Santa Sprint 2021 Challenge!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yesterday (12/9):

Logged: check
    Net carbs: 79, so above my 75 g goal, but not bothered by that as I felt good, logged, and ate healthfully. My net carbs were from white beans (28 g, finishing up a cassoulet I made for lunches and froze before I decided to focus on lowering carbs more), peaches (4 g), blueberries (8 g), whole milk yogurt (5 g), and hemp seed (1 g) (all 4 for a smoothie, along with some veg, since I didn't feel like cooking breakfast) for a total of 46, and then 33 g net carbs from veg (fennel=3.5, kale=0.5, cauliflower=4.5, brussels=5.5, cabbage=7.5, carrots=10, mushrooms=1.5, jalapeno pepper=1). None of the higher carb things I ate are things I would exclude from my diet, and it's nice to have a day that was 38 g fiber, which is largely due to the beans. However, on Saturday I may make an effort to reduce it more, as I was going to experiment with that.
    Protein: 132, so well above my goal minimum of 100.
    Movement: pilates plus a good bit of walking. Closed all rings.
    Journal: yes
    Sleep: pretty good.

What I'm happiest about at the moment is that I have maintained a logging streak that began before I started this challenge. I plan to complete the month and log even challenging days with my best estimates. I also decided to move from the no food before lunch schedule I was doing back to a three meals a day including breakfast (what I did when I was losing -- I've been experimenting with a number of other things during maintenance), and am finding I like this way of eating a lot once again. I'm also being pretty consistent about bringing lunch vs having to buy something at work.

Today will be one of the challenging days as we are having our work holiday party. I'm not going to try to hit my macro goals or calorie goals (back to that tomorrow), but I am going to estimate and log (breakfast is logged but that was easy).
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Day 11 - 180.4
    Another big Whoosh! Although I can't take all the credit. Managed to catch a stomach bug the other day. Apparently it's been going around here. But I will take it! Now let's see if I can keep it down!
    Have an AWESOME day all!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Day 12 - 180.8
    And another slight uptick. So hopefully that means tomorrow I will be under 180! LOL! Actually I was surprised it went up only .4 lbs. Yesterday was a rough day. Another day of storms. I tried so hard to be good and stay low carb. I managed it I think, but it's also so hard to log in food from a restaurant. But I ordered a salad with grilled chicken and eggs while everyone else had pizza, some kind of pasta dish, a sandwich that I would have killed for! All very carby foods while I was eating a salad. For breakfast, I had them order me an egg/cheese/sausage sandwich. I figured I'd toss whatever bread came with it. I tossed one slice but folded the sandwich over and ate it with the other slice. OMG! Sooo good! I think it was sourdough bread. Anyway, that was my highest carby food. So I did good. I was still in a calorie deficit as well. Let's see if I can do it again today.

My thoughts and prayers for everyone who was in the path of that deadly tornado in the midwest. And the high winds here in my own state. And to all the power company crews who are working around the clock to get everyone back up in power. My area didn't get hit until later last night but we were ready. And back at it today after 5 hours of sleep. So I don't expect my weight to go down. Too tired.

Have a great day!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I was doing Keto, and I started gaining. I am back up 3 lbs. to 239.8... with a goal to get to 232. I started the month at 242. So I am going back on Carnivore.

I had 3 Jumbo eggs w/2 ozs ham, cooked in 3 tbsp. butter for breakfast. Lunch is 6 ozs. of diced chicken thigh, cooked in 3 tbsp. butter, and for dinner I am having an 8 oz. sirloin tip steak, cooked in 2 tbsp. butter.

That's pretty high fat.. close to 80%, with moderate protein.. and 5-6 grams of carbs. Still only getting 1600-1800 calories a day, so I do feel low carb, leads to low calorie... but low calorie, is not necessarily low carb, and the problem with low calorie high carb, is not the carbs you eat to get to 1800 calories.. it is the 1200 calories, and 100 grams of carbs you eat for " 4th meal ", when you are starving at 10 pm., and hit the local Taco Bell.

No one can actually stick to a 1800 calorie menu, with 225 grams of carbs. Those carbs, CAUSE you to crave more carbs, based on what they are.. sugar is worse than a banana, but both cause cravings.

It all comes down to what humans are meant to eat. We eat foods that come from cow's milk, but that is meant to fatten up a cow to weigh a ton. It would be like giving a cow, human breast milk.. we would think that is weird, but we do the opposite. Much of the plant food we eat are seeds of the plant, and nature protects against it's natural predators .. bugs, and that affects us. What may kill an insect trying to eat the plant, simply makes us sick, but the reason is, we are not supposed to be eating most plants.

