December 5

Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    And one addendum to the above opener

eating back your exercise calories.

So one thing I have noticed over the past few years as I have incorporated some longer and faster runs into my workouts is that the day "of" a intense workout my appetite tends to be depressed. But the day or two after I find myself very hungry. That's why to me eating back your exercise calories can be a false flag. I tend to eat to a steady state TDEE cal amount which is an avg basically for a week or two. or even a month. So technically I don't eat back exercise cals on the SAME day but I do over time. And sometimes will go right up to the limit of my large allotment the day after or the day before a long run.

I know sometimes folks like to use the eat back exercise cals as a daily type thing but for me at least it just doesn't really make sense. I want those cals to ENERGIZE my workouts so I need them at least 48 to 72 hrs prior and maybe 24 to 48 hrs after for recovery. I wish the whole terminology would be changed.

I believe this applies both to losing weight and maintaining.
    Here is a TDEE chart I used when I was losing which I like....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7gGXXQIy4R4ejRRNkZHZHFDOW8/view

You have to download to a computer and save as your own excel file and then input your data. It doesn't even try to have an addition for exercise specifically but is a basic chart which as time progresses or your workouts change will show you your TDEE.

Just my thoughts for the morning!

I downloaded the spreadsheet - any info on where to go to find out how it works???? (what am I looking at entering where? What changes does it track and what do they meeeeeaaaaaannnnn??? )
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,746 Member
    @bmcc9 If you click on the cells you will see that it wants you to set it up - start date, lb, cal, etc... Then you just enter the date each day. Cals, weights and it will calculate TDEE. You can tell it how many weeks to use also. Below I put some initial data in but you can customize for how you want it. I would save it after download to your hard drive as whatever file name you want. Then just play around in it. ;)

jlqpsxsuquw1.png
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    @SummerSkier soooo, after loading the personalized initial baseline data at the top, and when you get to the first Week / Stats / Mon / Tues / .... part, that would be Weight and "Cals (consumed)" per day across the row? Or would that be "Cals (the fitbit said I burned) per day? (Not entirely clear on the TDEE thing in general)

I am far enough from the First of Nov to load last month's info in "as if looking over a random test-subject's data" (no personal emotional investment in the numbers) and then continue from there. I might even keep up a week's lag on the Dec stats at first, just to keep the "emotional distance" as I get used to understanding what I am looking at.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    3x yes today. Lovely hike over some lovely hills:)

0 pass days
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,577 Member
    12/5
    Exercise-yes
    Caleries-yes
    Logged-yes
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    yes x 3
  • yrc_pr
    yrc_pr Posts: 204 Member