August 18

Options

Replies

• bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Question for the running experts out there--

What do you think of the odds of me being able to complete a 15k race 7.5 weeks from now? So far my longest run has been 5 miles, and my next goal is to tackle a 10k maybe Monday or so. Oh, and the course has some serious hills, and I have a hill phobia. Oh, and running is soooo hard. Every step, lol.

I believe I am thinking clearly, that it just isn't realistic? Not even close. But then I waffle and wonder if maybe I should take on the challenge? It is actually 4 days before my 60th birthday and it would be such a victory, so that is why I am even contemplating it.
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Yyy
  • bradkcrew
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @znaoiec I really want to be able to do push ups too--it was actually a goal for this month to get started, but it hasn't happened. Still plenty of time I suppose, but I can't figure out how to get going to improve strength--modified push ups maybe?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    Question for the running experts out there--

What do you think of the odds of me being able to complete a 15k race 7.5 weeks from now? So far my longest run has been 5 miles, and my next goal is to tackle a 10k maybe Monday or so. Oh, and the course has some serious hills, and I have a hill phobia. Oh, and running is soooo hard. Every step, lol.

I believe I am thinking clearly, that it just isn't realistic? Not even close. But then I waffle and wonder if maybe I should take on the challenge?
    It is doable.

For reference I ran my first ever 10k (flat) on 9/20/2014 and then my first half marathon (hilly) 8 weeks later on 11/15/2014. It was a suffer-fest though and I struggled so bad getting the mileage up towards that distance that I wasn't too sure I was ready. But I made it.

15k is right in there where the really tough mileage area can begin on distances over 10k, but not quite as bad as needing some 10+ mile training runs before a half marathon. You will want to get to doing at least a couple 8 milers prior to the 2 weeks before your event. For me 8 miles was the magic number I found hard to reach going from 10k to HM, after that I did 10 a lot easier, but then really struggled to hit 12.

Depending on your pace, you may or may not find the 8 to 9.3 mile range as tough. If it takes you around 2.5 hours to go that far, you'll have a bit more muscle training and development to undergo than a faster runner, but 7.5 weeks is a good enough amount of time to adapt for that.

In my opinion you should go for it. You already see it as a challenging yet attainable goal, and the time to increase that distance is reasonable.
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    @bradkcrew I am not remotely a running expert but I’ve always heard never add more than 10% a week to what you’re currently doing to avoid injury. So if you are doing 5 miles now and you want to do a 15 k ( approx 9.3 miles) with adding 10% each week, you’d be at nearly 9 3/4 miles by week 7! So it’s doable. I’d just make sure the longer runs are times when temp/humidity is not too high! Good luck with that!
  • clutterqueen
    Options
    @Healthymumlife I guess S Australia is now on my list of places to visit one day! Gorgeous! You are so fortunate to live so close! Think of the rest of us on your next walk!
  • clutterqueen
    Options
    @donna25trinity I am the same way about exercise! If it’s not in the morning, I don’t enjoy it( unless it’s a hike). It can be the same exact exercise, same exact intensity, but it feels energizing in the morning and like torture in the afternoon!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Oh, and one thing to keep in mind @bradkcrew - as long as you don't try and "keep up with the pack" and run at your honest pace, you will find you can knock that 10k out (and even 15k) a lot easier than you suspect. Being part of an event gives you extra stamina, no joke! Training runs at new long distances are much more brutal than the event for most people. Unless you run it too fast, of course.
  • clutterqueen
    Options
    Exercise:✅
    Tracked:✅
    Under:✅

I definitely start out my mornings with exercise first thing. No coffee for me! When my kids were really little, I used to run at 4:30 so I’d be back and showered by the time they woke up. My last several years of working, I had to be at work by 7, so I got up and got going between 4:30 and 4:45. Now that I no longer work, I can sleep a little later. But days that I have to get up at 5:30 I tell myself that this is sleeping in compared to before! I’m one of those people who gets cranky if I don’t exercise, so I do almost every single day of the year. Not high intensity every day though.
  • bradkcrew
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @clutterqueen Thanks for the encouragement! Hmm...what's the worst that can happen? I flake and lose $55 dollars?
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    Today’s report
    Calories: squeaked in below my limit
    Tracking: good
    Exercise: 35 minutes of active stretching because I was really tight this morning. Walking for 20 minutes
  • clutterqueen
    Options
    @RangerRickL 20-35 minutes of active stretching first thing every day is very impressive! I find the older I get, the more time I have to spend stretching after jogging, biking (spin or outside) , or hiking. I tighten up really fast if I don’t. I really should spend more time proactively stretching when I haven’t just exercised! I used to be really good about taking yoga classes. Since we’ve moved to TN, I’ve only done a few online ones, except the few I’ve done when we went back to NC to visit family.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    @znaoiec I really want to be able to do push ups too--it was actually a goal for this month to get started, but it hasn't happened. Still plenty of time I suppose, but I can't figure out how to get going to improve strength--modified push ups maybe?

Hi @bradcrew i hope u dnt mind me chiming in. Def start with modified push ups on ur knees and u can slowly increase the amount u do then after a while u will be able to do them on ur toes. It just takes time & patience to straighten those muscles. I had to take a year recovery break after hving bub and going back i honestly struggled to do 2 on my knees ha ha i never thought id ever be able to do them on my toes again but thankfully i can now!!! Xox
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    @donna25trinity I am the same way about exercise! If it’s not in the morning, I don’t enjoy it( unless it’s a hike). It can be the same exact exercise, same exact intensity, but it feels energizing in the morning and like torture in the afternoon!

Yep ur so right. Ha ha!! TORTURE is the best way to describe it. Ha ha
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    8/18/2021

Exercise? Yep, just over 20 minutes.
    Tracking? Yep.
    Calories? Nope.

How do I start my day? Usually whining in my head that I have to get up. ;) Seriously, I barely drag myself out of bed with enough time to get to the bus on time. For the most part, I would almost power walk (at least my version of it) to the first bus stop, then kind of schlep between the last bus stop and work. Then, after work, I'd power walk back to the bus stop, and then kind of stroll when I get off the bus to my apartment. On the weekends, if I ride or "run/walk," I have to get up extra early especially during the summer. I don't like mornings. Well, it's okay once I get going, it's the getting going that's an issue. :)