Laundry room

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Dry fitting done... Basically dry fitting involves placing the tiles where they're going to end up being mortared... including cutting around corners, drains etc... For example, that floor drain below the laundry sink ended up being on the corner of three separate tiles. While that might sound like a nuisance (and it is a bit), that's better than having it in the centre of a tile since cutting out the middle is trickier than cutting corners, so to speak...

env3gn2lkscf.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    So far, so good... I should be able to finish up the tiling tomorrow. Then I'll cut tiles to make edging.

ld2wtpcgyhmr.png
    bt58bvhchvow.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I emptied the hot water tank again and slid it aside so I could tile underneath and behind it...

6xij47bys1ou.png

And as the luck of such things goes, I ran out of mortar with only a few tiles left...

q5bur2upxu2p.png

Done!! I'll leave it overnight to set. Tomorrow morning, I will slide the hot water tank back into place and refill it. Then I can start cutting tiles to make the edging around the room... same way as I did in the bathroom...

2hj66z6k686g.png

• UncleMac
    Options
    Well, that was an adventure I'd prefer to never ever repeat... I started my morning off early, thinking it would only take a moment to set the hot water tank back into place and start it refilling etc... Yeah, not so much...

When I took it off the little stand I'd created, the tank shifted hard enough dislodge one of the pipe fittings... naturally, it was the pressurized side so water started spraying everywhere. I had to move the tank to a stable position (so it didn't do more damage) then run to shut off the water main.

I checked the fitting and it seemed intact so I guessed (wrong) it wasn't broken... just slipped... So I put the tank into place, cleaned up most of the water, then pushed the fitting back into place. I turned the water main back on for a second... long enough to hear spraying... then shut it off again.

Such a messy nuisance!! I cleaned up the water... dried myself off... then went to the hardware store and bought a new fitting... two, actually, as I figured the second fitting might also be damaged. I came home, removed the damaged fitting, put the new fitting in and then turned the water main back on... no leaks...

Needless to say, I've been walking around all day, waiting for the sound of water gushing from the second fitting but it seems to be holding. So the next thing to do is install tiles as baseboards around the perimeter of the laundry room and then grout the newly installed tiles.

ir4icike7eje.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Baseboard tiles... Once the install is done, I'll grout the last bunch of tiles, then a seal of silicon along the bottom of the baseboards so any water on the floor stays out of the walls... and ends up going to the floor drain (by the sink).

bwkyxecbg9bb.png
    5htkc55l5fxw.png
    msdg3aaqlvio.png
  • DogloverTerri
    DogloverTerri Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great job πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Great job πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    I deliberately moved the hot water tank a bit farther off the wall so such tasks would be easier.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Baseboard tiles done... Next up... grout...

du8c9az8ssns.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Getting this squared up, leveled etc etc... I think it would be easier with two people; hard to hold pieces up and measure at the same time. Ah well... I got it done...

I figured out a way to mount the laser level up high enough so setting the support wires was easier and precise!

rx9fvxx6v5ab.png
    an5cwgz2gha2.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I'm not happy with how my homemade tiles.. they're a bit too flimsy. I'd hoped that would allow them to settle into the grid but no such luck. So I'm going to have to buy some ceiling tiles. Le sigh...

wjs7gbvwx8af.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    If you notice in the picture above, the hvac vent is above the new grid (upper left). The vent ended up lining up with one of the main spars. I was focused on symmetry of the tiles in the room; the vent was secondary.

So I needed to modify the vent location as well as to lower it to the level of the tiles. That meant moving the wood support and extending the pipe. As luck would have it, I had a flexible fitting I used to both extend and lower the vent... and the wooden support was only held by one nail at each end. Easy peasy.

u3m2jl9syqxt.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Ceiling tiles are done!! Woot woot!! So glad to have that task over!! As per previous picture, here's how the vent turned out... I'm quite pleased with it. The fibreglass tiles were a pleasure to work with and fitted into the tracks nicely & easily... although my forearms were itchy afterward...

6doowxqrmrtm.png

b3kgs7b4vr5l.png
  • UncleMac
    Options

Making the laundry room as utilitarian as possible... I decided to add in shelves... above the laundry sink and above the space where the deep freeze will be located shortly.

• UncleMac
    Options
    I'm particularly proud of the lower corners of the trim where I decided to cut the edge to match the angle of the trim... and it worked out really well...

t590pxurhko0.png
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Looks great πŸ‘
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Looks great πŸ‘

Thank you. It's not fancy but very clean and modern looking.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I planed and sanded the window sill, then used wood filler so the trim will look like it's one solid piece...

wstd6dszxpte.png

ahnw6u2s7g9t.png

b9nd3l9osff8.png

aoz6zgblapgc.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's really coming along nicely!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: Β»
    It's really coming along nicely!

A couple coats of the "Eternal Snow" trim paint and that one is off the check list. Then I'll have to go back to crawling around on my knees again. Baseboards suck.
  • DogloverTerri
    Options
    Looks GREAT πŸ‘. Baseboards DO suck.