Thoughts on Sola Bread, Mission Low Carb, and Katalina Crunch

solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
I'm wondering if you eat these and are fine or get stalled, kicked out of ketosis?

I need some bread supplement to stay on track. I have been off and restarting. I used to bake a lot with almond flour and flaxseed flour but very short on time at the moment. I would appreciate hearing about your experience, if you have measured your insulin response or tracked ketones that would be great to know.

(and yes, I know it's better to not eat this stuff, no need to say that, or to say to just stick to meats etc. some of us need to not feel too deprived of certain foods to be able to do this.) Thank you!

Replies

• solska
    Let me also add to this list Wasa Crisps and Joseph's Bakery Wraps
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I used to eat WASA Crisps before I found out I had Celiac disease. I think they are yummy and miss those and the Rye Crispbreads. Right now I eat Carbonaut Multigrain-seed bread. Low in carb and Gluten Free.
    https://carbonaut.co/product-category/gluten-free/
  • solska
    I do love the wasa with the sesame. Or any wasa with cream cheese.

This carbonaut bread looks great. I'd rather not order bread on amazon though. Will check grocery stores. thanks.
  • canadjineh
    I get my Carbonaut from a couple of local health food stores and also one of the larger chain grocery stores here in western Canada. I wasn't sure where you are based, so I just gave you their bakery website in case it's available in your area. :D
  • solska
    Thank you. I'm in the southern US. I checked their website. But will look more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2021
    I personally used mission low carb tortillas and Schmidt 647 bread.

Does it kick you out of ketosis? I don't know. Even if it did, then it would only be for a short period of time. The second thing to consider, is there a need for you to stay in ketosis at all times?

Fat losses about calories not about being the ketosis at all times. What is more important is finding some sustainable so you can lose fat. If that means you have to use a low-carb bread to stay consistent and that is more important than being in ketosis at all times.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,938 Member
    I make my own low carb bread using this website
    https://www.wholesomeyum.com/category/low-carb-bread/
  • MarieNYCA
    MarieNYCA Posts: 11 Member
    I've been using low carb tortillas to make pizza. (The trick is spraying it with cooking spray and heating it in the oven first so it's crunchy, and then add toppings.)

They don't seem to have any negative affect for me.
  • cherie8525
    cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
    I have yet to find a bread substitute. My need to stay in ketosis is the all the health benefit.. If your eating keto just for weight, then I would agree it wouldn't be end of the world to pop in an out. Fascinating to see what your body reacts to that I use to eat all the time. My husband LOVES enchilada, so at our 6 month keto mark we made 10, not the normal 30/40. he ate 2.5 and was in agony from the shell.. 24 carb per shell and there pretty much flour. poor guy was pretty sad his body didn't react well.
    My body is having issue with the almond, nuts and flour :( it major because all recipe keto style swap out for almond flour. I tried coconut flour, it add so much coconut flavor to what ever your making.
    I too use to back all the time, I really do miss it
  • grltaz
    grltaz Posts: 1,619 Member
    Solska, i hope you are checking your BG and ketones to find out how these things react in YOUR body. We are all different. I can eat mission tortillas and they raise my BG 10-20 points at times and very little at times. I do not check ketones. I have good luck with youtube Deidra's low carb bread if i do not eat it all the time. 1-2 times a week is good. I did not care for the taste of sola and i have good readings with soul bread recipes. I am pre diabetic.

Cherie, I love egglife wraps for enchilada's. If you can find them, try them. They are pricy but hold up pretty well considering they are egg white and xantham gum. If you can not find them youtube Cookingketowithkristie has a recipe to make them. TC
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm a big fan of Mission Low Carb Tortillas. And I'm a tortilla snob.
  • tande4
    tande4 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2021
    Several months ago we dropped "keto" breads with wheat entirely and only use chaffles as bread now. They are awesome, bread can't hold a candle to them. Literally hundreds of flavors from sweet to savory, you decide what you're in the mood for. It just takes a few minutes, you make them yourself.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Re Catalina Crunch: my body can be really touchy when it comes to fiber. It generally doesn't like fiber at all...BUT...sometimes it tolerates fiber from different sources better than others. Currently there are usually 2 LC cereals that I eat - one of which is Catalina Crunch. My body doesn't seem to mind al the fiber so I usually have that cereal 1-2 times per week. The other cereal that I eat is LC Foods "Hot Cereal Like Oatmeal" which I only eat when I'm desperately craving oatmeal. My body doesn't like the fiber in that cereal AT ALL!! I have not yet tried Magic Spoon Cereal.

Of all bread products, I love and miss soft tortillas the most. While I like Mission's Low Carb Tortillas, I do not like the ingredients they use so I try to stay away from them. Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortilla's have somewhat better ingredients, have good flavor, but the texture is slightly different. They are more stretchy and chewy. I've messed around too many times to count at home trying to come up with a decent version of a LC Tortilla - but have had no success (and, not to toot my own horn here, I'm an exceptional LC cook / chef).

I recently stumbled across 2 kinds of Tortillas that I think are worth looking into. One brand is Simply Tortillas. I believe they currently offer 3 (?) kinds or Tortillas. I got and tried the Prickly Pear Tortillas. They taste just like corn tortillas except, of course, they are green in color because of the cactus used in the recipes. If you like corn tortillas, I highly recommend this brand. I don't particularly like corn tortillas and never had. Glad I tried them though. They are on the small side and you do have to gently heat them a little bit on each side in a small frying pan (like 30 seconds per side) prior to eating them.

The other kind is Wio Brand "Smart Tortillas." I have not yet had a chance to try these but I will shortly be trying their white bread and tortillas. I have my eye on their hotdog and hamburger buns too!

