What foods are helpful when you have no appetite, or are nauseous.

Options
MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,379 Member
I am bringing this discussion to this group because it came up elsewhere and I thought the discussion would be better here than hijacking the other conversation.

I am not interested in rehashing the other conversation because ultimately it doesn’t matter.

That said? If I am having a bad day, foods I usually can eat are:

Kozy Shack tapioca.
Homemade peanut butter cookies. (Peanut butter, egg, and sugar only)
Applesauce.
Crackers sometimes, but usually they’re not tempting enough when I’m feeling off.
Raspberry sorbet.

What works for you?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Here are three articles that make some basic suggestions.
    Ginger, broth, protein, dry crackers, etc.
    Basic stuff. Tried and true. Most of the suggestions are helpful, for sure. But sometimes I know I personally need something more than the basics.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/diet/foods-that-help-relieve-nausea/#:~:text=Crackers&text=Foods high in starch

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-to-eat-when-nauseous

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326683
  • LynneM1980
    LynneM1980 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would love the pB cookie recipe if you have it?

I do ginger tea for an upset stomach, with a bit of honey. My other go-to is hot black tea with milk and sugar. I also like toast or crackers like you suggested. Rice helps, just bland rice. It isn't tempting, but if I can't get anything down I'll make rice.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I don’t know if it’s suggestion or something else, but today I’m feelin’ it.

Sipping some seltzer water. And just hoping it doesn’t get worse.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    LynneM1980 wrote: »
    I would love the pB cookie recipe if you have it?

I do ginger tea for an upset stomach, with a bit of honey. My other go-to is hot black tea with milk and sugar. I also like toast or crackers like you suggested. Rice helps, just bland rice. It isn't tempting, but if I can't get anything down I'll make rice.

Peanut butter cookie recipe:

Use a standard peanut butter. Frankly? The cheaper the better. The no-name brand the food bank hands out was one of the better ones for this recipe. Jiff and Skippy are also good. NOT Adams natural. It just doesn’t mix right.

The standard recipe is
    Preheat oven to 350.

1 egg
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup sugar

I have had good success cutting the sugar down to 3/4 cup. Works best if the egg isn’t jumbo.

Mix everything together in a bowl.

Grease a cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Don’t skip that part.

Spoon out the dough and press down with a fork or other implement. You want them about 2” to 3” and about as thick as your pinkie. Or perhaps a pencil.
    They do spread a bit, so leave about an inch between cookies.

Now. Bake. About 10 to 15 minutes. But probably closest to 13.
    You have to watch them like a hawk. They burn if you look at them sideways.
    Keep the oven light on. Remove from the oven when the edge of the cookies are the color of a walnut shell. Then cool.

I have won multiple blue ribbons with these. Not kidding. They are delicious.

• LynneM1980
    LynneM1980 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!