Happy Walktober (and MORE)!!

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited October 2021 in Social Groups
h4j3hzypotti.jpg

Happy Walktober!

If you’re not familiar with Walktober, its a global campaign every fall to encourage people to walk. Outdoors if possible in the cooler temperatures and autumn highlights, but indoors also works if that’s more your style. Just walk!

There are Walktober events everywhere and many are held online. Lets join in and put daily walking on the top of our priority list this month. Maddie and I both walk everyday and we’re both convinced it’s a big factor in why we’ve maintained our weight loss. Walking daily gives me the energy I need and it makes me a happier, more creative person. Walking fuels my life.

And if you don’t walk regularly, please use Walktober as a springboard to cultivate this life changing habit! Give yourself the full 31 days. Start where you are— many of us started with 5 or 10 minutes a day — and gradually increase the duration as it becomes easier for you. Make the investment in yourself and in walking. Maddie and I are very confident you will feel the difference come November!

We know many of you are also fellow walkers and we’d love to hear how it’s benefited you. Even if you choose another activity or tiny habit to focus on this month, we hope you’ll also walk daily. Whatever you pursue this month, we are here to support you.

Shoes laced up, let's GO!

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @SummerSkier make an excellent point. Getting started is always the hardest part. Once you start walking, it’s much easier to continue. I often tell myself I’m only going to walk for 5 or 10 minutes. And then it becomes 20 minutes!

If you’re new to walking, maybe start with just getting on your walking shoes? Put them in a visible place (the front door perhaps?) as a cue to remind you to go for that walk. Once you got them on, just walk for a minute or two… Whatever’s a good fit for you.

Getting started is always the hardest part. Reducing the obstacles to getting started, such as telling yourself you’re only gonna walk for a few minutes, should make it easier to turn that ignition switch.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    So question. @themedalist can we also have a tiny habit thread for the month of October? I don't really need to focus on exercise (and it seems like Maddie and you also have that down as well as @77tes.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier you definitely don’t need to increase your mileage! Wowzers! 🤩 You can be the coach!

What else would you like to work on this month? I have an empty slot on my tracker for something, but I haven’t decided on anything yet other than upping my mileage.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Well, darn! I’m not interested in participating in the walking group this month. I’ve found developing tiny habits in the past has been really helpful in what I’m doing better today…more consistent bedtime, more water, loving meditation, moving more, decluttering, being more creative, and the list goes on😊 But I don’t think tracking miles walked will help me personally in the way that I need, so I will be bowing out. Good luck on your trek!
  • themedalist
    Options
    @nebslp, the mileage goal is purely secondary. My hope is that people would feel inspired to walk more this month, that’s all. Some people may not feel they need to walk more, but maybe we could encourage and support those who want to become daily walkers?

I’m disappointed that a second thread was created when this thread can accommodate all October goals.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Reposted (From @SummerSkier)

So for the month of Oct, I am going to be a more observant driver. I drive about an hour on the highway every day to see Bandit and for a long time I used license plates as my method of making me pay attention. Honestly as I get older my mind does wander more when I am driving and not distracted so much as just not sharp brain stuff.

So....
    I am going to keep track of all the different states I see while driving on the highway. This will make me more aware of the cars in my traffic zone.

The immediate reward is that my eyes WILL BE ON THE ROAD 100% scanning for these plates and I hope to avoid any wrecks

The fun part will be finding all 50 states.

So far yesterday I captured:

Oct 1
    Florida
    Texas *yeah really*
    Illinois
    Louisiana
    Arkansas
    Kansas
    California
    Virginia

I would love to participate in walktober gals but honestly my running goals have an entire life of their own and do not need another location to keep track or motivate me.

Maddie and Denise, please do not feel you need to moderate this thread (I don't want you thinking you have double the work!)

bONakaSummer
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Reposted from @PKM0515

I love this idea, bON!

I need to get back to tracking my medication...AGAIN. :/

P.S. I really like that you created a separate thread. To be honest, I like the idea of tracking, but I get overwhelmed by the big monthly thread. I get discouraged because I can't keep up, so I wind up giving up instead.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    As our amazing (and very busy) leader said when asked, we’re going to have one discussion strand.

We are renaming this discussion “Walktober and More” to accommodate those wanting to stretch their walking & those who want to work on their other habits.

Thank you,
    Maddie & Denise