Helpful Online Diabetic Resources

2»

Replies

• nerak50
    nerak50 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi. I am new here and newly diagnosed, and am finding it over whelming. Has anyone read anything by Dr Joel Fuhrman? His book The End of Diabetes is very popular on Amazon. He wants people to eat no or very little animal products. Very hard--but he promises great results!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    nerak50 wrote: »
    Hi. I am new here and newly diagnosed, and am finding it over whelming. Has anyone read anything by Dr Joel Fuhrman? His book The End of Diabetes is very popular on Amazon. He wants people to eat no or very little animal products. Very hard--but he promises great results!

I don't know much about it, but it was not appealing on whole to me (protein and fat too low, carbs too high), though there were attractive aspects (avoiding processed foods, eating lots of nutrient-rich vegetables).

My personal preference is a low-carb, high-protein (plant, fish or fowl) diet, with limited calories tailored to your circumstances and lots of low-net carb vegetables. Phinney and Volek's New Atkins for a New You is a good, simple yet comprehensive intro.
  • amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    nerak50 wrote: »

Hi, I bought his book 2 years ago before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. A friend of mine had lost a significant amount of weight in a short time and had a ton of energy , so I followed his plan for breakfast and lunch and had normal dinners... I lost 10lbs in 3months and felt great. I wish I had stayed on the plan I might have put of getting diabetes longer.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    trying to follow this diet plan, finding it hard as unpalatable eating so many vegetables and beans So much confusing material now! just read How not to die Michael Gregor - awesome read.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    The only thing that raises blood sugar is carbs. Do not be fooled into thinking that carbs do not matter. If you eat a meal with no carbs, your post meal blood sugar will not go up based on that meal. You eat one with carbs, your blood sugar will go up even without diabetes.

Please be very careful with any diet that says you can cure/reverse diabetes. Eating plant based with low enough carbs and high enough protein will be a lot tougher that eating lower carb with animal proteins. I am not talking keto or extremely low carbs, but lower carb. I have found this website helpful: www. bloodsugar101.com. Everything there has links to the research to support it. Does Dr. Fuhrman's? I am not familiar with his research or his book, but if it is founded in science, you should be able to get to research studies as you make your decisions.
  • sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member
    No such thing as curing diabetes even if you reverse it you are still a diabetic.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    No such thing as curing diabetes even if you reverse it you are still a diabetic.

I consider myself a diabetic who is able to control BG with diet (for the time being at least). I do not pretend (even in weak moments) to have cured it...
  • sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member
    2t9nty so happy you can control your diabetes with diet. You have great willpower.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    2t9nty so happy you can control your diabetes with diet. You have great willpower.

I have every expectation that the day will come when diet is not enough, but for now it is working. I want to maintain things as long as possible this way. The trick for me with the diet is totally staying on program with the carbs. For things like Thanksgiving, I still keep net carbs under 20, but I let calories slide.