Best “Healthy” Pizza Recipe

Options
MrsOle_1101
MrsOle_1101 Posts: 27 Member
Just want to see what kind of recipes people have for healthier pizza!

Replies

• footstepspetphotography
    Options
    I've used wholemeal pitta breads as a base before.
  • luckyjw254
    luckyjw254 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I am on low carb, low fat diet, but this recipe seems to satisfy! I use Rao's pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni.
    https://kalynskitchen.com/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza-chicken-bake/
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Golden Home Ultra Thin pizza crusts are decent, and currently Dollar Trees near me have either a single 12" crust or three 6" crusts for a dollar. My carb goal is 45-60 per meal, so I can have half a large or a whole small crust. I top it with either homemade tomato sauce or leftover spaghetti sauce with meat. For me, I use mostly onions, mushrooms, and sometimes peppers because I'm watching sodium. I give my husband more meat and keep pepperoni slices on hand. I just use an ounce of mozzarella on my half but give him more. Or I might use a little feta on mine instead of mozzarella. If I wasn't watching salt I would add black olives.

Occasionally I'll make a cheese sauce and add taco meat for a Mexican pizza -- for him. Top with lettuce and tomato after cooking. He likes that a lot but it isn't especially healthy -- except I don't use processed cheese. I melt cream cheese and cheddar and then stir in the canned tomatoes with green chilis, which at least sneaks in some vegetables.

If you don't have a Dollar Tree near you and are in the U.S., you may find this link helpful (current as of 11/11/21).

https://www.dollartree.com/golden-home-ultra-thin-pizza-crusts-12/182986?gclid=CjwKCAiAm7OMBhAQEiwArvGi3DCakwTultjYI4faOt4ePGNwP67holAPl7HBdoa9MnKdo7Nfv-6IwBoCXGQQAvD_BwE

• ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pre-made sauces can often have a lot of added sugars or salt. My favourite quick way to make sauce is

- some chopped onion and bell peppers (about 20g each, fried) and whatever other veggies you fancy
    - 1 tin chopped tomatoes or passata
    - some tomato puree
    - some crushed garlic or garlic puree
    - mixed seasoning and spices
    - pinch salt if needed

Shove them all in a pan, it should be enough for a few pizzas or as pasta sauce or something. Also as fresh fruit and veg can be expensive, buying a couple fresh peppers and onions, chopping and freezing them for later helps limit waste and saves on prep time whenever you wanna cook some more sauce. Then just add to some wholewheat/half-and-half toast, pita or whatever, add your toppings and you're done :)
  • lucillejane
    lucillejane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered cauliflower crusts. Can anyone share any great recipes?
  • deejoan
    deejoan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like to take low carb/low calorie tortilla shells. We use that in place of a pizza crust and add all our toppings, sauces, etc. My husband puts them in the oven for a few minutes before adding toppings and then bake until all toppings done.