Other Ways to Satisfy the Dopamine Demands

Options
lauriekallis
lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
edited January 2022 in Social Groups
Stress hits - sadness, excitement, injury or ... ?... doesn't matter, good or bad - the brain hamsters demand highly palatable food. And lots of it.
What to do?
How do you stop the binge before it starts. I used to smoke - but that is out of the question :D Let's make a list of our tricks - a grab bag we can come to at those moments.

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I dont' have a binge problem so I can't speak from that direction, but if I get a craving I can't ignore, I try compromising with myself and doing the math to work it into my calorie count for the day. Such as 1 cookie instead of 2 or half a serving, or substituting something else that is similar but less calorie dense.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    Options
    I don’t binge per se. When anxiety hits I tend to walk around grazing on anything and everything. Carrot followed by cookies, handful of candy, chips, leftover bits from refrigerator - all day long. A few dozen of those grazes add up to a lot of never-satisfying calories. Sometimes even having a complete meal can be followed by crazy grazing. Most days I can distract myself but sometimes the crazies last a few days. Never know what’s going to trigger it. Wish I had a better strategy than trying not to do it or think about it. Somehow while doing this my head is on another planet.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I guess I should not have included the word binge in that description because that's really restrictive. I guess I was thinking of any time that we feel strongly compelled to eat for reasons other than hunger or nourishment.
  • lauriekallis
    edited January 2022
    Options
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of, Yooly.

Sometimes I can cut off the initial urge by calling and chatting with a friend who is very talkative so our conversation can go on for maybe an hour and sometimes the urge will have passed.

It seems if I give in it just keeps rolling and the urge can get even stronger.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    And the worst part is that I know it’s not physical hunger. It’s some emotional need that I can’t fix immediately. Could be big or small anxiety and off I go! 😱
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you about a binge lol…who can relate?….be honest…..it usually starts in the afternoon or evening and continues for 4 or 5 hours to a couple of weeks until it becomes your “ normal”…after a meal you think you just need “ a little something sweet”…. You have a cookie and it is gone so quick you need another….and then another…..or you are depressed or anxious…..it’s like a snowball rolling down hill….with me it gets to the point that I eat until I am sick….I swear I won’t do it again, but I do….it isn’t grazing or mindless….it is like something takes over and you can’t stop…..I might eat two or three candy bars followed by an entire bag of cookies and a quart of milk….I do not fill up…I can eat until I feel sick, wait an hour or so and then eat more….I rarely throw up but wish I could….usually IBS begins….and food not touching goes out the window….I have bologna and peanut butter sandwiches….Hershey bar loaded with peanut butter on top….butter and sugar mixed and spread on toast…a roll of ritz crackers with cream cheese and jelly….cereal in a mixing bowl loaded with sugar….an entire pie….it really doesn’t matter as long as I am filling that void…..I wish I knew what I was trying to feed….
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    You are so right Connie. What are we trying to feed? I would have tried therapy if I’d had the money to find a good therapist in my youth. Now I could afford therapy but don’t want to waste precious time at my age trying to find the solution.
    I don’t think I’ll ever get the crazies under total control. Best I can hope for is being able to manage most lapses.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Let's try to short circuit the response we've developed of eating and discover other things we can do to boost those dopamine levels.

Only thing I can think of for me is music - and maybe dancing around the house. Just for one song.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Pacing and taking out the girl and or listening to an audiobook while out, or going lower cal and volume tend to work.

When I don't go out, it's almost continuous graze. Usually feeling tired, or cold, or agitated.

And I WOULD have sworn I didn't engage in emotional eating.

Took a while to even see it in myself.
    Now I can also see it in close relatives.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Whew Bella what a grim childhood! Glad to know you’ve been able to work through and find some healing. It’s surely a long road but you’ve made great progress.
    I’m sure many of us, myself included, have food disfunction rooted in childhood. Mine was basically being happily overfed by starved immigrant parents who were thrilled to put food on the table. My two thin sisters balked at overeating while I was the poster child for the available bounty of freedom.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Thank you, Bella. I can't even reply properly but wow what an experience even to read. I know that I will come back to your post again and again and will benefit from what you have shared with us. At the same time I'm so very sorry that you had to go through what you did to learn what you so generously share with us here.

I had a little of that, Yooly. My wonderful dad always stopped at the store and brought home special treats for me every payday, and if he worked overtime. Oh how good those treats made me feel.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Folks, I don't want to give a wrong impression. In parts my childhood/adolescence was pretty grim, but in parts it was perfectly fine. My mom had a very complex personality and was a very damaged woman in many ways, but I was never in the slightest doubt that I was loved. She and my dad would literally have lain down their lives for us without a second's hesitation, and they made enormous sacrifices for us. Mom was of the generation that believed in tough love - it was because she loved and worried about me that she did her best to force me into what she saw as a better shape. She wanted me to have a fulfilled and happy romantic/personal life and a fulfilling career, and she thought being fat would hinder me to achieve both those things.

So her interventions came from a place of love and concern....and though dreadful, they were well-intentioned. I think I survived pretty well, all things considered, and plenty of folks have far worse childhoods.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Bella - you have such a good heart and so much strength. Your words of compassion and understanding are beautiful to read.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I think most parents TRY to do what they think is best for their kids but some fail miserably…my moms dad was an abusive alcoholic and he would hit my mom when she was a child and it left her scarred….but she still loved him and he was a good provider for the family always having food and clothing for them….I never could figure out why my mom still loved him….Bella I want to give the little girl you were the biggest hug….the way my parents coped with me being overweight was taking me to the doctors and getting me diet pills!….I lost weight but I was buzzed a lot of the time!….all in the name of love….
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a loving home but in a family that came from hard working farmer stock and who cooked liked farmer's wives though we no longer lived on farms or worked hard enough to need those excess calories. Portions sizes were always large, which makes it hard for me this day to accurately judge what is a true portion.

I have the bad habit of a handle here, a pinch there, too, so I've also had to really restrict the snackable food in the house!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Eating an apple with just a little peanut butter or chocolate hummus keeps me satisfied some time
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I try putting the trigger foods into small packet. Hoping if I can’t control the crazies at least it will be a smaller portion.