Current yoga goals or practices?

saltysparkle
saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
Hi all! I'm new on the boards. It's my second time around trying to lose weight, and I really wanna connect with people who are also trying, or trying again!

What are you all doing for yoga these days?

I tend to be a gentle yoga person. Hot yoga sounds like the 1st level of Hell to me. Like, where you feel like you should be enjoying yourself and feeling good, but actually, everything is wrong but you seem to be the only one in the room who really, truly hates it? Like that.

I love Adriene Mischler's videos, so I'm trying to get back into doing at least 2 (but preferably 3) YWA videos each week. I did one today, so I just need to try to get one or two more in this week. Anyone else doing YWA?

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I’ve cycled through the various YWA 30 day series this year. I find her a bit chatty and many of the videos are a bit too relaxed for me although there are some gems especially in the 30 day yoga journey.

Right now I’m trying to recommit to my ashtanga practice, it’s such hard work to get started but I know I love it once I’m on a roll. It’s been over 5 years since I had a consistent ashtanga practice 😔 I’m committing to it for the month of august to see where it takes me.
  • CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    I do enjoy hot yoga. I was up to almost daily hot yoga practice before we all had to go on lock down. So right now I just do a hr vinyasa flow a once or twice of the week. The rest of the time I sprinkle in some stretches. Right now I have been working bohobeatiful split challenge.
    I really feel like I need to get on being a little more self disciplined. :/
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    My current yoga goals have changed dramatically in the past year. I used to have a goal to practice every day and I many years of dedicated practice. However, I have shifted into balancing yoga now with other forms of movement and I am not solely focused on yoga anymore. This feels like a natural evolution for me. So, currently, my goals fory yoga are more about using it as a tool when I want to and when I need to.
  • saltysparkle
    My current goal is to practice at least 3 times per week. I'm just always happier and healthier when I do!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    I am trying a happy, short, daily practice.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,121 Member
    I’m interested in yoga, but my balance is beyond terrible. And I have other physical issues.

Any recommendations?

I did accidentally purchase Apple Fitness+ so I have their videos available. But they’re…. a bit much.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    Balance is important to keep. Dropping and busting a hip is bad.

I encourage you to find the most senior advanced well-trained teacher you can find, and take their absolute most basic fundamental class.

A great teacher who has worked with a student five or ten times can really make a great yoga practice. The good teacher/student familiarity is important in my opinion. Especially as having physical issues and not being familiar with a practice...taking a online vid. may not really lead to you doing a yoga consistently. Good luck...and post back here what you decide. @MargaretYakoda
  • MargaretYakoda
    Balance is important to keep. Dropping and busting a hip is bad.

I encourage you to find the most senior advanced well-trained teacher you can find, and take their absolute most basic fundamental class.

A great teacher who has worked with a student five or ten times can really make a great yoga practice. The good teacher/student familiarity is important in my opinion. Especially as having physical issues and not being familiar with a practice...taking a online vid. may not really lead to you doing a yoga consistently. Good luck...and post back here what you decide. @MargaretYakoda

Well, my balance is pretty much shot.
    Ménières, some say. Idiopathic, some say. Hypochondriac one neurologist said… but I know for sure that one’s wrong. 🤓

I used to ride a unicycle. And I miss it. I still try and push my balance on a daily basis.

As for finding someone in person, well…. That means leaving my house. Which is tricky on a good day.

So I’m kinda stuck.
  • saltysparkle
    edited August 2021
    @MargaretYakoda -- Caveat: I'm a former dancer and dance teacher, so I think nearly everything can be solved with the right movement prescription. ;)

That said, barring some physical problem that can only be fixed surgically or medically, I feel like there should be some somatic exercises out there -- probably on YouTube -- that can safely help improve your balance without leaving your house. Feldenkrais or Alexander Technique might help, or the right floorbarre class. If you decide to poke around and look for stuff like this, I'm happy to either help you vet the videos you find or search for some for you if you are coming up empty-handed.
  • saltysparkle
    My current yoga goals are just to increase the amount of yoga I'm doing. I started keeping track in June after my first session back on the mat in a very long time. In June I did 8 yoga sessions. In July I upped that to 15. So my goal for August is more than 15!
  • MargaretYakoda
    @MargaretYakoda -- Caveat: I'm a former dancer and dance teacher, so I think nearly everything can be solved with the right movement prescription. ;)

That said, barring some physical problem that can only be fixed surgically or medically, I feel like there should be some somatic exercises out there -- probably on YouTube -- that can safely help improve your balance without leaving your house. Feldenkrais or Alexander Technique might help, or the right floorbarre class. If you decide to poke around and look for stuff like this, I'm happy to either help you vet the videos you find or search for some for you if you are coming up empty-handed.

I’m interested…

Issues: Neuropathy in both feet and lower legs, absolutely terrible (almost nonexistent) proprioception, with little to no ability to stand without holding on to something.
    And some other stuff.
  • saltysparkle
    @MargaretYakoda -- While I'm sure a good physical therapist would be a lot better than I am at prescribing movement that would help you, I'm happy to do some digging (and also consult my own PT, who is amazing) and send some links. If you haven't heard from me in a few days, please nudge me!
  • MargaretYakoda
    @MargaretYakoda -- While I'm sure a good physical therapist would be a lot better than I am at prescribing movement that would help you, I'm happy to do some digging (and also consult my own PT, who is amazing) and send some links. If you haven't heard from me in a few days, please nudge me!

Coincidentally, I’m working on getting a few PT appointments right now.

And thank you. I’m looking forward to your advice.
  • saltysparkle
    @MargaretYakoda I would start with this foot warmup with Ellie Kusner. She's a dancer, dance teacher, dance scientist, pilates instructor, and just generally good person who cares about people. If that's to your liking, I can recommend more in that vein (she certainly has other videos if you like her), or if it's not, lmk why and I'll see what else I can find for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF66CbIAJ98&t=11s
  • Beelady516
    Beelady516 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm new here I do easy yoga as I'm older and my balance isn't great but I'm working on it... And I love the flexibility I achieve when I'm doing Yoga 🙆🌌🙏
  • saltysparkle
    Welcome, Beelady516!
  • Beelady516
    Beelady516 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2021
    Good Morning fellow yogi,s working on some standing poses today 🍃🌌💫💜
    I'm working on getting better balance..I've also started doing meditation helps me..I would like to do it daily ut things come up an off I go working on daily helps the winner self even if only for 5 -10 minutes 🙍💫🌌