New

Options
Hi 👋🏻 was just diagnosed with T2D and my doc is giving me about 4 months to try to control it through diet and exercise. I have been using MFP for almost 3 weeks plus exercising and have lost 10 lbs. so far. Looking forward to connecting with people in this group.

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,698 Member
    Options
    Hello. Welcome to the group.
    I was diagnosed in February. I got my A1C down from 9.2 to 5.7 by early June. Hoping it will be even lower next time we test.

I also dropped 30 pounds in that space, and have dropped very nearly 30 more.

You’re in good company here.

Some of us are doing keto, which works for them just fine.
    I’m not. But I am keeping my calories down, and that’s making a difference.

I already had most of the habits in place already. I just had to tighten up around the edges.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2016 with an A1C of 12.8 and fasting BG of 350 something. I went on metformin and the Diabetes Association diet. I never saw a BG number under 200, and my doctor wanted to add meds. I dropped my carbs to 50 and started seeing numbers in the 100's. I reduced my carbs to 20, and got my A1C numbers down in the 5's for a couple of appointments. I am off metformin now, and control things with diet. A1C's are mostly high 5's. I did have one 6.1, but my doctor would be happy if I were doing that on meds.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I was diagnosed in 2016 with an A1C of 12.8 and fasting BG of 350 something. I went on metformin and the Diabetes Association diet. I never saw a BG number under 200, and my doctor wanted to add meds. I dropped my carbs to 50 and started seeing numbers in the 100's. I reduced my carbs to 20, and got my A1C numbers down in the 5's for a couple of appointments. I am off metformin now, and control things with diet. A1C's are mostly high 5's. I did have one 6.1, but my doctor would be happy if I were doing that on meds.

How do you survive on 20 carbs a day? Personally, I know I couldn't do it. I have about 120 to 145 a day. ANd, here is the question that is foremost on my mind. Aren't you afraid that if you add carbs back into your diet, you would gain any weight back within months.
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for over a decade but within the last two years decided to try and get things in order (strange that I didn't kill myself before this). When I went to see my doctor a year and a half ago, my a1c was 15! And my sugar was 450.

Last week it was 6.4 (we're headed in the right direction). My next goal is to have it under 6.0. The last time I was on MFP I was eating less than 20 carbs a day (difficult, but doable) and my sugars were excellent. This time around (I'm back after being gone for a long while) I'm going to keep it around 40-50 carbs a day.
  • steelrod1
    steelrod1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly,

I was also given some time to get my act together form my doc. Been eating pretty good logging everything. I walk at a min. 30 minutes a day. Haven't gotten my meter yet, the VA, is rather slow. Hang in there we can do this.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,698 Member
    Options
    steelrod1 wrote: »
    Hey Kelly,

I was also given some time to get my act together form my doc. Been eating pretty good logging everything. I walk at a min. 30 minutes a day. Haven't gotten my meter yet, the VA, is rather slow. Hang in there we can do this.

The VA has CGMs. If you’re service connected, and they put you on insulin, consider asking them for one.

I think it’s the Freestyle Libre they use. Which is a definite upgrade from the Accu-Check Aviva, which is what they usually give vets.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

How do you survive on 20 carbs a day? Personally, I know I couldn't do it. I have about 120 to 145 a day. ANd, here is the question that is foremost on my mind. Aren't you afraid that if you add carbs back into your diet, you would gain any weight back within months.

I have been doing the <20 net carbs a day since late 2016. I just checked and I have been under 10 a day for the last week. Basically my only carb consumption has been leafy greens, things like cauliflower or (occasionally) nuts. This way of eating really works well for me, and I totally understand it is not for everyone. I don't think I will ever add the carbs back.

A friend of mine also lost about the same amount of weight I did over about the same time period. He did it with shakes and meal replacement. We both discovered that for us anyway, maintenance calories are lower than what the charts tell you. He told me he just could not stick to 1600 calories a day, and he has since gained most of his weight back.
  • happyfarang
    happyfarang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Having lost 10kg when first type 2 diabetes diagnostic 10years ago. The weight came back slowly from 84 kg down to 74kg then back to 84 over 7 years. I always cut down sugar but that fateful day came back when I had that muffin and I became hungry for sugar again and so started the circle again 40mg Lipitor 1000mg metformin twice a day and 60mg mr Gliclazide daily for the last six months after the dr warns me that next will be injections blood levels were 9.6 . So six months of low carb diet. First week, terrible headache this was the sugar detoxed then the weight came off slowly over the six months and not feeling hungry made it easy. Just came back from my six monthly check up, long term fasting blood sugar level is now 6.2 and Dr said not necessary to take Gliclazide 60mg daily only if I keep to my current weight which now is 73kg. I never want to have sugar again but this time I had a small piece of birthday cake and felt sick. So now I don't associate sugar as a nice thing as I remember feeling sick. Low carb works for me and if I crave something sweet I eat an apple and get a sugar fix but its a natural high now I will not eat sugar ever again. Currently 63, getting old .Your choices are so important to quality of life. Hope this will be of help to you out there, one day at a time.
  • Diabeticdiva69
    Diabeticdiva69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetic new to fitness pal I've tried weight watchers and didn't lose a pound so I'm now here hoping to restart a new lifestyle I'm 53 and menopausal due to surgery which I had to have due to cancer so I was told by Dr to lose weight
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetic new to fitness pal I've tried weight watchers and didn't lose a pound so I'm now here hoping to restart a new lifestyle I'm 53 and menopausal due to surgery which I had to have due to cancer so I was told by Dr to lose weight

Glad you are here - lots of resources for the weight loss. You just have to figure out what works for you...