January 4

Options
Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to reading everyone's responses to learn strategies. To your questions:

Do you track everything? Every day? Or do you skip higher calorie times?
    I mostly track. When I make a salad for lunch I sometimes weigh out my greens, but usually visually estimate since it is such a low calorie item. I also sometimes don't bother tracking things like fresh herbs - similar reason. When I have a pass day, it's generally because I find it too hard to match the right entry to what I've eaten. This is mostly when I've eaten out or at a social gathering. We eat at home most of the time and I follow recipes that I can input into the recipe calculator.

Do you weigh your food or eyeball it or both?
    Other than greens, almost always weigh. If the food item label has it listed by unit (like 12 almonds), I might weigh it once or twice, but if it is close enough to the serving size by weight I'll just go by unit count. At home it really is much easier to weigh though.

Do you look at your trends and/or averages?
    No. I really should though.

What is the best thing about tracking for you?
    Nothing? It does keep me on the straight and narrow, but I really don't like doing it. However, without it I really and truly go off the rails.

What is the thing you are working on at the moment re: tracking?
    Serving size. I cook almost all of our meals and I'll input the recipe and serving size into the recipe builder. I haven't yet weighed all my pots and pans to get a net weight of the dinner to determine serving size by grams.

@enlightenme3
    Sounds great!
    I agree on lettuce & herbs!

Yes, recipes do take more work. I weigh each item before placing into pot. Then pour the cooked food into a large bowl (if the pot is too heavy to weigh) & weigh the bowl+Food. Luckily the bowl goes in the dishwasher :)
  • roma7774
    roma7774 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A hours walk followed by 1.5 mile run
    All food and drink logged
    Under allocated calories
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I'm looking forward to reading everyone's responses to learn strategies. To your questions:

What is the best thing about tracking for you?
    Nothing? It does keep me on the straight and narrow, but I really don't like doing it. However, without it I really and truly go off the rails.

Sorry to quote myself, but reading this back I realize I need an attitude change when it comes to tracking.

How awesome @enlightenme3 !!
    A turning point, no doubt.

I know it was for me.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    roma7774 wrote: »
    A hours walk followed by 1.5 mile run
    All food and drink logged
    Under allocated calories

Way to go @roma7774 👏👏👏🎉
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Solid advice @MadisonMolly2017 and plenty for me to think about as I continue forward. Thanks for your willingness to share your detailed experience!

Growth in assertiveness is definitely an area of personal improvement that I'd like to work on. I have already made some progress (for example in the past I would have hid away and pretended I wasn't even trying to lose weight which for someone like me was a passive behavior), but there's much more to tackle!