Got off my diabetes meds.

I started doing Carnivore/Keto on 9/11/2021. Eating under 10 g of carbs a day. My A1C in July was 9.6. When I went back in November, after 2 months eating better, it was 5.6. I was getting 65-85 readings, so my doctor got rid of 15 units of basal Insulin, and cut the dose size on the 2 pills I was on. I have continued getting lower blood sugar readings, but only 1 low blood sugar.

I have lost 46 lbs. too, in 104 days, which helped. I called my doctor, since it has been a month, and told her I was still getting 70-90 readings 3x a day.. and she put me on a trial run off all the meds. So I stopped the pills starting Monday Dec.20th at night.. bye Januvia. In the morning, my blood sugar was 142 mg/dL, and I skipped my Glimiperide and Farxiga, and lunch was 109. I ate some cheese and macadamia nuts, and it was 122 for dinner.

By Wednesday, I was back to 100-115, which I have been at since. Good enough, without meds, but I want to get to a 5.0 A1C, so hoping that once my body adjusts, it drops below 100 mg/dL again.

I get very high blood sugars when I eat carbs, so I just prefer not to eat them. I get 5-7 g in eggs, chicken livers, and some ham a day.. I spent 5 years off all meds, from 2012-the end of 2016.. with A1C's between 5-5.4, so I know it is possible. I ate a few veggies back then.. tomatoes, mushrooms, and green beans ( 10-15 g/day )..

So far, so good. I have to keep checking, and in February, I will get my A1C tested again, and stay off the meds, if my A1C is 5.7 or below.. if I jump back over 120 though, I have to call my doctor, and go back on meds, but I think as long as I stick to meat, eggs, fats, and water, I will be fine.

I don't plan to screw up again, and go back on these meds. I have plenty of other issues to deal with, but cutting 3 pills off the list, on top of the Insulin, which I had just started, is nice.

Next is my gout med.. no flare-up in a decade, and my statin.. my cholesterol numbers are VERY low. Doctors need to be convinced to cut meds though. This is a great start. I think the doctor was just scared I was so close to 70 mg/dL, which is why she is letting me do this.. plus I did it before.

Replies

• sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member
    Great you are off your meds
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Great you are off your meds

Me too!
  • lolek8bolek
    lolek8bolek Posts: 1 Member
    Thank You for this post. I've tried eating low-carb before, but didn't fully invest the time needed to research and plan. I know my health depends on me getting my blood sugar under control, and it's good to hear that you've been able to do this with a low-carb lifestyle. I like that you mention you eat tomatoes, mushrooms & green beans. I love all of those, and can imagine some great dishes using those 3 veggies.
  • 2t9nty
    Thank You for this post. I've tried eating low-carb before, but didn't fully invest the time needed to research and plan. I know my health depends on me getting my blood sugar under control, and it's good to hear that you've been able to do this with a low-carb lifestyle. I like that you mention you eat tomatoes, mushrooms & green beans. I love all of those, and can imagine some great dishes using those 3 veggies.

I have found it fairly easy to follow. I am just a famously a "very picky" eater at social events. You almost have to be cooking for yourself at home.
  • divainlasvegas
    divainlasvegas Posts: 4 Member
    My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes and I’m pretty sure I am pre-diabetic. We are thinking of going with the keto diet but concerned about our kidneys. Also, the biggest challenge is that he absolutely hates vegetables. He literally only eats two vegetables… Raw carrots and raw cauliflower. That’s it! So when I saw it in your post that you don’t eat vegetables I was encouraged. I can’t imagine living without them but he hates them. He also hates all fruit. So I guess he’s a perfect candidate for keto? Where does the fiber come from? I’m so impressed with your numbers.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,291 Member
    I have Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 because of diabetes. With diabetes we are to eat more vegetables and fruit. I had looked into Keto but the fat level is not good. When you think about it, if you are overweight, when you eat low protein, starches, vegetables and fruit you would lose weight, correct the diabetes and you would just naturally burn up the stored fat from what has been stored in your body.

I have been told by the doctor that I need to go Whole Food (vegetables) and fruit, absolutely NO salt, and to also eliminate all sugar and flour as they are addictive making us want to eat more of the wrong types of food.

A friend recommended Dr. McDougall's plan = there is a book (this friend sent it to me) called The McDougall Program 12 days to dynamic health. If nothing else it is a good read to get some knowledge from a heart doctor of over 50 years who now treats people with weight issues. Basically his plan is low protein getting it from vegetables, legumes and beans and fruit. No animal products, no dairy and no oil

I have been following it now for 3 weeks (I don't have animal products now, no dairy but still use a little oil and will eventually get rid of that) and I generally feel so much better though I am dealing with some health problems at this time.

Let me know if you want more information
  • 2t9nty
    My husband was just diagnosed with diabetes and I’m pretty sure I am pre-diabetic. We are thinking of going with the keto diet but concerned about our kidneys. Also, the biggest challenge is that he absolutely hates vegetables. He literally only eats two vegetables… Raw carrots and raw cauliflower. That’s it! So when I saw it in your post that you don’t eat vegetables I was encouraged. I can’t imagine living without them but he hates them. He also hates all fruit. So I guess he’s a perfect candidate for keto? Where does the fiber come from? I’m so impressed with your numbers.

I have pretty low fiber, and it does not seem to create problems for me, I have been keto since 2016. Carrots are carby, but the cauliflower is a good one. Avocado is my fruit of preference. I have not had issues with kidneys. Feel free to friend me if you want to look at my food diary.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,291 Member
    @divainlasvegas how is it going with making changes - I know it is only a couple of days but any enlightment on how you are going to make changes.

I know for me it was getting rid of salt because of the kidneys and my kidneys have been damaged due to my diabetes. Also started with giving up dairy - was difficult first couple of days but honestly I don't miss eggs, milk or cheese. Never was one that liked yogurt. And was told to only have 2 oz of 'meat' once a day where before I was having it 2x plus 2 eggs. As of today I am going meat free for 12 days to see how I feel. Heavier on the starch - I know a lot of people dont do this when they have diabetes but i have talked to many people with diabetes who are eating this way (heavy on the starch) and are now off their diabetic meds. So will see. Have been able to cut the water pill by 1/2 so have made some progress. Will see how it goes in August when I get the next blood work done.

• 2t9nty
    My next A1C is in July so not TOO far off myself.