What's On Your Mind Today?

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Awesome work Julie! You are really crushing those goals! Very impressive! <3
    @jamcnewman
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,046 Member
    Thank you for your encouragement Maddie and Teresa ♥️♥️
    @MadisonMolly2017 @Mrs_Hoffer
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Also at the top of the Dec 16 thread. Check both places for possible comments / responses.

From the MFP blogs / articles tab. The biggest take-away is "knowing your circle as you do - plan/practice strategic responses ahead of time if needs be" If you already have a strategy that works - go with that! (and share if willing)

"What might be the motivation behind the actions of 4 main types of food pushers." (you would know best the most-likely re people in your own circle.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/types-of-food-pushers-during-the-holidays-and-how-to-respond/

For the "trying to show love via food / I'm stuffed now but can you pack me a slice to take home for later" scenario .... there is nothing to say WHICH "waist vs waste" container it went into once you got home ..... ;)
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    My monthly weigh-in at the dietician was this afternoon and I’m down another 5.2 pounds on the scale this month (lost 6.6 pounds of fat and increased muscle mass). Total loss so far is 40.2 pounds (since August 2021).

We are going to keep calories and macros the same over the next month and I intend to keep my exercise levels up. I will consider it a success if I maintain this loss and avoid a gain.

Julie

Way to go!!
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,492 Member
    So I have a question for those of you who do IM or Fasting or OMAD or some other very specific WOE.

Is this a WOE you intend to continue once you reach your target maintenance weight or is this just a short term WOE (Way of eating) to lose weight? Or is this just something you are trying for a little while to change things up?

Is the current WOE you are doing sustainable forever?

I've been doing 16:8 IF for about 2 or 3 years now for about 95% of the time. Normally break my fast sometime after noon and end my eating by 8pm. I'm not super strict - if I eat something at 9pm, I'll just slide my next day's breaking of fast to after 1pm. For me, it has been sustainable since I always felt like I forced myself to eat breakfast ("most important meal of the day"). I don't know if I truly am doing it correctly since I drink black decaf coffee in the morning. My main goal was to help limit evening snacking.

It works for me to help manage calories as I tend to have a pretty low-cal lunch and then dinner, sweets, and some tea. If we're in a social situation or traveling, I don't worry too much about not doing a fast. I used to use an app called Zero to track my fasting periods, but just do it intuitively now.

I've lost weight doing IF. I've gained weight doing IF. I've maintained weight doing IF. Side benefit: only having to track 2 meals. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @SummerSkier - I didn't go keto to stay on it forever. That said I can seem to theoretically maintain it longer, but the way I eat on keto is miles away from how most do keto or even describe it. I find options a bit limited. I'm currently raising my daily carbs though so I guess I'm coming out of it although still very low carb at the moment. Short answer, no.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,238 Member
    @dsgoingtodoit For me IF has really been worth the effort. 16:8 has really helped me in terms of keeping my hunger down and just plain making life easier without having to feel like I need to eat breakfast. It just seems so much easier to just have a policy against food after supper until lunch, instead of all those little food decisions. And now that I have started to extend that to some 24 hour fasts, it is amazing to me how much energy I have, how good I have felt on those fasting days, and how little hunger has been a problem. Also was a surprise how much I have the sense of extra TIME and freedom on days when it is not all about food. For me, just taking each step very slow to make sure I was ¨fat adapted¨ has been the key, I believe.

@SummerSkier I do expect that at least 12-14 hour nightly fasts, if not 16 hour ones, will be a permanent WOE for me. It is just so amazingly easy and helpful to me. And I think it is highly probable I will use occasional 24 hour or longer fasts to help maintain my weight. I think genetically I will always be prone to insulin resistance, for which the intermittent fasting and low carb dieting is recommended. Although I might not always restrict carbs as much as I am now-- I really hope I can make my permanent lifestyle be very low sugar and very low on processed foods.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,238 Member
    I wanted to ask if anyone else in this group has an interest in whether they have an obesogenic gut microbiome and are incorporating resistant starch, probiotics, prebiotics etc to try to influence their weight loss in that manner. As well as if anyone else has had their gut microbiome genetically sequenced and what they found.