That doesn't even take into account that when we have big farms manipulating fruit, to make it more sugary, and bigger, and more resistant to bugs, it is even more harmful, or that when you plant 5x as many crops per sq. yard, each plant gets 1/5th the nutrition from the soil in the food.. 20%.

So you get sugar, which causes cravings, and your body wants 100% of the nutrition it needs, so when you are at 20%, it demands more, in search of the nutrition it needs.

They have founds ways to make meat less healthy, but so far, it's still hugely nutritious, and it not only keeps blood sugars stable, so you aren't having cravings, but when you have the proper number of nutrients, your body doesn't tell you to go eat, and get MORE.

If you get to goal on a plan that is working NYPhotographer, then you simply start adding 5 grams of carbs of ONE food for a month, and see how that affects you. If you continue losing, then it is OK, and you add another 5 grams of another food. I would start with more non-starchy vegetables. You can add quite a few of them, before you try more dangerous options, like fruit or dairy, nuts, or legumes. You may find that you can only handle 15 grams more per day, than what you ate to get TO goal, but then you KNOW, and simply stick to that, and check the scale every week to make sure you aren't gaining, or losing.

I don't think you EVER go back to eating like you did. You won't end up 20-30 lbs. underweight.. much more likely that you gain weight back, so I would just take it slow once you get near goal.. maybe start adding 5 grams when you are 5 lbs. above where you want to be, to slow down, if you are still losing quickly.

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that fruit and cheese are at best treats I can rarely have, the way others have birthday cake.. berries & cheese do not cause cravings, but they do stall my weight loss, and I feel worse. Most people can eat quite a bit of carbs and still maintain though.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    So as mentioned above, Friday was my office party, and I planned to just eat what I liked (within reason). I estimated the calories and macros (logged the foods and amounts or my best estimates and tried to do so generously). I did have some dessert. It involved a large late lunch with appetizers (while we were standing around talking) and then a dessert after (I had some, not a lot), and the main sitdown part that was pretty balanced, just higher cal than if you made it at home (it was at a steakhouse).

Given all that, for Friday:

Logged: yes.
    Net carbs: rough estimate, but about 151 g.
    Protein: another rough estimate, but about 127 g.
    Movement: weights at the gym plus yoga plus extra walking.
    Journaling: yes
    Sleep: Pretty good.

I skipped dinner since after all the food in the afternoon I was not hungry and I knew I had had plenty of cals for the day. This was not difficult at all, I was satisfied. I actually even ate breakfast kind of late the next day -- had a combo breakfast/lunch as I planned to eat a bit lighter to make up for the day before.

Saturday:

Logged: yes
    Net carbs: 59
    Protein: 72 (was lower than I like given my goal is 100 g)
    Movement: just yoga and some walking
    Sleep: so so.

Plan for today is to get in a good bit of walking (it's nice enough that I can walk to and from church and get some other errands done on the way back) and then to decorate the tree tonight. Also I am going to make ahead some lunches for the coming week and to generally plan my menus as I intend to do a little shopping also.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    OK, I'm late to the party but I'd like to join for December. I've had an especially full few weeks and am exhausted. Last week I dropped to stricter keto, had increased energy, and have crashed this weekend energy-wise. Less careful with eating Fri/Sat. Not sure if crash is diet-related or just having an overly full week (probably both). I've bounced back up the 3 lbs I'd lost in Nov.

Re-setting. I decided to try the Squeaky Clean Keto Challenge from IBIH. I struggle so much with my MS symptoms and low energy that I will shift to something else if I notice any worsening on a WOE for more than a couple of days. (I do know to supplement electrolytes.)
    SW: 161
    I did full measurements this morning, too, and they were sobering. No wonder most of my clothes don't fit. :/
    I also am following my PT and OT home programs.

Goals for now:
    * Do PT and OT home exercise programs, walk, and ride my exercise bike at least 3x/wk each.
    * Keep carbs below 50 total per day (may revise that after this week depending on how I feel).
    * Go to bed by 11 at least 3 nights a week.
    * Check in here at least once a week.

My top priority right now is to do whatever I can to increase energy and (related) recover as much as possible from my March MS attack and September COVID infection, and be able to keep up with family and work essentials.