I'm with @grltaz though - Diedre's Low Card Bread recipe is a pretty simply and easy one to make. It's definitely one of the better one's out there. The only drawback there for me is that I'm not fond of eating recipes that include flaxseed meal. To clarify - no the recipes does not taste bad at all - I just don't care for the ratio of omega oils flaxseed contains, etc.

The only other online Low Card bread recipes I've found that are damned impressive are those by Keto Luna. The only catch there is that you need to use her "Keto Flour" - which you can make up at home - in order to make her recipes. (shrug) Her recipes are all free, including the recipes for her Keto Flour.

FWIW, I have not tried Sola Bread. After checking out the ingredient list, I see that it contains soy and that is one ingredient I avoid at all costs (by personal preference / choice).
  • liviastella
    liviastella Posts: 3 Member
    What do people think about the Fox Hill Kitchens breads. Quite pricey but I think they might work with keto?
  • ginamyrmel
    ginamyrmel Posts: 70 Member
    I've tried Sola bread and enjoyed it, but find La Banderita Carb Counter tortillas both easier to find in stores and tastier. Side note: made fish dipped in egg, then rolled in a mixture of parmesan cheese and almond flour, then lightly sprinkled with Red Lobster Seafood Seasoning and fried in ghee. Best fish I've ever made.
  • canadjineh
    @ginamyrmel did you use the 'breaded' fish for fish tacos with the Carb Counter tortillas? I really miss a good fish taco!
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2021
    I was just coming here to ask about Mission Carb Balance tortillas. I had one this morning, and when I went to enter it, I was stunned by the 30 carbs. I know, I know, 25 is fiber, but that number is still scary. I'm going to check ketones today and go from there. Might just do half going forward, at least until I lose some more. I don't want to muck things up this early. I'm *finally* seeing the increased energy and good feeling everyone talks about with low carb, which I've absolutely never gotten with it in the past. I think it's because I'm tracking my fat now, and making sure I'm getting enough. But....I know my brain. If something happens to stall or discourage me now, it's gonna get rough up in there. LOL.
  • NurseSassy76
    NurseSassy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Mission tortilla have too much fiber for me. I use La Banderita . They have several sizes I use the smallest one for less net carbs and portion control. Doesn’t knock me out of Ketosis and as T2d it doesn’t raise my blood sugars either. I also found new bread from kiss my keto. Can order it from Amazon . It’s pricey but worth it if bread is something you are really craving. 0 net carbs. Only 5 carbs/5 fiber per slice. Benefit of fiber but not overkill to make stomach hurt. It does have gluten...but it tastes more like bread then most keto options and they have several flavors. Again...I canhave 2 slices and it doesn’t move my sugars at all so not taking me out of ketosis. I manage my diabetes without meds so it’s a true tell.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I can't buy ready made low carb wraps where I live, so I have to make them. I made her Keto egg fast Snickerdoodle ones today for lunch, but now these caught my eye for tomorrow! https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/keto-sandwich-wraps-sun-dried-tomato/
  • solska
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Re Catalina Crunch: my body can be really touchy when it comes to fiber. It generally doesn't like fiber at all...BUT...sometimes it tolerates fiber from different sources better than others. Currently there are usually 2 LC cereals that I eat - one of which is Catalina Crunch. My body doesn't seem to mind al the fiber so I usually have that cereal 1-2 times per week. The other cereal that I eat is LC Foods "Hot Cereal Like Oatmeal" which I only eat when I'm desperately craving oatmeal. My body doesn't like the fiber in that cereal AT ALL!! I have not yet tried Magic Spoon Cereal.

Of all bread products, I love and miss soft tortillas the most. While I like Mission's Low Carb Tortillas, I do not like the ingredients they use so I try to stay away from them. Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortilla's have somewhat better ingredients, have good flavor, but the texture is slightly different. They are more stretchy and chewy. I've messed around too many times to count at home trying to come up with a decent version of a LC Tortilla - but have had no success (and, not to toot my own horn here, I'm an exceptional LC cook / chef).

I recently stumbled across 2 kinds of Tortillas that I think are worth looking into. One brand is Simply Tortillas. I believe they currently offer 3 (?) kinds or Tortillas. I got and tried the Prickly Pear Tortillas. They taste just like corn tortillas except, of course, they are green in color because of the cactus used in the recipes. If you like corn tortillas, I highly recommend this brand. I don't particularly like corn tortillas and never had. Glad I tried them though. They are on the small side and you do have to gently heat them a little bit on each side in a small frying pan (like 30 seconds per side) prior to eating them.

The other kind is Wio Brand "Smart Tortillas." I have not yet had a chance to try these but I will shortly be trying their white bread and tortillas. I have my eye on their hotdog and hamburger buns too!

I'm with @grltaz though - Diedre's Low Card Bread recipe is a pretty simply and easy one to make. It's definitely one of the better one's out there. The only drawback there for me is that I'm not fond of eating recipes that include flaxseed meal. To clarify - no the recipes does not taste bad at all - I just don't care for the ratio of omega oils flaxseed contains, etc.

The only other online Low Card bread recipes I've found that are damned impressive are those by Keto Luna. The only catch there is that you need to use her "Keto Flour" - which you can make up at home - in order to make her recipes. (shrug) Her recipes are all free, including the recipes for her Keto Flour.

FWIW, I have not tried Sola Bread. After checking out the ingredient list, I see that it contains soy and that is one ingredient I avoid at all costs (by personal preference / choice).

Just seeing this... family emergency health kept me away and I am trying to come back and get on track by the end of the week. I was wondering why you avoid soy? My endocrinologist had told me years ago to cut soy but I was eating so much back then as a vegetarian.