got up and moved around every hour during the day. Dripping-sweat yard-stomp and angry garden weeding. 13k steps.

Or you can do something less rigid and give us a verbal description of how you are faring in your pursuits. But this is your show. So focus on your basics. Whatever they are. Make this month count! Tear it up! You've got this!

Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I know I have been in head down new job mode since May - Hopefully sticking myself with a new Libre sensor when I get back from a week of overnights in Manchester next Monday and then ready for August. Be interesting to see how the last couple of months with intense summer of sport shifts have affected everything.

Although - have noticed that after the initial "ZOMG my work clothes have SHRUNK in lockdown" moments, I can fit in my jeans even though an achilles tendon injury has meant I will be going right back to the beginning with my training sessions.

See you sometime next week!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,277 Member
    Options
    I am hoping August will be kinder to me than July... dealing with migraines/headaches with nauseous for the past 3 weeks now is for the birds

My August goals are ....to be consistent in walking 3 days and using my home gym 3 days ....drinking 120 ounces of water daily .....logging the good, the bad and the ugly....staying under my 15% in carbs :)
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    As most of August will be spent traveling, I am adopting the KISS strategy and committing to a minimum 30 minutes of activity every day (this is a no brainer: lots to do around Dad’s house and yard and there’ll be a solid week of kayaking and hiking) and shortening my eating/drinking window to 6 hours a day. I’ll be satisfied with maintaining until the 21st. I even had a scale shipped to Dad’s and will weigh every day for accountability (that swollen first weigh in post-flight will be terrifying, I’m sure).
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    My boot camp goals for August will include getting back into food prep, meals not desserts (which I was guilty of in July). I did lose 1lb so I'll aim for 2-3 more. Continuing my outdoor rides, spin and strength classes and I need to add some walking or elliptical on a consistent basis. I feel better and am less hungry the more active I am. Meal prep will prevent me from just throwing something together that may end up being more food than I need.
  • savvybshoes
    savvybshoes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the group and MFP but ready to commit in August. It has the potential to be a crazy month because I may end up homeschooling my 5 year old (while working from home and nursing my 7 month old) :# Regardless, my goals for August are to be more consistent with my water/electrolyte intake (1 gallon/day), continue training for my 5K (3 workouts/week), do yoga or strength at least 4 days/week, and of course keep hitting my calorie/carb goals. I struggle with being an all-or-nothing perfectionist, so I'm going to try really hard in August to pick back up and keep going after I mess up instead of going on a 3-day binge fest like usual. Looking for more accountability buddies so please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the group and MFP but ready to commit in August. It has the potential to be a crazy month because I may end up homeschooling my 5 year old (while working from home and nursing my 7 month old) :# Regardless, my goals for August are to be more consistent with my water/electrolyte intake (1 gallon/day), continue training for my 5K (3 workouts/week), do yoga or strength at least 4 days/week, and of course keep hitting my calorie/carb goals. I struggle with being an all-or-nothing perfectionist, so I'm going to try really hard in August to pick back up and keep going after I mess up instead of going on a 3-day binge fest like usual. Looking for more accountability buddies so please feel free to add me as a friend!

Welcome to this group and MFP ...Happy to have you join us ....You are welcome to add me ... I have homeschooled my daughter since day 1 ...She is a junior in HS this year..We start on 8/23/21 :)
  • baconslave
    Options

Yikes, girl. You gonna be busy.
    I have 4 kiddos and have been homeschooling forever. I graduated my oldest last year so...14 years of homeschooling, I think. So I feel you. You've got this, though.

Diet-wise, the hardest thing is getting back up when you stumble. (Of course that works on a lot of stuff life throws at us too. :smirk: ) But with successful practice that will get easier. One meal at a time. One day at a time.

• baconslave
    edited July 2021
    Options
    So for me...
    I've been trying to get off the Quarantine 15 since OCTOBER and just losing and regaining the same 3lb. I know what I need to do. I just need to do it.

As I always say, Consistency + Persistence + Time.
    Jess, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. Make it so. Winter is coming and my ineligible kid could get vaccinated some time in the next few months so Ladies' Night might finally happen again after 1.5 years, so I need to be able to fit into my jeans again. I refuse to buy bigger jeans. The others are perfectly good.

I need your help, guys.
    Ready to hit the ground running tomorrow.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Ok August, time for some change. I’ve been maintaining or adding weight like a champ so time to get serious. I am going to focus on portion sizes and listening to my hunger signals. If I’m bored, I need to find something to occupy my time. Let’s not eat because it’s time for lunch, dinner or whatever- let’s eat because my body tells me it’s running low on fuel. I haven’t mastered this yet but I’m gonna try!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I’ve been off the wagon for several years, telling myself that perimenopause had my hormones out of whack and there was nothing I could do about it. Along with job stress of working in healthcare over the past year and a half, I’ve slowly put weight back on until I am now just 15 lbs shy of gaining back the 75 I lost years ago.

That stops now.

I’ve been on a new supplement to help with perimenopause symptoms, which is finally helping, and am ready to focus on nutrition and eating right again.

August goals are
    Strength training 4 days a week
    Run 3 mornings a week, temp and humidity permitting
    Protein goal of 148g/day
    Work on my novel at least a little every day
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    We were camping this weekend so I overdid it on low carb snacks considering we were not as active as usual. Kayaked a couple times but practically no walking. So I'm counting today as my August kickoff. Will be strength training at lunch then food prep after work. I believe we are getting a full week of dry weather and I plan to take full advantage.
  • taylok23
    Options
    8/1-8/2
    I did alright with eating yesterday but was over on calories. I waited to eat until I was hungry but did eat more than I really needed at dinner. Today was a good day though. I focused on hydrating, waited to eat until I was truly hungry and didn’t snack when boredom set in this evening. A step in the right direction! I even thwarted my saboteur to avoid sweets I knew we didn’t need.
  • savvybshoes
    savvybshoes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow totally forgot to check in yesterday. The baby didn't sleep so the whole day was a battle lol.

Today I've done great - water, food, and run all on point. Now I'm waiting for this baby to go to bed so I can do my yoga and then have a (pre-logged) piece of keto cheesecake.

@baconslave, may need to hit you up for some homeschool advice lol.
  • baconslave
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Mon 8/2:

Exercise: Long yard walk :+1:

3/3

• baconslave
    Options
    Wow totally forgot to check in yesterday. The baby didn't sleep so the whole day was a battle lol.

Today I've done great - water, food, and run all on point. Now I'm waiting for this baby to go to bed so I can do my yoga and then have a (pre-logged) piece of keto cheesecake.

@baconslave, may need to hit you up for some homeschool advice lol.

Cool just ask. I'll pop over and approve the FR.
  • taylok23
    Options
    8/3
    Another decent day. I got plenty of hydration which seems to help the occasional hunger pang. I did eat a bit more at dinner but I still went to bed feeling satisfied and not stuffed. The day before I felt a bit hungry at bedtime so need to find that balance going forward.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    8/1 rest day ....8/2 was suppose to use my home gym but a migraine and nauseous all day didn't allow me ....8/3 we walked 165 minutes 7.49 miles ... 8/4 meal prepping and using my home gym :)
  • baconslave
    Options
    Tues 8/3:

Exercise: weights for legs and a short walk:+1:

3/3

• taylok23
    Options
    8/4
    Good day for hydration but it’s causing me to get up at night . Guess I need to get my ounces in earlier! I’m doing well with eating a bit lighter midday. Last night I had a delicious Chipotle salad for dinner but ate fairly early and man, did I want to snack all night. Alas, I did not- it helps when hubs is trying to behave himself.