I assume some of you have not had this body of research on your radar. Here is a clip from a YouTube video from the director of the American Gut Project where he talks about how this relates to a tendency to be obese. https://youtu.be/2iKHMyWzclM?t=489

Because I have had an interest in the microbiome for many years after seeing the effects of anti-biotics on the behavior of my child therapy clients and had also previously been diagnosed with ¨leaky gut¨, I had my gut microbiome sequenced by Viome and was quite impressed with the report and advise I got. I also highly recommend the book ¨Total Gut Balance¨ by Mahmoud Ghannoum (the founder of Biohme, a competitor of Viome, who also offers testing of the gut microbiome but who very ethically writes about how you can improve your gut without recommending his own or other products.) Here is a video interview of him regarding how our microbiome affects us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jy8j2FaKGY&amp;t=4903s&amp;ab_channel=DhruPurohit

I think this area is one of the most exciting things--- that perhaps the reason we are fat has more to do with what our choices and history has done to our gut microbiome than about our own genetics, and that there are actionable steps to make ourselves less ¨obesogenic.¨ The idea that much of my cravings my be related to signals my gut bacteria are sending me instead of truly being my own cravings is a very intriguing area.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    edited December 2021
    @ideas2 I never really delved into this type of thing before. It's interesting. I know that a lot of the "cravings" I get are due to smell which can make my gut start talking. For instance when I am leaving work for lunch and I walk by a lot of folks eating very fragrant meals I do get a lot hungrier. I think that is why fast foods are so successful in many ways. They cater to the sense of smell.

Thank you all for your response on the long term WOE question. I do know some folks in maintenance who use Keto or IF longer term. I experimented a little bit with skipping breakfast and only having juice and a small amount until lunchtime but I found that I was overly hungry by then and tended to have too big a meal. Adding a bowl of oatmeal to the morning seemed to completely help that. (I guess it does stick to the walls of your digestive system better just like your bowl?)

PS. the only reason I was skipping breakfast was I seemed to be running out of time to get to work so just carrying some V8 with me was easier.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,528 Member
    Frustrated with the most current apple update things that once worked well what can I say … almost makes me want an android phone !
  • BMcC9
    I have a "poor man's version" of a wobble-board that has been gathering dust. I have it out now, and am using it in mini-session spurts. Like every morning while my coffee is brewing; then while reading a chapter or two of my e-text book while I drink the coffee......

I am planning to diversify from typical "pure cardio-girl" into more balance & beginner Upper Body Functional Strength / Over-all Functional Flexibility through-out the week.

It will be at home with light dumbbells (2.5 / 5 / 10 pounders) and resistance bands. (and body-weight type exercises) I also have a set of strap-to-wrists (or ankles) weights that can be adjusted to between 1 and 5 pounds per side. And there are the balance exergame activities in Wii Fit+ that could augment the wobble-board.

Any youtube trainer or program suggestions, anyone?
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    @BMcC9 I'll always recommend EPIC. Best workout I've ever done. And I say this as an experienced weight lifter. But doing weights at home is different than in a gym especially for lower body. If you've not done much with weights then her beginner series is a good intro. Also for the month of December she is doing 24 days of 20 minute workouts that might also work for someone who hasn't spent a lot of time with weights.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I'm afraid I have no trainer or program recommendations, but I would suggest adding in a variety of core isometric holds to develop your entire core, without that as a base no amount of balance and flexibility training will take you very far until such training builds that strength second-hand. I suggest planks on all sides (front, sides, reverse) and don't forget the other direction (such as supermans and hollow holds or leg lifts).
  • BMcC9
    Core work of some type is definitely intended as part of my generic Functional Strength category! I am a "dance styles of all types / master of none" and have been practically since before I could walk.
    I am very aware of what a difference a strong core makes. (always good for someone to mention specifically, for those who might not realize, or tend to not think of "core" as more than in a "visual look / waist measurement" capacity (and I am talking to the men here too!)
  • BMcC9
    WHILE drinking my morning coffee,
    I STOOD on my wobble-cushion (for the 5th day in a row)

zhtaeg1a1oxv.jpg
  • BMcC9
    What do YOU like to listen to while Doing Your Activity Thing?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10849584/whats-on-your-mind-today#latest
    In my exergame is a total of 120 songs at a WIDE variety of speeds as well of "mixed gendres" from the 2008 - 2009 era. I tend to stick to the upper third but NOT the fastest. (I have to "walk to the beat" to get gamepoints) And in that range there ARE individual tracks that I "turn off"