Jardiance

Options
Good morning everyone. Hope you're all doing well.
My doctor has added Jardiance to my medications. My A1C was higher this month, so she was a little worried that I was heading down a dangerous path.
I am feeling kinda depressed as well, so before she changes those meds, she is going to get me into a treatment program. Anyway, in the meantime, I was worried about Jardiance, because it says side effects may include(rarely) pancreatitis, which because of my chronic pancreatitis, I was worried. If I get pancreatitis, my doctor says to stop taking it immediately.
So, I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Jardiance. Thanks.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself.

I have no experience with Jardiance, so I don't have any insight there.
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    As a PATIENT I have PERSONAL experience with 4 classes of T2D meds:

Biguanide (metformin), GLP-1 (Victoza), DPP4 (Januvia) and TZD (Actos).

As an alleopathic PHYSICIAN I have PROFESSIONAL experience with all the different classes of meds used for T2D including the SGLT2 (Jardiance).

My conclusion. They ALL suck. Worst of all is INSULIN.

Not at all helpful. I don't have a well functioning pancreas. Due to a little error in a gallstone removal, I contracted an infection, that became necrotizing pancreatitis. Over the course of a year, I went from 50% functioning pancreas to 10%, maybe less now. I can't follow a LCHF diet that you push, because too much fat causes a bout of pancreatitis, leading to more loss. So, I will never be able to reverse my diabetes and to give such a negative reply is no help at all. In the future, just don't bother to answer any of my posts.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    When you are prone to pancreatitis, do you log fats and have a limit or max that you should stay under to avoid a flare-up? I do not eat an especially high fat diet compared to some - I try to stay under 100 fat grams a day. That might be a lot for someone with other medical issues. I just have no sense of perspective.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    As a PATIENT I have PERSONAL experience with 4 classes of T2D meds:

Biguanide (metformin), GLP-1 (Victoza), DPP4 (Januvia) and TZD (Actos).

As an alleopathic PHYSICIAN I have PROFESSIONAL experience with all the different classes of meds used for T2D including the SGLT2 (Jardiance).

My conclusion. They ALL suck. Worst of all is INSULIN.

Not at all helpful. I don't have a well functioning pancreas. Due to a little error in a gallstone removal, I contracted an infection, that became necrotizing pancreatitis. Over the course of a year, I went from 50% functioning pancreas to 10%, maybe less now. I can't follow a LCHF diet that you push, because too much fat causes a bout of pancreatitis, leading to more loss. So, I will never be able to reverse my diabetes and to give such a negative reply is no help at all. In the future, just don't bother to answer any of my posts.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am not completely sure Mr Sazani is still welcome on MFP.
    He hasn’t logged in for a few days, and I appears to me that many of his comments have been nuked.

Comments like the above. Which is really an irresponsible statement. Insulin doesn’t “suck” it is exactly what has been keeping my husband alive for decades.

I don’t want to say too much. But, uh…. For all that he says he is a physician, he has a very troubling record. Which is easy enough for anyone to find if they do even the slightest amount of looking.

Take his advice with a couple very large grains of salt.
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    When you are prone to pancreatitis, do you log fats and have a limit or max that you should stay under to avoid a flare-up? I do not eat an especially high fat diet compared to some - I try to stay under 100 fat grams a day. That might be a lot for someone with other medical issues. I just have no sense of perspective.

In order to avoid flare ups as well as more damage to my pancreas, I take digestive enzymes, and was told to have no more than 40 grams of fat per day, 10 per meal. For the most part I do pretty well with that. I do have an occasional 'cheat day' where I go over all my allowances, carbs, fat and now cholesterol.
    I swear, one more medical issue and I may jjust have to live in a bubble and get a nanny(lol)
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    40 grams is really pretty restrictive. Meats would have to be very lean to get protein in. I have an awareness of fats but 40 g and 100 g are in different ballparks.

Pancreatitis is just one of those things that has really never been on my radar.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Any updates?
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    Any updates?

Thanks for asking. The Jardiance is really helping with my blood sugar levels. Most days now, before meals is below 6(CDN), I used to know how to convert to American numbers, but I forget now. And my A1C this month was down to 7.3%, which is down a little. My GP doesn't want it too low, so probably closer to 7%-7.1% so I am getting there.
    As for your previous statement about the 40g of fats. It really isn't that hard to get. I eat a lot of chicken, fish and eggs. Not so many eggs anymore. I can use a bit of olive oil when I cook. I've never like the skin on chicken or turkey, so that's no hardship. And I very rarely eat red meat anyway. I used to live on a farm, and I saw them killing a cow, and it turned me right off red meat ever since. But, I have to admit, when the price is right, I do like to get a rib eye once in awhile. I do pay for it physically the next day or two though.
    Anyway, sorry for the long answer.
    Have a great day.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Any updates?

Thanks for asking. The Jardiance is really helping with my blood sugar levels. Most days now, before meals is below 6(CDN), I used to know how to convert to American numbers, but I forget now. And my A1C this month was down to 7.3%, which is down a little. My GP doesn't want it too low, so probably closer to 7%-7.1% so I am getting there.
    As for your previous statement about the 40g of fats. It really isn't that hard to get. I eat a lot of chicken, fish and eggs. Not so many eggs anymore. I can use a bit of olive oil when I cook. I've never like the skin on chicken or turkey, so that's no hardship. And I very rarely eat red meat anyway. I used to live on a farm, and I saw them killing a cow, and it turned me right off red meat ever since. But, I have to admit, when the price is right, I do like to get a rib eye once in awhile. I do pay for it physically the next day or two though.
    Anyway, sorry for the long answer.
    Have a great day.

Weel - it does seem as if the new med is helping and not causing a flareup. This is all good!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been on Jardiance for almost 6 months and my HbA1c has come down from 94 to 62, without much change in my current eating pattern (high carbs, not much vegetables, trying to cut down on sugar but it's difficult, which is why I was put on it). The nurse advised me to drink lots of water as there's a risk of perineal gangrene, since you're basically peeing out excess sugars. I'm on a minimum of 2 litres a day. If you get any yeast/fungal infections, like once a month or every couple of months, report it to your healthcare provider. Hope that helps 🙂
  • judyvalentine10
    Options
    Hello, I've been on Jardiance for almost 6 months and my HbA1c has come down from 94 to 62, without much change in my current eating pattern (high carbs, not much vegetables, trying to cut down on sugar but it's difficult, which is why I was put on it). The nurse advised me to drink lots of water as there's a risk of perineal gangrene, since you're basically peeing out excess sugars. I'm on a minimum of 2 litres a day. If you get any yeast/fungal infections, like once a month or every couple of months, report it to your healthcare provider. Hope that helps 🙂

That really does help. Thanks. So far(knock on wood) no side effects. I do drink lots of water, shower and change after a workout(not that I needed to be told). I do watch for the infections and such. But I have to say, I was hoping I would lose more weight, but that's not happening. But, life goes on.