Weight-wise, I'd love to get back to 135-140 lbs but even 150 would be good progress at this point. I had gradually gone up two clothing sizes over the past 4 years and really don't want to have to buy another new wardrobe but am very much on the verge of that right now.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mary from Pennsylvania.
    Back again! Will post weight on Sundays. Sticking with what has been working for me since 5/14/21. 1000-1200 calories/day,
    Net Carbs15 +/- 3 grams(some days actually less), 70+ oz water/day, only 2 meals/day on non work days (I work 4 days/week) and exercise on my non work days (as I work long days).
    UGW-122 lbs
    Down 84.2 lbs of 132 lb goal to lose.

Oct goal was 10 lbs Almost made it!, loss -9.6 lbs
    Nov goal was 5 lbs Made it, loss -5.6 lbs!
    Dec goal is also 5 lbs, loss so far -5.4 lbs! Made my goal!

9/14/20-255 lbs Highest weight twice :-(
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212.0 lbs
    9/1/21-200.0 lbs
    10/1/21-191.4 lbs
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    12/1/21-176.2 lbs

12/5/21-171.8 lbs. I'm wearing size 10 jeans but yesterday I tried on a brand new pair of 8's, (with tags on) l found in my closet. I zipped them right up without any trouble. Only reason I won't wear them yet is my flabby stomach hangs over the waist really bad. Need to start doing abdominal crunches! Also as of yesterday I am no longer Obese on the BMI scale (even though as a RN, I don't really think it's a super tool. My sons who are very fit, are sometimes classified as Obese and one only has 4-6% body fat. We seem to be solidly built people. I've always weighed more than people think). So I'm now Overweight! Can't wait though to hit the Normal anyway! About 26-28 lbs to go for that.

12/12/21-170.8 lbs Was at a work Christmas bowling party last night. They had snacks and were to have some Keto friendly ones. They had pizza, french fries and BREADED chicken nuggets. I didn't have any. Glad I took some of my own to munch. I had a hard boiled egg, colby jack string cheese, pecans and water.
    I expected a bigger drop today. Was hoping for 160 something but will take it. I did 242 minutes on my Elliptical for 17 miles today.

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    12/9-12/12
    I’ve kept the snacking at a minimum for the last several days even though I’ve really wanted to at night. I’m considering going back to the thinner, leaner, stronger weight lifting program where I will need to watch macros more closely. If I do, I’ll either come back to MFP for food logging or do a dual log here and in Noom until I finish off that program mid January. Noom doesn’t show macros. I recalculated my TDEE and BMR and to lose, I need to drop down to about 1350 calories a day. I think I will struggle with this but will see if I feel fueled enough. Upping my protein will likely help at 40% of my calories. Something to think about for right after the holidays.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yesterday:

Logged: yes. I am really happy about how much I am enjoying logging right now, as getting back into logging has been what I have struggled the most with in these challenges in the past.
    Net carbs: 53 g.
    Protein: 114 g.
    Movement: just a good bit of walking. Linked my watch (in late afternoon) with a new phone so didn't get good results for the day, but everything was closed but my move cals, and I was close enough that I think I would have gotten those. Linking wiped out the day, though, and I just didn't bother wearing it the rest of the day.
    Sleep: only so so. (Was better last night and I just generally feel better so far today as a result.)
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Joining this challenge a little late but I have been low carb since October 29, 2021.

Starting weight 10/31/21 - 258.6
    December weight 12/1/21 - 251.0
    End of year Goal 12/31/21 - 245.0

Other goals for each day:
    Stay under 100g carbs
    Get at least 2,500 steps
    Eat close to daily calories (I have a problem with skipping meals and being too low then eating whatever to get enough to close the day.)
    Drink 85 oz water

Doing well with all the goals except the calories one. I know it's supposed to be CICO so you would think being low would be a good thing but if I don't eat enough I don't lose either. Yesterday was good but I did skip lunch and then filled in calories again. This morning I weighed 247.8 so I'm on track with the weight goal.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Another day on track, keeping that goal.. just 6 grams of carbs.. and I lost 6/10ths of a lb. I am down to 239.2 on my way to 232 for the end of the month, and I think I will get there. Just have to repeat what i am doing every day, and see the results.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Another day on track, keeping that goal.. just 6 grams of carbs.. and I lost 6/10ths of a lb. I am down to 239.2 on my way to 232 for the end of the month, and I think I will get there. Just have to repeat what i am doing every day, and see the results.
    You are doing great! I wish I could be consistently under 10 grams of carbs/day! I do average about 2 days a week doing that though. I'm not completely carnivore, but 3/4 of the way there! I just like cheese too much! B)

• NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Day 14 - Second verse, same as the first! Neither up nor down and I will take that as a win!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yesterday:

Logged: yes.
    Net carbs: 67 g.
    Protein: 86 g (lower than my goal 100 g).
    Movement: lazy rest day. I had lots of energy in the morning but also lots of non exercise things to do, and my ankle, which has been bothering me off and on was acting up. After work I had intended to do some spinning (which wouldn't be an issue for my ankle), but I just decided I wanted to rest instead. No big deal -- I'm going to the gym today -- and my ankle is feeling better today.
    Sleep: pretty good. A bit restless but total hours are better than usual.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Starting weight 10/31/21 - 258.6
    December weight 12/1/21 - 251.0
    End of year Goal 12/31/21 - 245.0

Other goals for each day:
    Stay under 100g carbs: 26g
    Get at least 2,500 steps: 4,479
    Eat over 1,000 cals: 1356 (6 over but had 178 exercise cals so it was ok)
    Drink 85 oz water: 118.3 oz
    Down 4.6 lbs for Dec to 246.4 lbs
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Hi! I'm Mary from Pennsylvania.
    Back again! Will post weight on Sundays. Sticking with what has been working for me since 5/14/21. 1000-1200 calories/day,
    Net Carbs15 +/- 3 grams(some days actually less), 70+ oz water/day, only 2 meals/day on non work days (I work 4 days/week) and exercise on my non work days (as I work long days).
    UGW-122 lbs
    Down 84.2 lbs of 132 lb goal to lose.

Oct goal was 10 lbs Almost made it!, loss -9.6 lbs
    Nov goal was 5 lbs Made it, loss -5.6 lbs!
    Dec goal is also 5 lbs, loss so far -5.4 lbs! Made my goal!

9/14/20-255 lbs Highest weight twice :-(
    5/3/21-240.5 lbs
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21-222.2 lbs
    8/1/21-212.0 lbs
    9/1/21-200.0 lbs
    10/1/21-191.4 lbs
    11/1/21-181.8 lbs
    12/1/21-176.2 lbs

12/5/21-171.8 lbs. I'm wearing size 10 jeans but yesterday I tried on a brand new pair of 8's, (with tags on) l found in my closet. I zipped them right up without any trouble. Only reason I won't wear them yet is my flabby stomach hangs over the waist really bad. Need to start doing abdominal crunches! Also as of yesterday I am no longer Obese on the BMI scale (even though as a RN, I don't really think it's a super tool. My sons who are very fit, are sometimes classified as Obese and one only has 4-6% body fat. We seem to be solidly built people. I've always weighed more than people think). So I'm now Overweight! Can't wait though to hit the Normal anyway! About 26-28 lbs to go for that.

12/12/21-170.8 lbs Was at a work Christmas bowling party last night. They had snacks and were to have some Keto friendly ones. They had pizza, french fries and BREADED chicken nuggets. I didn't have any. Glad I took some of my own to munch. I had a hard boiled egg, colby jack string cheese, pecans and water.
    I expected a bigger drop today. Was hoping for 160 something but will take it. I did 242 minutes on my Elliptical for 17 miles today.

Couldn't wait for my regular weigh-in day on Sunday. I just had to share...
    12/14/21-169.4 lbs! Finally under 170! But now all I think about is the next goal for the scale of under 150! Down 85.6 lbs total, 12.4 lbs already of my 15 lb goal for November, December & January. I had a later start for my Elliptical today so only did 140 minutes for 11 miles.

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    12/13-12/4
    Nice job everyone! So many successes this month! I snacked both last night and tonight and shouldn’t have. Last night I stayed within my calorie goals but had fish for an early dinner and it just didn’t stick with me for very long. At least I was feeling a bit hungry. Tonight I just let a craving get the better of me. I started to try and distract and gave in too quickly. Oh well, tomorrow is another opportunity to do my best.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    I meant under 160 lbs not 150 yet. Thats the next one!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Day 15 - 179.8

Yay! The downward trend continues!! I don't expect it to stay under. Today is our office Christmas party, and I'm ready to indulge. I say indulge but not overstuff! My guess is the food is going to be pizza and wings. Bunch of guys, that's their go-to party requisite. But I also think they will get a salad to "balance" things out! So my plan is to fill up on salad, have a slice of pizza and at least 4 wings! After the hell weekend we had, we deserve to Live It Up! I finally feel back to normal today. So yeah...PARTY!!!
    Have an awesome day everyone!